Sales Forum Rant

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a buyer you should never pay for insurance, your not the one who needs it. Everything that happens to the cue until it arrives in your hands is the responsibility of the seller. If the cue never arrives or arrives damaged, the burden is on the seller not the buyer.

That's where buyer protection comes in. Paypal holds payments for a specific amount of time and will never refuse to issue a refund for a legimate issue once you complete the return process. I have heard tell of buyers who, even upon return of defective goods, refuse to issue refunds or refuse delivery of the defective goods altogether. That leaves the buyer with the only recourse of legal action, which is a pain the **s.

If you're responding to my post which stated "As a buyer I prefer to have the option to not insure my cues." you might have misread it.

I don't want my packages labelled as valuable and potentially become a target.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yes jay but then if it gets stolen or the seller sends an empty box you just lost your money with no recourse.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
As a seller I will sometimes ask that if a buyer chooses to use paypal that they please add 3% to cover the fees or as an alternative they can pay with money orders which a very small % still do - but anyone can. I try to price what I'm selling to move while keeping in mind that between insured shipping and pp fees that I'm in over a c-note on just those. A prospective buyer can do easy math and decide if what's for sale is a good value or not with adding the fee or they can use MO's. I always include free shipping to CONUS but it doesn't offend me at all when others set a charge for it. Again, it's simple for buyers to factor these things and decide if it's a good value.

A seller is absolutely responsible for getting the purchased item to the buyer in the condition it was described and for me as a seller, I'm almost always having the package insured. And to be clear, I'm not insuring the buyer's interest - the cue (or whatever merchandise it is) is my property until it is delivered to the buyer undamaged.

As for using the Friends & Family Option on Paypal, to start with it's a crappy move because it's a lie. You are using a company's service to facilitate a deal but you are trying to duck their approx 3% service charge. Not only is this petty, imo, it's also risky because as was previously stated, as a buyer you can receive a box of rocks and you'll have zero recourse with paypal.

Always use the Goods & Services option, pay the vig and enjoy the protection.

My biggest complaint about the For Sale Forum are threads with 6k views and 20 bumps and the seller doesn't seem to realize that their items are priced wrong. :rolleyes:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're responding to my post which stated "As a buyer I prefer to have the option to not insure my cues." you might have misread it.

I thought your comment about no insurance was sarcasm.

As a seller, I wouldn't ship anything worth 150 or more without insurance.

I doubt handlers can tell by looking at an item how much insurance is in effect.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
On some, not all USPS shipping labels, the postage is marked. Higher priced postage for a particular weight and zone could indicate insurance. Some labels only state the postage has been paid, without the total cost being shown.

I do not know how to print one from the other.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
With US Postal Service any package insured for $500 or more requires a signature on delivery so I believe that would be a tip-off

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have did a lot of deals over almost 20 years. Shipping, insurance and PayPal/ fees is something I've paid for as a seller. Price of doing business.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I won't buy anything from a seller who says add for PayPal fee's.
Every once and a while I will add them in myself if the deal is really good, but typically when the buyer is asking to add fee's the item is also overpriced.

PayPal fee's are definitely the cost of doing business.
If the seller wants fee's added the deal is probably bad anyway, and bad business in my opinion.
As far as insurance is concerned it depends on the situation and my cues are already insured anywhere in the world.
The postal service wouldn't pay it anyway on many of my vintage cues bo matter how much insurance I buy.
The only thing insurance does with USPS on vintage custom cues is give it a better chance to get to the destination without being misdirected for an extra few days.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be VERY surprised to find evidence that insurance (or lack thereof) influences package handling.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I would be VERY surprised to find evidence that insurance (or lack thereof) influences package handling.

Packages insured for over $500 are definitely watched closer.
Earlier in the year when everything was being misdirected, the same period when I or the shipper picked up 7 refunds for missed overnights there was definitely a pattern with heavily insured vs. uninsured.
Nothing that was insured for over $500 was misdirected and everything that was uninsured was misdirected.
There is a reason why and how 4 people I know of have received empty tubes where the contents were lifted.
I think contents being lifted and misdirection are related in certain hubs.
At a certain insured value more people are accountable.
Uninsured cues are the only ones that get lifted

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

I don't know the exact amount, but when a package is insured over a certain value ($500 I think), it requires special handling and a sign off by each person touching it. That way if a package gets broken, or lost, they know who handled it and can hold them accountable.

When a package has this special handling requirement, the scanners make a crazy sound as the package is scanned.

I ship a lot of boxes and use the Package Intercept feature along with high insurance values and have had the process detailed out to me by the local Postmaster at our regional distribution post office

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I have to rant about people that post items for sale.

1) People that ask for a percentage of the buyer chooses to pay using PayPal (goods). This is ridiculous. The seller should add the PayPal fees into their asking price, as this is the cost of doing business. Asking for payment via Friends & Family is great way for the seller to screw a buyer, as there is no recourse for the buyer.

2) Telling a buyer that insurance is extra if they want the item insured. Insurance is to cover the seller, NOT the buyer. It is the sellers obligation to make sure the buyer receives his item, and in undamaged condition. If an item is received, and it is damaged, the seller is responsible to make it right if he/she did not insure it. If the item is lost, it is the sellers obligation to refund the buyers money.

3) Ask for Friends & Family only payment. No No No!!!!!!

These are all the costs of doing business folks. I refuse to do business with any of these types of people, no matter how badly I may want the item for sale.

Normally shipping is always on the buyer ….
Anytime buying online most of the time there are shipping fees that the buyer pays ..

I agree with you on pay pal fees .that's on the seller and never buy and gift PP fees .

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I have to rant about people that post items for sale.

1) People that ask for a percentage of the buyer chooses to pay using PayPal (goods). This is ridiculous. The seller should add the PayPal fees into their asking price, as this is the cost of doing business. Asking for payment via Friends & Family is great way for the seller to screw a buyer, as there is no recourse for the buyer.

2) Telling a buyer that insurance is extra if they want the item insured. Insurance is to cover the seller, NOT the buyer. It is the sellers obligation to make sure the buyer receives his item, and in undamaged condition. If an item is received, and it is damaged, the seller is responsible to make it right if he/she did not insure it. If the item is lost, it is the sellers obligation to refund the buyers money.

3) Ask for Friends & Family only payment. No No No!!!!!!

These are all the costs of doing business folks. I refuse to do business with any of these types of people, no matter how badly I may want the item for sale.

Some people have a problem when sellers ask for best offers over $$$. There is ebay for bid wars.

Just saying.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is a risk.

But then you are "self-insured".

As a buyer, legally, that might be smart. As a seller, not so smart, because the liability is with the shipper (seller).

I would not ship you a cue uninsured.