Cork Wrap..God/bad experience?

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wondering if any of you could please share with me your experience with a cork wrap on your cues?

Did you had one with a stain?

Did it get chipped very easily?

Do you like the feel of it?

Would you like it on your breaking cue?

Thank you.

Richard

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with an old Joss that had a cork wrap, and I liked it. Some of the old guys swear by cork. being natural, I was told cork will turn slightly darker as you play from the oils on your hands, then stay that color. I've been thinking about doing a cork wrap on one of my cues, but I don't know where to get the material?

let me know how you make out Richard...

Gerry

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wrap

About 20 yrs ago I had a stick with a cork wrap. I ordered it w/cork when I had it built.

It did get dirty pretty easy. To clean it, I used toothpaste and toothbrush. It worked pretty good. After a couple years the cork did start to deteriate. Not sure if it was due to cleaning, or lack of humidity (drying out) here in Az. Or both....

Just about that time, someone releived me of it at the old Golden Eightball poolroom in Phx. Only stick I ever had stolen. Sure wish I had it now...

I loved the feel of it, but wouldn't order another one.

Rick S.

poolbiz420

Inked Up!
Silver Member
Cork Wrap

I think Bryan Mordt (BCM Cues) put a cork wrap on a cue he re-did or refinished. I think it might be on his website some where.

Biz

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO, neoprene/ cork has the best feel/function of any wrap there is for pool cues. Had on on a Ned Morris and Jim Buss cue I played with for quite a while. Have it now on a Little Al cue I use for snooker/ golf. In terms of looks there are more limited wood combinations that harmonizes with the neoprene cork but that is the only drawback.

Martin

nipponbilliards said:
I am wondering if any of you could please share with me your experience with a cork wrap on your cues?

Did you had one with a stain?

Did it get chipped very easily?

Do you like the feel of it?

Would you like it on your breaking cue?

Thank you.

Richard

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the response.

I am just wondering if cork is easy to damage, and difficult to repair once it is damaged.

For example, if you accidentally drop it, does it chip easily? Do the little pieces come off after a while?

I would imagine that you would then have to redo the whole wrap...or can you glue the pieces together?

Is there any finish one could put on?

I personally like the feel of cork, and it is outstanding in absorbing moisture.

I will have a tiger maple model with a light golden oak stain coming out. I just think may be a golden color cork wrap would really compliment it.

Being a breaking cue, I need to consider the way the cue will be used, and think about whether it is practical.

Cork also feels quite stiff, there is no give. So there is no room for pulling it.

Thank you for the advice and feedback, much appreciated.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a thought. Why can't someone develope a bunch types of wrap material in tube form? kind of like the thing you slip on a tennis racket. They could be about 20mil (1/16th inch)and you just roll it on like a condom. If you don't like it, roll on a different one.

Gerry

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, neoprene/ cork has the best feel/function of any wrap there is for pool cues. Had on on a Ned Morris and Jim Buss cue I played with for quite a while. Have it now on a Little Al cue I use for snooker/ golf. In terms of looks there are more limited wood combinations that harmonizes with the neoprene cork but that is the only drawback.

Martin

Martin, in your view what woods do look good with cork?

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I have a custom Madden cue, cork dyed black. I love it and it still looks and feels amazing. A tad worn but still excellent.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I had a McDermott D23 years ago that had a black cork wrap...it was very nice, felt good once I got used to the texture/feel, and held up just fine...but it did get a ding in it from a fumble at the table that cut into the cork and bugged me for the rest of the time I owned it. The hole didn't spread or anything, just bugged me and I didn't know how to fill/fix it without screwing it up. I'd say having had most all types of wraps, cork might be the least durable. IMHO...

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone still have a working X-Breaker? Despite Richard's shortcomings, they were a pretty good cue.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc - You just made that site up in Photoshop, didn't you... just so you can perpetuate the rumor that there is NOTHING about cues you don't know! Well it won't work, dude! I am ONTO YOU!!! :yeah:

LOL!

There is a lot more that I don't know than I do know.
Not afraid to say that.

If I know it and say i know it, trust it.

If I am not sure or don't know I will say so.

I love the game and love chasing the history of cues.

It's about passion for me.

And I respect the makers. They are artists.

And I believe in Open Source. Share what you know.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
LOL!

There is a lot more that I don't know than I do know.
Not afraid to say that.

If I know it and say i know it, trust it.

If I am not sure or don't know I will say so.

I love the game and love chasing the history of cues.

It's about passion for me.

And I respect the makers. They are artists.

And I believe in Open Source. Share what you know.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... FORGERY!!!

:groucho:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm not really familiar with cork wraps (never even seen one). But if it's in fact made from REAL cork, then repairing it would be no problem. I've done it on several fishing rods. You just take a wine bottle cork, sand it to get cork dust. Mix that with wood glue and put it into the hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phX6m8GKj5Q

If it's some kind of rubber with a thin cork surface it should still work, I think, though it would probably be tougher to get it nice looking. If it's all rubber, then you're basically screwed, though, if the wrap is allready ruined you could try a similar method with the material of which the wrap is made. You've got nothing to lose, anyway.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cork wrapped cue and it is going on a decade old. There are a lot of picks on the azb of it already.

Looks brand new.