John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No he would be in the player category for sure. I think it would be almost an insult for him to be in the meritorious service category.

We finally agree on something. Well, at least it was a BIG something.

John, as much as anyone, deserves HOF.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did John miss or did he just quit after exceeding the record by 100 balls?

Great effort from John.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Congratulations to John on a record that is impressive beyond description in the world of pool.

Bravo!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Did John miss or did he just quit after exceeding the record by 100 balls?

What do you think...?
I think with a 100 ball cushion I might have considered it just so I could say I did. :)

Reminds me of the time I walked into Amsterdam Billiards and announced I'd give Ginky the 8 for $100 game of 9-ball. He'd kill me of course, but I'd forever get to say "Yeah, I give Ginky the 8".

pj
chgo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's a reference to the legend that Mosconi wanted to go for steak dinner, and just quit on his 526 run without having missed.

John don't have any quit in him, so there's no way in hell he would have said, OK.. that's enough balls ran!!

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great new sports page article about John's astonishing feat.
It's from the Monterey Herald entitled "Surpassing a Billiards' Milestone"

https://www.montereyherald.com/2019/05/28/setting-a-billiards-milestone/

It contains many post-accomplishment interview personal reactions stated by John, like the following:

" . . . breaking Mosconi’s long-standing record is the high point of his professional life, he said. “I’ve had some bright moments in my career but this one is definitely my crowning achievement.”

After achieving his feat, he was quick to thank his sponsors, including Easy Street Billiards, Sardo Rack, Predator Pool Cues, and Taom Chalk.

But his excitement and pride in his achievement were palpable.

“When people say, ‘who’s got the world record?’ I can say ‘me,’” Schmidt beamed. “I’m the luckiest player in the world right now.”

Arnaldo

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Great new sports page article about John's astonishing feat.
It's from the Monterey Herald entitled "Surpassing a Billiards' Milestone"

https://www.montereyherald.com/2019/05/28/setting-a-billiards-milestone/

It contains many post-accomplishment interview personal reactions stated by John, like the following:

" . . . breaking Mosconi’s long-standing record is the high point of his professional life, he said. “I’ve had some bright moments in my career but this one is definitely my crowning achievement.”

After achieving his feat, he was quick to thank his sponsors, including Easy Street Billiards, Sardo Rack, Predator Pool Cues, and Taom Chalk.

But his excitement and pride in his achievement were palpable.

“When people say, ‘who’s got the world record?’ I can say ‘me,’” Schmidt beamed. “I’m the luckiest player in the world right now.”

Arnaldo

Others may come along who run more balls than Mosconi did, or perhaps even than Schmidt did, but John will always be the one who broke Mosconi's record.

That's pool immortality.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a local news broadcast about the feat (also posted by speedy5963 above) - in it they say the video and witness statements are being submitted to the BCA for certification of the new record. It also has a nice interview with John.

pj
chgo

Today I overheard some 14.1 types discussing how this BCA certification thing could backfire.

One guy said, "I heard he was racking at the wrong end of the table."

Then an udder guys says, "Man, wouldn't it be something if the BCA refused to call it an official record because the rule books says 14.1 starts with the balls racked on the foot spot."

Dead silence until a third guys shakes his head and says, "Naww."

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Today I overheard some 14.1 types discussing how this BCA certification thing could backfire.

Then an udder guys says, "Man, wouldn't it be something if the BCA refused to call it an official record because the rule books says 14.1 starts with the balls racked on the foot spot."

Lou Figueroa
Is there a formal definition of "foot" other than "the end opposite the end you break from"?

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a formal definition of "foot" other than "the end opposite the end you break from"?

pj
chgo

Dan’t know.

I vaguely remember something about it being opposite the manufacturer’s name plate but am not sure.

Lou Figueroa
never a Bob Jewett around
when you need one

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's wrong with pool ?
Js just ran over 600 balls (626) and people actually have neg things to say' wtf

Brother, if the government announced it was going to give everyone a million dollars somebody is going to go online and b!tch about the taxes. Just try to ignore the people who don't want or can't process good things. They're going to post it. Just shake your head, smile, and be thankful you're not one of them.

This is a truly wonderful and amazing thing for pool. So many people scream that pool is dead. Yet here we are. A sixty year old record has been broken.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

When the 626 hits the station.....

DB5A4872-B515-4613-AB54-1F6441C1772E.jpeg

It doesn’t matter which way the engine is facing...

0FF1405A-6F79-4CB7-A37F-5CCA93DE75BC.jpeg

...it’s in the station

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Shouldnt be. Hell if you walk up to a freshly covered drop pocket table with no ball return and no marks on the cloth from previous playing time... how do you know?