travel costs and expenses...

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I want to join "the tour" .....by that i mean just travel around for a few months to the tournaments all the great shooters play at.....
Not because Im such a "great" player...but because doing so will make me great...

This being said .....how much would you say it costs for entry fees/food/hotels/and any other costs associated with this adventure....

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I want to join "the tour" .....by that i mean just travel around for a few months to the tournaments all the great shooters play at.....
Not because Im such a "great" player...but because doing so will make me great...

This being said .....how much would you say it costs for entry fees/food/hotels/and any other costs associated with this adventure....

You don't give close to enough info to enter a dialog on th matter.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can you beat any of these "great" players now, on your home table? If not, chasing these tournaments will be nothing but a colossal waste of money. If you do it, figure $100/day. May be more, may be less but that will be in the ballpark. That's decent lodging, ok food, gas. If you upscale the room & the chow, its gonna be more. Add in entry fees, drinks, movies/entertainment and it adds up quick. Unless you're already well off, you'll go empty without a stakehorse.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just ball parking and using what I know my basic expenses have been in the past I'd say plan on at least $1000 a week to live half way decently. Don't laugh but if you are serious about this Geno Machino had exactly the right idea. Travel in a nice small class b motor home and you will be ahead of the game right out the gate. Yes fuel prices do add up but you've got to figure your gonna be spending the gas money in a car anyway. You'll save a bunch on rooming, most times can stay right in the pool room parking lot because a class b has the exact same footprint as a regular van. You will also save A TON on food because you will be grocery shopping and preparing all of your meals just like at home. If you ever look at what your normal monthly eating out expenses are it can be quite shocking. Also if you have a road partner which most do, your expenses should be quite manageable - relatively speaking of course. Just as an example, winnebago has a class b based on a VW Platform . These can be purchased in the 20k range in decent enough condition. They will give you aneed honest 20+ mpg.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Where are you located? Everything is very spread out, so you need to plan well to get the most bang for your buck.

Why don't you try something like this and enter all the events you can:

http://www.playcsipool.com/2016-bcapl-national-championships.html

As far as bang for the buck, it would be hard to beat. You may be able to then find some Mezz West Coast events before and after that work here. Regional tournaments are tough - a lot of pros play these mini tours.

The other one to attend is Derby City next year. Quite a few events packed into the week and if you bomb out, it's still worth the trip.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hereso a couple pics of what I'm talking about. With the Winnie there are several interior configurations, just need to pick which one suits you the best. I actually will probably be getting one of these when I get around to replacing the pig I have now. Also these are all front wheel drive so they can literally be driven year round and in most places . There are other companies / models same as these so if you shop around you can find exactly what you like . Also people are gonna chime in about the $20know being a big nut to crack. This is true; however, if you are in fact being serious you could finance one and payment would be between $250-$300 a month. You would literally save more than that the first week you use it. Worst case scenario too is its small enough it can be used as a daily driver if need be - but if you're gonna be on the road it wouldn't matter anyway. Realistically speaking you could accommodate 4 people ( although I think 3 might be my limit ) and charge each person a measly $30 bucks a week on top of splitting expenses which I'm sure most would gladly pay and that comes up to $360 a month. That covers your monthly payment an most of insurance too! Just an idear.

Attachments

• rialtaLF.jpg
    rialtaLF.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 16739-110406102138.jpg
    16739-110406102138.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Winnebago_Rialta_HD_3_86.jpg
    Winnebago_Rialta_HD_3_86.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 328
  • digi31022083_l.jpg
    digi31022083_l.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 1996-WINNEBAGO-RIALTA-W-ONLY-36K-ORIGINAL-MILES.jpg
    1996-WINNEBAGO-RIALTA-W-ONLY-36K-ORIGINAL-MILES.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Figure $1000 a week on the cheap. That's cheap motels, low cost food, and average gas expenses of $2.50/gallon. I travel 30+ weeks a year, and those are realistic figures for just you (unless you sleep in your car). This does not include any of your 'pool costs'...entry fees, table costs, gambling losses, etc.

The 20K for a small RV sounds nice, but it's a big risk upfront, and then you have deal with the maintenance and upkeep of an RV. No chance 3 people will live in that small van for weeks/months at a time. Maybe tough to sell if your dream folds early.

I think Tate's idea is good. Go to Vegas. Enter all the events you can. See how you do. If you feel good, go on to CA and play some of the Mezz Tour events.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think I want to join "the tour" .....by that i mean just travel around for a few months to the tournaments all the great shooters play at.....Not because Im such a "great" player...but because doing so will make me great...

Last edited:
Hereso a couple pics of what I'm talking about. With the Winnie there are several interior configurations, just need to pick which one suits you the best. I actually will probably be getting one of these when I get around to replacing the pig I have now. Also these are all front wheel drive so they can literally be driven year round and in most places . There are other companies / models same as these so if you shop around you can find exactly what you like . Also people are gonna chime in about the $20know being a big nut to crack. This is true; however, if you are in fact being serious you could finance one and payment would be between $250-$300 a month. You would literally save more than that the first week you use it. Worst case scenario too is its small enough it can be used as a daily driver if need be - but if you're gonna be on the road it wouldn't matter anyway. Realistically speaking you could accommodate 4 people ( although I think 3 might be my limit ) and charge each person a measly $30 bucks a week on top of splitting expenses which I'm sure most would gladly pay and that comes up to $360 a month. That covers your monthly payment an most of insurance too! Just an idear.

That is some really great info.

Figure $1000 a week on the cheap. That's cheap motels, low cost food, and average gas expenses of $2.50/gallon. I travel 30+ weeks a year, and those are realistic figures for just you (unless you sleep in your car). This does not include any of your 'pool costs'...entry fees, table costs, gambling losses, etc.

The 20K for a small RV sounds nice, but it's a big risk upfront, and then you have deal with the maintenance and upkeep of an RV. No chance 3 people will live in that small van for weeks/months at a time. Maybe tough to sell if your dream folds early.

I think Tate's idea is good. Go to Vegas. Enter all the events you can. See how you do. If you feel good, go on to CA and play some of the Mezz Tour events.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hotwire is a good site. You can get a 2 start motel for $50 (or less) per night. If planning to stay in the same area for a week, you can find decent (clean) motels for under $300 a week (intown suites for example). Intown suites gives you a stove, fridge and sink (for cleaning dishes), and free WiFi (which I hear they have improved over their old much slower WiFi). Most intown suites are under $300 a week in any part of the US.

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ball parking and using what I know my basic expenses have been in the past I'd say plan on at least $1000 a week to live half way decently. Don't laugh but if you are serious about this Geno Machino had exactly the right idea. Travel in a nice small class b motor home and you will be ahead of the game right out the gate. Yes fuel prices do add up but you've got to figure your gonna be spending the gas money in a car anyway. You'll save a bunch on rooming, most times can stay right in the pool room parking lot because a class b has the exact same footprint as a regular van. You will also save A TON on food because you will be grocery shopping and preparing all of your meals just like at home. If you ever look at what your normal monthly eating out expenses are it can be quite shocking. Also if you have a road partner which most do, your expenses should be quite manageable - relatively speaking of course. Just as an example, winnebago has a class b based on a VW Platform . These can be purchased in the 20k range in decent enough condition. They will give you aneed honest 20+ mpg.

awesome...thanks for the advice..i met gino at 4 bears nd......hes a nice guy....

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i might do this...

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beats hell out of the Mystery Machine...

Wow! That's nicer (and probably bigger) than where I live now.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I've played most of the mezz events the last two seasons...

My entry fees were all paid by my sponsor and I typically only got a hotel for Saturday night if I made it to Sunday, with gas (oh yeah I usually drove up the day of) I've spent probably 1200-1500 for both seasons.

Jaden

p.s. but like has already been stated, you aren't providing enough information to really get into a convo about this...