Pools golden years

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pools Golden Years
Imo. pools golden years started in the late 60's ...1967-68-69, and went through the 70's decade. During that time we had pools most colorful characters, characters that became legendary for their entertainment value which they brought to everyone through their charisma and charm. If you will, I would like to rate some of these people/players from what I remember of them, of course i'm probably going to leave some people/players out, however, anyone can bring up names of their favorite characters.

The absolute elite character of all characters is the great "Minnesota Fats" Fat's Imo. stands alone on the top tier of the worlds greatest pool characters.

The next tier would be Imo. Ronnie Allen and Keith McCreedy, both of these players always drew the largest crowds whenever they performed, both on and off the table. Of course it didn't hurt that they were both upper echelon players as well.

The next tier is a little more crowded with player/ characters the likes of "Freddie the Beard" "Jersey Red" Johnny "The Foghorn" Ervolino "U.J. Puckett" "Omaha Fats" "Ernest Nubby Morgan" Peter Lindhart rabbit" Please excuse the misspelling of some of the players mentioned, but none the less, these guys were a large part of "Pools Golden Years" the way I remembered them.

Action was fast and plentiful, players were many, entertainment was non stop, life was good. Pools Golden Years.

Dr. Bill

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i agree, i saw the very end of it in 85 when i started going to the pool room daily, i remember guys talking about 10 years prior and how things declined-this was in 85. At first i didnt get it, after a year or 2 I got it and even though I wasnt there I can see how it must have been, I have seen the decline since 85. Especially in action. in 80-84 was the "golden era of video games" the arcades, I was in that world and it too has disappeared as well-similar to pool in some ways.:(

great post Dr. Bill

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Pools Golden Years
Imo. pools golden years started in the late 60's ...1967-68-69, and went through the 70's decade. During that time we had pools most colorful characters, characters that became legendary for their entertainment value which they brought to everyone through their charisma and charm. If you will, I would like to rate some of these people/players from what I remember of them, of course i'm probably going to leave some people/players out, however, anyone can bring up names of their favorite characters.

The absolute elite character of all characters is the great "Minnesota Fats" Fat's Imo. stands alone on the top tier of the worlds greatest pool characters.

The next tier would be Imo. Ronnie Allen and Keith McCreedy, both of these players always drew the largest crowds whenever they performed, both on and off the table. Of course it didn't hurt that they were both upper echelon players as well.

The next tier is a little more crowded with player/ characters the likes of "Freddie the Beard" "Jersey Red" Johnny "The Foghorn" Ervolino "U.J. Puckett" "Omaha Fats" "Ernest Nubby Morgan" Peter Lindhart rabbit" Please excuse the misspelling of some of the players mentioned, but none the less, these guys were a large part of "Pools Golden Years" the way I remembered them.

Action was fast and plentiful, players were many, entertainment was non stop, life was good. Pools Golden Years.

Dr. Bill

My Buddy Popcorn tells me stories of the good old days.Not sure if everthing he tells me is true but what a time you guys lived in.
Man things have changed.

Thanks for your post.
Anthony

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Dr,

Being born in 1966, My golden years started just after the Movie The Color Of Money came out around 1990ish. I'm from the Philly burbs, and very lucky that Jersey, New York etc. are so close.

As soon as I could I took jobs in a few rooms here in Pa. and watched top tier players like Sigel, Hopkins, Jimmy Matts, Jack Colovito, Rempe all of which played in our tournys.

Then you had nightly action with the top locals like Andy Toth, Pineapple, Bob Maidoff, Russel Parsons, Dave Daya, and on and on.

It really was for me an education in personalities. It has been 20 years since all that and I think we are due for the next "go round" in the glory days of pool. My good friend Jimmy just purchased Classics Billiards here in PA. near where Allen used to have the expo. I hope we can get that place rolling again......it has all the right parts in place to be a REALLY good action spot IMO.

cool thread!

G.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Song for this thread: "Golden Years" by David Bowie

This thread is so cool, it deserves its own song!

David Bowie's "Golden Years":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HRD0ghlFSgk

What'd be fun is to take the song lyrics, and substitute-in the names of the famous pool characters mentioned in this thread.

Have to head out for an evening engagement, otherwise I'd do it.

Anyone?

-Sean

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Dr,

Being born in 1966, My golden years started just after the Movie The Color Of Money came out around 1990ish. I'm from the Philly burbs, and very lucky that Jersey, New York etc. are so close.

As soon as I could I took jobs in a few rooms here in Pa. and watched top tier players like Sigel, Hopkins, Jimmy Matts, Jack Colovito, Rempe all of which played in our tournys.

Then you had nightly action with the top locals like Andy Toth, Pineapple, Bob Maidoff, Russel Parsons, Dave Daya, and on and on.

It really was for me an education in personalities. It has been 20 years since all that and I think we are due for the next "go round" in the glory days of pool. My good friend Jimmy just purchased Classics Billiards here in PA. near where Allen used to have the expo. I hope we can get that place rolling again......it has all the right parts in place to be a REALLY good action spot IMO.

cool thread!

G.

i was born in 66 as well, was at the pool room well over a year before COM, right after that movie the pool rooms filled up some, but it was a different crowd than Dr. Bill is talking about-i'm sure you know that. it was still a great time in pool, but we missed the best times-by 15 years. being born in 1950 was the perfect time for pool IMO.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Presence

Well Dr,

cool thread!

G.

I was born in 1954. I remember going to Hi-Cue (Mike Ash was the owner). When Rempe, Fusco, Mizerak, Hopkins and the others walked into the room you knew Pool Royalty had just walked in. They seemed to have a swagger and stage presence that you rarely see today. And oh yes, my old friend Jimmy Matz...talk about presence..when he walked into a room the juke box would automatically start playing "Bad to the Bone"...what a stone cold killer for the cash!!!

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was born in 1954. I remember going to Hi-Cue (Mike Ash was the owner). When Rempe, Fusco, Mizerak, Hopkins and the others walked into the room you knew Pool Royalty had just walked in. They seemed to have a swagger and stage presence that you rarely see today. And oh yes, my old friend Jimmy Matz...talk about presence..when he walked into a room the juke box would automatically start playing "Bad to the Bone"...what a stone cold killer for the cash!!!

right on Wedge.....heres a good one....

This was a post to Jack Madden from me......I remember the time Jimmy Matts came in and I was about to close. I never met him, and he asked me to play some $5 9ball. I'll play anyone $5 9ball so we got at it. I was actually playing well, but this guy was "different". He never said much to me, but talked to himself the whole time from mumbling to back and forth conversation! After maybe an hour My mentor Andy walks in and pulls me aside half pissed asking me what the frig I was doing playing Jimmy Matts! I was like....who? He said this guy is a straight up killer, and how much have I lost? I was down $30 or so, and as I racked Jimmy guessd I was tipped off, so I put my last $50 on the table and said thats all I got man, I'll play til i's gone. about 11 minutes later I was busted. He played flawless smooth catatonic 9ball kinda like Earl. I wasn't pissed, just in awe......because the guy would play for $5 a rack!

Gerry

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing in New Jersey in 1961 so I saw and knew,and played a lot of the great and real good players of that era. Some well known and others under the radar.

Lassiter
Crane
Onifio Laurie
Ervilino
Balsis
Mosconi
Pat Fleming
Jack Colivita
The Miz
Jimmy and Pete Fusco
Neptune Joe Frady
Joe Russo
Ernie Lager
Sam "One Poke" Fauver
Doc Hazard
Hopkins
Richie from the Bronx
Grady Mathews
Lou Butera
And I'm probably leaving out a bunch.
It truly was a golden time when you could go to a local small tournament and a handful or more of world champions and real solid players would be there.
I once sat 10 feet away from Irving Crane and watched him run 141 balls in competition. And it was a free entry to watch!
I once went to West End billiards in Elizabeth NJ to play in the weekly Tournament and when I saw about half the field was the cream of the pool world at that time I decided to just watch instead because I knew this was something special.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Mizerak

I started playing in New Jersey in 1961 so I saw and knew,and played a lot of the great and real good players of that era. Some well known and others under the radar.

Lassiter
Crane
Onifio Laurie
Ervilino
Balsis
Mosconi
Pat Fleming
Jack Colivita
The Miz
Jimmy and Pete Fusco
Neptune Joe Frady
Joe Russo
Ernie Lager
Sam "One Poke" Fauver
Doc Hazard
Hopkins
Richie from the Bronx
Grady Mathews
Lou Butera
And I'm probably leaving out a bunch.
It truly was a golden time when you could go to a local small tournament and a handful or more of world champions and real solid players would be there.
I once sat 10 feet away from Irving Crane and watched him run 141 balls in competition. And it was a free entry to watch!
I once went to West End billiards in Elizabeth NJ to play in the weekly Tournament and when I saw about half the field was the cream of the pool world at that time I decided to just watch instead because I knew this was something special.

I was told at the weekly tournament at West Ends (14.1 race to 150) Mizerak would actually intentionally lose the lag and take the 2 fouls (Illegal break) when he broke so he could run 152 and out and win the high run prize!!!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I came out of the suburbs of Chicago/Glen Ellyn, close to Villa Park middle sixties. Every town and most bowling alleys had pool rooms, this was before coin op tables. The beginning of the Gold Crowns heyday. There was a powder cone in every room, good Brunswick wall cues, a soda machine and some candy at the counter, some places sold cues also. The sounds of the wooden racks, the noises of youth, and most rooms didn't have music to play, none had food cept chips, not many/if any.... had alcohol, but cigarettes were the norm'. Next ended up in at SIU carbondale IL, Very close to Johnston City. We'll I missed the first year in 67 but didn't miss much after that till the raid ended it all.
I got to see most of em, and Squirrel the hippie, win the event. And the raid.

Bill Amadeo
Al Cosloski
Cue Ball Kelly
Cosmo
Ed Kelly
Springfield Rifle
Boston Shorty
Ronnie Allen....in his prime
Lassiter, with his red short ferrule
Rempe in stroke
Jimmy Marino in stroke
Mexican Johnny
Joe Balsis
Irving Crane
Fats
Omaha Fats
Wild World of Sports
Daddy Warbucks
Varner
Local DuQuoin and IL players
Gary Spaeth
Handsome Danny Jones
Cornbread Red
Jack Brett
Weenie Beenie
Diliberto
Louie Roberts
Cole Dixon
Sizemore
Eddie Bellamore
Bugs
Richie Florence

And I'm sure a few more.... And it's because of that I got my addiction.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Looking back, I have to say that the time when I first started playing pool, the early 90's, wasn't too bad either.

Sure many of the old greats were gone, but Sigel, Varner, Rempe, Hopkins, Howard, Buddy Hall, Jimmy Reid, Mataya, Mizerak, Keith, Fusco, Cook, Rucker, and many others were still out there playing fantastic pool. I'm biased because that is also when Accu-Stats started getting popular as well, though.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool post Billy. What do you believe the reason is as to why we don't have more "colorful" players among the professional ranks today? Alex is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head who has the entertainment value along with ability.

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thing about history is you don't know you're in the middle of it until it's over.

I was born in 53 and lived about 5 miles from Jansco's most of my early life. Fats and all of them were playing right down the road but being a kid, I had better things to do. :)

I did become friends with Sadie and Joann (wife and daughter of George Jansco) and heard a lot of great stories. But I still regret missing out on a lot especially living so close.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing pool in 1966 at the age of 14 and you had to put your name on a list unless you were there first thing when they opened. Action almost all the time with ring games going constantly. Usually not big money because it was a small town and everyone knew who the real players were. No girls allowed and a shoe shine stand in the front.. Great memories of a time when America was America..

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I was born in 1960. I never met a pro or even a short stop for most of my life. The first pro I ever met was Corey a few years back in Vegas. I did watch Danny Medina warm up on a snooker table back in the early eighties but I had no idea who he was nor did I care.

I have met a few pros since Corey (Thanks Samm D) and even got to shake hands with Earl once.
Recent Highlights would be playing Measureman half a day not long ago and meeting Island Drive a few years ago at the Denver ten ball tournament.

I have also gone out of my way to find many other AZers in my travels including Joey A and how could I forget about the whooping I got from Poolfire in KC or the lesson that Tokyo Dave gave me in nine ball.

Hu AKA ShootingArts is one player I must hang out with again someday.

Bud Winger from C-springs and Dave Gross are on my short list to meet(again)also.

Not much to brag about but I would not give any of these times up.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post "Doc"!!! :thumbup: Degree in 'poolology'...:wink:

There was still a lot of character in the 80's and 90's wasn't there??!

Besides K.M. , there were some Michigan players.. Jimmy Mataya, Bucky Bell, Porky...................

I could be wrong................I do wish I could have seen the show.

td

I have to say..... your commentating on streams is the best!!!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I was told at the weekly tournament at West Ends (14.1 race to 150) Mizerak would actually intentionally lose the lag and take the 2 fouls (Illegal break) when he broke so he could run 152 and out and win the high run prize!!!

What's so funny about this is the idea that Miz thought he had to make this move because it was entirely possible for someone else in the weekly tournament to run 150 and out. That's strong.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Pools Golden Years

Dr. Bill

I think you're right. This was the time before video games and computers, cell phones, the internet and the insta-knock.

Even growing up into pool in the mid-80s we still had the characters and lively action in the pool rooms. Now it's all so different and the characters, meaning top level players who had showmanship and charm, whose bit was worse than their bark, are about gone. These days you definitely still have characters in pool, but rarely if ever that - world has got the 7 - type of let's-get-it-on without wanting to push someone to the point of fighting.

Jimmy Reid used to tell me stories of the road and how people matched up back then. Joe Salazar as well. I wish I had been born a decade earlier.

Anyway, I think that this is as fitting a place as ever to thank you for your one pocket tape. "The one thing I learned from Efren, don't play him", priceless. At least we have a lot of Pittsburgh Billy preserved for the ages!