Earl imploding in the World Pool Masrers

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't respect him any less and neither should anyone else. He has a mental illness. Yeah, lets chide the guy for having a mental illness. Might as well yell and get pissed at the handicapped guy holding you up while hes crossing the crosswalk.

What Earl said was disrespectful, unsporting and bad for the image of the game. Having this opinion does not equate to not respecting a fellow human being.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it has been sad to watch him spiralling down, he is still the greatest 9-ball player ever in my book. i think the match against that venezuelan kid some months ago was way worse than this, though

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it has been sad to watch him spiralling down, he is still the greatest 9-ball player ever in my book. i think the match against that venezuelan kid some months ago was way worse than this, though

I missed that. What did he do?

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the 14 year old kid was Landon Shuffet.

I will never forget that match. It was when I had started play pool again, after about a twenty year lay off. I had been reading about what an a$$hole Earl was. Watching that match it was like watching a dream. Earl was so nice to the Kid while he was getting the crap beat out of him.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed that. What did he do?

i don't remember exactly but he was effing this and effing that until the kids parents reacted and approached him, he disturbed the other matches, started name calling the kids relatives, eventually threw the match

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
First time I saw Earl play was at Red's in Houston in the early 80's. He was playing Atlanta Danny Greer in a private match. Earl was giving Danny the seven and Danny was running over him.

Earl was doing everything he could to shark Danny from short racking, loose racking to talking crap while Danny was at the table. Danny just acted oblivious to the sharking and kept running out.

I thought "Wow, this is the number one pool player in the world?" and just shook my head.

He was an A-Hole then, just as he is today.

I've told this joke about Earl for over 30 yaears:

When Earl was young, his mentor told him "Always show some class!"

Earl misunderstood him and thought he said "Always show your Azz!" and he's been doing ever since. LOL

Stones

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that it must be disappointing to not be able to consistently play as well as you did in your prime and maybe that is a major reason for his behavior, but what is Earl hoping to accomplish by continuing to play competitively?

If he wants to have any hope of winning big time tournaments, he will have to take a step back and realize he isn’t 30 any more and he can’t just run over people at will. He needs some emotional intelligence. I think if he could do that he could still be very competitive- the talent is still there. I’m not at all optimistic that he will ever do that though because his emotional instability seems to get worse every year

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, that match *and* interview got more hits and views than any other match or interview at the Dafabet World Pool Masters, including the finals.

Earl is now almost 60 years old and sweet Klenti is 20. Interesting in pool that age doesn't matter, I guess.

I know Earl and understand where he is coming from. It is difficult to be the best in the world in a thankless game that doesn't pay enough to make ends meet, even when you're the best out there.

Pool promoters love Earl because he not only brings in viewers, but he continues to make headlines around the world: https://www.skysports.com/more-spor...trickland-fumes-after-world-pool-masters-exit

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is difficult to be the best in the world in a thankless game that doesn't pay enough to make ends meet, even when you're the best out there.

I dont think thats true, the very top players earn definitely enough for comfortable living, just ask SVB about his financial management. ;) It is the lavish spending that kills the purse for such guys. And we dont have to talk about pool players, according to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement and an estimated 60% of NBA players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport...its basically about financial literacy ;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think thats true, the very top players earn definitely enough for comfortable living, just ask SVB about his financial management. ;) It is the lavish spending that kills the purse for such guys. And we dont have to talk about pool players, according to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement and an estimated 60% of NBA players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport...its basically about financial literacy ;)

I vehemently disagree.

Just because Shane makes a decent living, he is in the minority, extreme minority.

It is not possible to earn a living in American pool. Pro players are banned or must provide a ridiculous handicap in American regional events.

You must either win, place, or show to break even due to the expenses of travel, hotels, food, et cetera. The payouts of most pool events are the same in USA as they were in the 1960s, yet the cost of living has gone up at least five or six times more. In the '60s, a gallon of gas cost 30 cents, as an example.

It has nothing to do with players wasting their earnings. Pool players are always stuck in their income because you cannot come in first, second, and third place in every single event you go to. Even when you win, you're still stuck big time.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in all sports and events its the eccentric guys that keep the spectators coming back for more. eliminate them and you eliminate your sport.
not true; i’d watch more basketball if they were all just talented MJ-like players with no drama.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It is no secret what pool pays and anyone who decides to do it full time is making a free choice. Shuffleboard, speed walking and 3 legged race don't pay well either. It's just how it is. Want to get rich in competition...learn to be a great video game player.

Low pay is not the reason Earl behaves badly. He has difficulty dealing with many situations and struggles with controlling himself . Whether it's a character flaw, a set of bad habits, an act or a mental illness is not all that important. He should fix whatever is broken or stay home.

Its not hard to suspect there is actual illness involved. You see it start to manifest the minute anything doesn't go his way. The first miss brings up the immaginary table flaws, the first loss brings up the immaginary imbalance of luck, and if it doesn't get better the bad thoughts become bad actions.

I've seen a few times where his banter is entertaining. Those days are over and it is painful to watch him lately. You could even see it in the American Hustler (or is it Hustle?) episode.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those that bash Earl, would call a foul on a guy in a wheel chair for not having one foot on the floor.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, that match *and* interview got more hits and views than any other match or interview at the Dafabet World Pool Masters, including the finals.

Earl is now almost 60 years old and sweet Klenti is 20. Interesting in pool that age doesn't matter, I guess.

I know Earl and understand where he is coming from. It is difficult to be the best in the world in a thankless game that doesn't pay enough to make ends meet, even when you're the best out there.

Pool promoters love Earl because he not only brings in viewers, but he continues to make headlines around the world: https://www.skysports.com/more-spor...trickland-fumes-after-world-pool-masters-exit

Most people watch his blow ups to make fun of him.

How is that good for pool, or Earl?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in all sports and events its the eccentric guys that keep the spectators coming back for more. eliminate them and you eliminate your sport.

No, it's not. People want to see talent.

Also, there is a difference between being eccentric and being an asshole.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless what he said about Kaci, he did have a valid point about the temperature. Players were shivering, people in the crowd wearing big coats etc. He is nearly 60 and when you've been sat at the chair for awhile it's going to be even colder. It is meant to be one of the biggest events in pool so it shouldn't be too much to ask to have some heaters.
I do think what he said about Kaci was bad but I think what he said and what he meant are different things. I think he was comparing Kaci to his younger self and as an all time great. Which is true, he isn't an all time great yet but her is very good. It just came out wrong.
As for mental illnesses and him getting worse with age I would have to agree he wasn't nearly this bad in his younger days. I think the decline in pool and personal things outside pool have really beat him down over the years. As a result he can be really bitter and unsporting. Sometimes he is just misunderstood even if he is right about alot of things