Thorsten's runs at Colavita straight pool

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the Jack Colavita 14.1 tournament Thorsten Hohman ran 150 and out in one match and later that day ran 152 and out. Does any know if this has been done before? Has any other player in history run 150 and out twice in one tournament? I watched the first run. I really enjoy watching Thorsten play. He makes it look easy. It was a great tournament to watch, and Comet Billiards is such a nice place.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Vahmurka said:
any info if it was recorded?

Both runs were recorded and will be available for sale on Thorsten's website after some post-production.

- Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
Both runs were recorded and will be available for sale on Thorsten's website after some post-production.

- Steve

Very Cool. I can hardly wait.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten at european championship

kaznj said:
Does any know if this has been done before? Has any other player in history run 150 and out twice in one tournament?
During 2006 European championships Thorsten ran 125 and out 4 times winning the whole thing with the overall average of 50 points per inning. Crazy stuff indeed!:eek:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
kaznj said:
At the Jack Colavita 14.1 tournament Thorsten Hohman ran 150 and out in one match and later that day ran 152 and out. Does any know if this has been done before? Has any other player in history run 150 and out twice in one tournament? I watched the first run. I really enjoy watching Thorsten play. He makes it look easy. It was a great tournament to watch, and Comet Billiards is such a nice place.

I can offer this second hand only, but legendary referee Cue Ball Kelly told me that Mike Eufemia (probably around 1959) once had five 150 and out runs in a single event, though it was neither at the World championships nor at the US Open. Kelly called it the greatest exhibition of straight pool he'd ever seen. I have no idea whether this really happened, but a referee is probably a reliable source.

More recently, in the 1979 PPPA World Championship, Pete Margo ran over 100 six different times. Actually, at the grand opening party of the new Amsterdam Billiard Club this January, both Thorsten Hohmann and Pete Margo were there and I made a point of introducing Thorsten to Pete, and they had a nice chat.

jerseybillG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice to hear pete margo`s name mentioned..i remember 4 or 5 of us going up to union city to see this young kid everybody was talking about...we all played him and he was something to see even at a young age(16 maybe) many years later while living in upstate ny...he gave an exibition in middletown and i reminded him of that time many yrs. ago ...of course the nj copetition was fierce , with miz, martin, colivita, and hopkins...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
I can offer this second hand only, but legendary referee Cue Ball Kelly told me that Mike Eufemia (probably around 1959) once had five 150 and out runs in a single event, though it was neither at the World championships nor at the US Open. Kelly called it the greatest exhibition of straight pool he'd ever seen. ...
I heard a similar story from Kelly, but he stressed that it was 150 and out in five consecutive exhibitions in different rooms which made it double tough due to the varied tables. Kelly felt that it was tougher than 750 consecutive balls.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I heard a similar story from Kelly, but he stressed that it was 150 and out in five consecutive exhibitions in different rooms which made it double tough due to the varied tables. Kelly felt that it was tougher than 750 consecutive balls.

Thanks, Bob. I knew it would take either a very old man or a serious straight pool historian to settle this matter. No doubt, 150 and out in five consecutive exhibitions is some mighty fancy shooting. Simply incredible!

dave sutton

Banned
I CANT WAIT TO SEE THESE

i have 3 videos i constantly watch
jim rempe - how to run a rack
jim rempe0 how to run 100 balls
mike seigel vs mike zuglan. seigel runs 150 and out.

amazing hes out of line 1 time.

seigel wins lag, zuglan breaks and never touches the sees the table again

my strightpool bible

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
kaznj said:
So, is 152 the record for a run in organized competition? I thought the record was only 150 (not that I'm an authoratative source!). I've heard that some of the old guys used to try to get on a foul before beginning their run going for the record.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
sjm said:
Thanks, Bob. I knew it would take either a very old man or a serious straight pool historian to settle this matter. No doubt, 150 and out in five consecutive exhibitions is some mighty fancy shooting. Simply incredible!

Scott,
The sad part is that Mike's record are not recognized or respected by the BCA. It's a shame that such a great player like Mike Eufemia will never grace their Hall of Fame. He definitely deserves to be there.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arsenius, to answer your question about a record, Thorsten ran 173 in East Brunswick New Jersey tourny in 2006. I believe it was from the start and they were playing to 200. I know he won, but I don't know exactly how many innings.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve Mezerack did

Years ago. There was a $500 pot for high run. another player ran 151. Steve took two scratches and ran out. Jerry Rauenzahn was present. He really thought it was funny. Seemed whatever Steve had to do back then he just did in tournament play.
Just so you don't think I am a Mez cronie one of my mentors busted Steve down here in the Fl playing 9 ball. Steve was told by Mosconi not to play him any straight before he came down here! After Steve was done understood why.
Nick :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Mentor

nick serdula said:
Y
Just so you don't think I am a Mez cronie one of my mentors busted Steve down here in the Fl playing 9 ball. Steve was told by Mosconi not to play him any straight before he came down here! After Steve was done understood why.
Nick :)

Sounds like a helluva mentor to have!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
arsenius said:
So, is 152 the record for a run in organized competition? I thought the record was only 150 (not that I'm an authoratative source!). I've heard that some of the old guys used to try to get on a foul before beginning their run going for the record.
No. The record is 182 in a championship match by Joe Procita against Willie Mosconi. "procita mosconi 182" into google should get you some details.

kaznj said:
Arsenius, to answer your question about a record, Thorsten ran 173 in East Brunswick New Jersey tourny in 2006. I believe it was from the start and they were playing to 200. I know he won, but I don't know exactly how many innings.

Thorsten's monster run last year started after he had already scored 26 balls. His run was 174 and out, unfinished, as the game ended when he reached 200.

Rg