Derby City Dress Code

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An argument can be made that such attire is restrictive and cumbersome for tennis at the elite level. Being an athletic sport.

That argument can't be made for pool.

Yeah, these guys can fancy themselves athletes all they want. They are not.

Does better attire restrict the ability to stroke a cue? No.

Does it restrict the ability to break? No.

Does it make reaching for shots more difficult? No.

Are pool players drenched in sweat, playing outdoors in the sun in 90 degree weather? No.

Business casual or even formal wear is not some kind of body constraining, performance hindering factor.

A collared shirt, oh my --- these pros won't be able to play their best with that pesky collar.

A tucked in shirt? With a belt! Heck, some prefer that when playing All-Fouls ...

Slacks? They can still just as easily throw a leg up on the table to reach a shot - but we'll be spared seeing their hairy leg or crotch shot.

We can't burden these high-performance, ultra-elite "cue sports" "athletes" with an expectation of wearing clothing similar to that of golf pros. Speaking of which, they don't seem to have much of a problem performing with that dress code.

Everyone has an "opinion".

I have no problem wearing whatever they dictate, but unless YOU are the promoter, you are nothing more than another player with an "opinion" who wishes to be the fashion police.

This is DCC and the events are being shown on PPV. This isn't a World Event being shown on satellites over the entire world with millions watching. This is more of a carnival atmosphere.

Like I said before, I don't have a problem with whomever running the tournament thinks I should wear, but I do have a problem with another player trying to dictate what I wear.

And, FWIW, I have a ton of nice shirts with "band" collars that I think look a LOT more dressy and classy than some golf polo with a "floppy" collar.

When I lived in the Philippines, I used to have shirts made just for shooting pool. They had front chest pockets and waist-level pockets on both sides. They were looser around the armpits and body than a regular shirt, but not baggy. They had collars and looked similar to an Aloha shirt, but without designs...they were plain white or light beige. The pockets gave me plenty of places to stash my gambling money, chalk, cigarettes, etc. and the looseness let me contort into whatever position I needed to when stretching over the table.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason the nba requires one the stricktest dress codes in all of sports. I have no idea where you have ever seen a player(before or after a game naturally) in anything close to shorts etc...this code was implemented by david stern and continues today.

09e4509fd916895e6c85f64ab834ef14.jpg

It’s a several thousand dollar bespoke suit but it is technically shorts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Whatever it is, it looks goofy.

If this is considered "fashion", I'd rather see people in sweat pants and t-shirts, as long as they are clean.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey man,i agree 100 percent that this looks ridiculous(i remember when lebron wore this) the players try to dress"around" the dress code,naturally. The point is there is one lol. If you saw him from the waist up you would think he,s dressed to the nine. I don,t own a suit,the most dressed i ever get is khakis and a golf shirt. It isn,t too much to ask "professional" poolplayers to wear .

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dress code

It makes one wonder how much better pro golfers could play if they were allowed to dress as casually as their caddies do? Incomes may triple, scores may plummet if they dressed in worn sweats! Of course such comments border on absurdity which sometimes it takes to point out the obvious. Hopefully, all will agree that when our players represent US pool at the Mosconi Cup their performance isn't impeded due to wearing unfamiliar clothing.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I want to be comfortable playing, especially when it's all day long for days on end.

Sure hate those Professional basketball and soccer players wearing shorts and t shirts/jerseys and getting paid millions - what a bunch of scumbags, no wonder nobody watches:rolleyes:
Jason
Wow. Pretty bad analogy.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Let's run this terrible reasoning to its conclusion....

To facilitate better play due to comfort and improved range of motion as a result of a perceived restriction due to attire -

Perhaps pool players should wear UFC style fighting shorts or speedos?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's run this terrible reasoning to its conclusion....

To facilitate better play due to comfort and improved range of motion as a result of a perceived restriction due to attire -

Perhaps pool players should wear UFC style fighting shorts or speedos?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let's make it "the promoters and sponsors of the tournament" decide the attire to be worn, clearly explains the dress code, and then ENFORCES it.

You don't like the "rules", you don't enter. You come to play and aren't conforming, you are barred from playing.

Simple as that.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why in the world is a Polo type shirt with a collar such a huge ask over a T-shirt?

Why is this even being discussed?

Why is a polo shirt somehow better than a t shirt?

Oh thats right, because some people feel the need to tell others what they should do, and how they should dress.
Why is this even being discussed?

The same reason the LJH thread is still on the front page. People gotta make sure others know how morally and ethically superior they are than everyone else.

This one is just about clothing rather than actions. :thumbup:

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh thats right, because some people feel the need to tell others what they should do, and how they should dress.

The same reason the LJH thread is still on the front page. People gotta make sure others know how morally and ethically superior they are than everyone else.

if I run out of rags or toilet paper t shirts are a good source....

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re:Dress code

My last comment: The purpose of this thread, I think, is to help and promote the image of pool. If successful, then professional pool players will be the primary beneficiaries. Personally, I will go watch them play and admire their talent and abilities regardless of how they dress. As long as vendors stay away and don't support players via clothing sponsorship, comfortable shoes, sport drinks, etc, then purses will stay low, image will not improve, and the public's cost to see the best pool players in the world will remain inexpensive. Resistance to positive changes in pool simply mystifies me.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My last comment: The purpose of this thread, I think, is to help and promote the image of pool. If successful, then professional pool players will be the primary beneficiaries. Personally, I will go watch them play and admire their talent and abilities regardless of how they dress. As long as vendors stay away and don't support players via clothing sponsorship, comfortable shoes, sport drinks, etc, then purses will stay low, image will not improve, and the public's cost to see the best pool players in the world will remain inexpensive. Resistance to positive changes in pool simply mystifies me.

Resistants to change that will not make one bit of difference.

I dont care what they wear. Who has looked bad on the Stream table so far? Alex with a cocked hat?
Jason

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Resistants to change that will not make one bit of difference.

I dont care what they wear. Who has looked bad on the Stream table so far? Alex with a cocked hat?
Jason

I think his jeans had a tear in them too. I had to turn it off so my children wouldn’t see it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of t shirts would be ok, but not all of them.

Pretty much all collared shirts are gonna be ok.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An argument can be made that such attire is restrictive and cumbersome for tennis at the elite level. Being an athletic sport.

That argument can't be made for pool.

Yeah, these guys can fancy themselves athletes all they want. They are not.

Does better attire restrict the ability to stroke a cue? No.

Does it restrict the ability to break? No.

Does it make reaching for shots more difficult? No.

Are pool players drenched in sweat, playing outdoors in the sun in 90 degree weather? No.

Business casual or even formal wear is not some kind of body constraining, performance hindering factor.

A collared shirt, oh my --- these pros won't be able to play their best with that pesky collar.

A tucked in shirt? With a belt! Heck, some prefer that when playing All-Fouls ...

Slacks? They can still just as easily throw a leg up on the table to reach a shot - but we'll be spared seeing their hairy leg or crotch shot.

We can't burden these high-performance, ultra-elite "cue sports" "athletes" with an expectation of wearing clothing similar to that of golf pros. Speaking of which, they don't seem to have much of a problem performing with that dress code.

Don't need a collared shirt -- sweater or henley is fine.

Jeans and sneaks OK too. They just want you to look semi-decent.

Lou Figueroa
too much to ask?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of t shirts would be ok, but not all of them.

Pretty much all collared shirts are gonna be ok.

Do you somehow feel impressed when you see someone in a polo/button down shirt?

Or do you just not want to see someone in a tshirt with a rude message printed on it?

I can have whatever message I wanted printed on a tailored suit. I can walk around DCC next year in a $3000 suit that says 'Fook you Fookin Fookers'. But hey, I would be wearing a fancy expensive suit right?

Nah, its just more judgemental bullshit that people use to make themselves feel like they are somehow 'better' than someone else.

And the 'sponsorships are hinging on dress codes' line of thought.... Anyone remember the tuxedo tournaments? Why arent pool players making NFL, MLB, or NBA etc money? They dressed all fancy, right? Why did they not have corporate sponsors tripping over themselves to put money into pool?

Maybe because the dogs are barking up the wrong tree?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you somehow feel impressed when you see someone in a polo/button down shirt?

Or do you just not want to see someone in a tshirt with a rude message printed on it?

I can have whatever message I wanted printed on a tailored suit. I can walk around DCC next year in a $3000 suit that says 'Fook you Fookin Fookers'. But hey, I would be wearing a fancy expensive suit right?

Nah, its just more judgemental bullshit that people use to make themselves feel like they are somehow 'better' than someone else.

And the 'sponsorships are hinging on dress codes' line of thought.... Anyone remember the tuxedo tournaments? Why arent pool players making NFL, MLB, or NBA etc money? They dressed all fancy, right? Why did they not have corporate sponsors tripping over themselves to put money into pool?

Maybe because the dogs are barking up the wrong tree?

Maybe they just don't want players looking like slobs.