How many spot shots can you?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
How many spot shots can you make in a row with either of the 2 following conditions.

1) You get down on the cue ball and get one stroke and then you have to hit the cue ball. Take as much time as you want before the shot, but once your bridge hand touches the side rail or cloth you get your one pump.

or

2) You have to fire the spot shots in, no slow rolls.

Fire is subjective, but you understand that it means hit it pretty hard.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hardest shot is the first one.

You might have to shoot the shot several times if you use English to get dialed in.

I find that there is less adjustment and a faster start if you use center ball sans English.

Instead of only spot shots from the kitchen where you can get a streak going, play it as it lies.

Wherever the cue ball stops after pocketing the 1st spot shot, respot a ball but leave the CB as is.

Keep doing that trying to pocket as many as you can in the same CP. when you miss, then change CP.

Having to play position to keep the run going teaches you more than spot shots IMO cuz spot shots r ez.

I know using center ball and 1/2 object hit from the 2nd diamond apex in the kitchen pockets the OB consistently.

But maintaining shape to attain a high run, well that requires a little more versatility in one’s shooting skills.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
So how many please?
And you can have someone spotting them for you if you like.

The hardest shot is the first one.

You might have to shoot the shot several times if you use English to get dialed in.

I find that there is less adjustment and a faster start if you use center ball sans English.

Instead of only spot shots from the kitchen where you can get a streak going, play it as it lies.

Wherever the cue ball stops after pocketing the 1st spot shot, respot a ball but leave the CB as is.

Keep doing that trying to pocket as many as you can in the same CP. when you miss, then change CP.

Having to play position to keep the run going teaches you more than spot shots IMO cuz spot shots r ez.

I know using center ball and 1/2 object hit from the 2nd diamond apex in the kitchen pockets the OB consistently.

But maintaining shape to attain a high run, well that requires a little more versatility in one’s shooting skills.

How many spot shots can you make in a row with either of the 2 following conditions.

1) You get down on the cue ball and get one stroke and then you have to hit the cue ball. Take as much time as you want before the shot, but once your bridge hand touches the side rail or cloth you get your one pump.

or

Off topic, but just curious if this is, Strong Arm John?

Your name sounds like you might be an arm wrestler, and I have heard that Strong Arm John is from Indianapolis.

I used to see him sometimes (ages ago, when I was a kid) at, The Billiard Center in Cape Girardeau, when ever they would have a big tournament going on, and heard a lot of cool stories about him.

Not important, but was just curious.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i would bet on 8 at even money on a table with forgiving pockets with either one. and rob the money.

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot Shots in a Row

1994 in Brenden's Billiards, Fairview Heights, IL on a Valley bar box with the cue ball on the head spot, object ball on the foot spot and balls being spotted as fast as I could shoot them...147 in a row without a scratch. Yep, I did it. I never stood up. I think I missed because my back started to hurt.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think four in a row would be very impressive in either case.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know how many spot shots I can make in a row since I never pushed myself to find out.
I have done 1/2 dozen to either CP many times but maybe I’d have missed on the next attempt. I
never tried to see how many in a row. I usually practice spots shots before playing in a ring game.
For my other drill, my best is 16, however, one of my practice partners pocketed 28 in a row and
it was pure delight to see him glide the cue ball into position so much more skillfully than I could do.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

or

under rule one, maybe 10 in a row
under rule two, maybe 3 in a row

middleofnowhere

Registered

or

If I told you a guy made over 1100 would think I was nuts? I was there. He could make 98 out of 100 on a bet and made hundreds in a row everyday just practicing. By the way, using his system most of the better players in the room often did 40, 50, 60 and more. No trick just a technique.

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago a friend and I were in a bar with a coin operated table. I think it was a 7 or 8 footer, not a 6 or 9. Near end of the night,not wanting to waste coins, we decided to hit spot shots, best of 10. After 2 or 3 rounds, I made 10 in a row. My friend continued setting up the spot, I continued hitting them in. After about 30 or 40 it got boring and I started working on cue ball control. I got it so I could stop the cue ball at or near the head spot. I believe I did manage 3 in a row where I didn't have to move at all, the cue ball stopped on the spot. bar tender called closing time, we asked for a bit more time and then he turned the lights out. I hit 87 by time and I am not sure how many more I could have, easily over a 100 maybe more.

Craig

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

or

1) Played like this for years. Still can, if I choose to.

2) So long as I don't have to worry about position, I can fire them in, too.

I have no idea how many shots I can make in a row, you'll have to wait untill I can get to a table. Neither of the two conditions given will impact the pocketing ability much, if at all for me. If I have to land on a dime with finesse, that's where I break down, compared to better players.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I told you a guy made over 1100 would think I was nuts? I was there. He could make 98 out of 100 on a bet and made hundreds in a row everyday just practicing. By the way, using his system most of the better players in the room often did 40, 50, 60 and more. No trick just a technique.
I assume you are talking about "Spot Shot Kenny" Kiddy. He is mentioned in another recent thread. There is a link to a recent video of him.

What was the technique?

Here's the other thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=511883

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
PLEASE don't insult me like that.

Off topic, but just curious if this is, Strong Arm John?

Your name sounds like you might be an arm wrestler, and I have heard that Strong Arm John is from Indianapolis.

I used to see him sometimes (ages ago, when I was a kid) at, The Billiard Center in Cape Girardeau, when ever they would have a big tournament going on, and heard a lot of cool stories about him.

Not important, but was just curious.