Could not join 14.1 league

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to join the 14.1 league at Felt Billiards here in Colorado.
But heres what stopped me.
$15 per night
$7.00 greens fee
$7.00 gas to get there and back.
Thats a total of $29.00 per week. And that does not include a soft drink or some booze.So with a drink we got $35.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe some of you will scoff at this,but it's a bit strong for me.
What do you think?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think thats bad at all, how many matches would you play per night ?

-Steve

Two games.
I guess it all depends on income level.
I took a 5% cut in pay 6 years ago and have been at that level ever since.
If I had not had to take the pay cut and they continued to give me my 3% raise per year I would be making about $163 a week more now.
Thats $8456.00 per year.
I don't make a lot of money per year.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$15 per night
$7.00 greens fee
Thats a total of $29.00 per week. And that does not include a soft drink or some booze.So with a drink we got $35.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!
What do you think?

Sounds like the $15 is league fund money, how is that divided at the end of the season?

I think that is a bit stiff anyway. Why not $10?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$15 per night
$7.00 greens fee
What do you think?
Well, I'd probably move closer to the pool hall:cool:.

Around here the typical league is something like $10/match, half of which goes into the prize fund and half of which goes for table time. A typical match takes 1.5 to 2 hours, and typical table time in this area is $14/hour for two.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Yeah, sounds fairly steep. I would pass too. Down here in the Springs I play 9 ball league, $10/night & 8 ball $7/night. Sounds like you'd be better off just playing some $20 games

nashville14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no 14.1 league in nashville

nashville is not the bright center of the universe for 14.1,,,,it is a 9ball, one pocket, 8ball town.... so no 14.1 league in nashville. there is a fun l tourney one night per week at HQ. usually 8-ball, sometimes 9ball $5 entry, free table time. all entry $ goes to 1st & 2ND. 8' TABLES are ok. i did convince them to switch to 14.1 for just one night. one place is $2.75/hr/person until 6pm. another is 2.85 hr/person all day & nite. i would pay a bit more to play some 14.1 with a player my speed or better. my hi run was 43 but 30 years later i am happy if i get over 20 most days. setting up a better table at home....46x92 but will have good technician (ME) it up with good cloth. maybe the right cloth speed & being able to play at 4am or 4pm will
help me get to 4 racks. at 64 i want to run my age for the next 36 years. so on my 100th birthday i will hit 2 centuries.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Cost to play straight pool

$15 per night
$7.00 greens fee
What do you think?

$15 goes into the pot that the players divide up (unless the league operator is taking a little taste). The rest sounds reasonable.

We have a league at Red Shoes for $20 a week which includes greens fees of $10. Two games so the greens fees are more than reasonable.

The one at Illinois Billiard Club had been the same, but it was raised to $30 a week about 5 years ago. Again two matches, $15 goes to the house. That league got a little pricey.

I started the non handicapped straight pool league at Red Shoes and decided we did not want a big prize fund and did not want it to cost an arm and a leg and only wanted to play one game to 125 per week. The cost $10 a week which includes the greens fees of $5.

As to the gas expended, that is an occupational hazard with straight pool. Even here in Chicago where we now have a few leagues operating, some guys drive 50 miles or so to get to Red Shoes. Sometimes, they double up their games, play in advance so the trip becomes more worthwhile.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$15 per night
$7.00 greens fee
What do you think?

If you take out your gas expense, you have $22 per week. If that covers 2 games per week, that is very reasonable. In MN the league night is $10 (one game played) $4 to prize fund and $6 for table time.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the greens fee funds the league that is reasonable. What do you drive and what kind of mileage do you get?

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$15 per night
$7.00 greens fee
What do you think?

Cost is $15 total per night plus gas and food and drink. Water is FREE!
You should totally join, I'm in the League and its great fun. Heck if you join I'll buy you dinner one night.
Brian

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$15 breakdown

$15 per night breaks down as:
$7 goes to the greens fee
$7 goes to the prize pool
$1 goes to the high run pot

Drink Free water and with gas its only $22 for you to play

ALSO, after your match, Felt lets us League player play the rest of the night free if there is no waiting list. Also, League players get 10% off your food and drink tab anytime, and 50% off table time (excluding friday and saturday).

Often times, after my matches, I'll play straight pool all night with someone from the league.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$15 per night breaks down as:
$7 goes to the greens fee
$7 goes to the prize pool
$1 goes to the high run pot

Drink Free water and with gas its only $22 for you to play

ALSO, after your match, Felt lets us League player play the rest of the night free if there is no waiting list. Also, League players get 10% off your food and drink tab anytime, and 50% off table time (excluding friday and saturday).

Often times, after my matches, I'll play straight pool all night with someone from the league.
The flyer on the wall said $15 for the league and $7.00 greens fee.
Thats $22.00.Take a look it's on the wall in between the bathrooms.

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league here in Minneapolis is $30 deposit at the beginning of the season and then $10/night which covers 30 minutes warmup and then 1 match (to 100 - 150 depending on level). I'm kinda in your situation in terms of gas, so after a drink (sometimes), I'm at about $20-25 week, which is about my limit, even though I can afford it without problem. Beats bowling though!!

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The flyer on the wall said $15 for the league and $7.00 greens fee.
Thats $22.00.Take a look it's on the wall in between the bathrooms.

I saw that. It SHOULD read $15 of which $7 goes to greens fees. David who created the flyer didn't communicate clearly.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its probably not too late to join, you would have to make-up two matches. Email David at denverstraightpool.com