A Huge Thank You from CueSports International (CSI)!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I still can't believe that this stream had that many viewers. I watch a lot of them and talk to a lot of people that watch a lot of them and no one I know got the stream. Literally not a single person. Of course we will never know the numbers, they're kept private and I understand why, but I don't know where the viewers are coming from if this stream really did have that many viewers. I didn't watch this year because CSI has been going downhill the past couple of years, IMO, and I just chose to not give them my 65 bucks to watch a bunch of champions play on a bar table for 10 days. Now hearing that they told Sky to either postpone his match or get barred from their tourney, I will never give CSI another penny. There's too many people trying to get a piece of the VERY small pool PPV market and it's getting too diluted. Something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Remember when Bonus Ball got 10,000 ppv viewers that one time?

r83WAmU.gif

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Sour grapes from a former employee. Not your best post by far.

See Jay thats why I have stayed away from commenting on anything CSI does. If they pulled this move on Dennis it would be interesting to see if you would be so supportive.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Well... I expected a little more positive spin than that.

Sky and his backers and their match had nothing to do with the CSI event. There was no intentional harm in their wanting to play a money match in a pool room on their own dime. CSI used not only their events but their Mosconi Cup points to strong-arm Sky and his backers. Pretty clear open and shut case.

Thanks for the open and honest explanation though. TBH with things like this I have more respect for you and CSI being open and up front about things like this rather than doing them in the shadows.

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
Congrats to CSI on another successful BCAPL extravaganza.

I don't care for rotation games on a bar table, but I bought the stream for the US Open 8-ball and definitely got my money's worth.

Yes, 8ball on 7' tables is a great game.

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See Jay thats why I have stayed away from commenting on anything CSI does. If they pulled this move on Dennis it would be interesting to see if you would be so supportive.

Lol. Dennis does no wrong though. Ever.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow.
[...]

Does anybody else see as bizarre the adoration for and the reverence given in this community to high-stakes gambling matches? I don't mean serious matchups between top players--that SHOULD get our respect.

But what I find weird is if I say Sky's playing Morra a race to 20, the first question is "what are they playing for?" The answer could be $500 or it could be $20,000. If it $500, the matchup seems like not such a big deal; If it's $20,000, it is a big deal. Why is this?

Think about it . If it is $20,000, that means Sky's backer(s) are gambling against Morra's backer(s). So what? You can watch people at craps table bet it up too.. Is it really that exciting?

Where it really gets weird is we then take the best and most promising players in the country and the world, and some high roller has them by the short hairs.

It is naive to think Ozzy was really communicating with Skylar Woodward. Ozzy was communicating THROUGH Skylar Woodward with some unknown-to-most-of-us gambler.

Such unknowns wouldn't be able to treat our best pool players like puppets if we didn't show such reverence to "big stakes" matchups.

We are a pretty weird group--essentially high rolling ourselves.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Sorry Lou, I thought Ozzy laid it out pretty clearly here. He has a business to run and if you mess with his business, it may cost you. I've owned a dozen businesses in my life and always have reserved the right to refuse service to anyone! I've had people come into my poolroom and promote an event being held in another poolroom without even asking me, going so far as to put flyers all over the place. Maybe you think that's cool too. I didn't and let him know not to come back. And that's how I roll. ;)

C'mon man! You're better than that Jay. Yes you can refuse service to people but this is borderline extortion, dangling mosconi points in front of a young kid in the hunt... Nothing and I mean nothing ethical about that.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Does anybody else see as bizarre the adoration for and the reverence given in this community to high-stakes gambling matches? I don't mean serious matchups between top players--that SHOULD get our respect.

But what I find weird is if I say Sky's playing Morra a race to 20, the first question is "what are they playing for?" The answer could be $500 or it could be $20,000. If it $500, the matchup seems like not such a big deal; If it's $20,000, it is a big deal. Why is this?

Think about it . If it is $20,000, that means Sky's backer(s) are gambling against Morra's backer(s). So what? You can watch people at craps table bet it up too.. Is it really that exciting?

Where it really gets weird is we then take the best and most promising players in the country and the world, and some high roller has them by the short hairs.

It is naive to think Ozzy was really communicating with Skylar Woodward. Ozzy was communicating THROUGH Skylar Woodward with some unknown-to-most-of-us gambler.

Such unknowns wouldn't be able to treat our best pool players like puppets if we didn't show such reverence to "big stakes" matchups.

We are a pretty weird group--essentially high rolling ourselves.

This post makes less sense than Ozzy trying to state that Sky or anyone involved in their gambling match was intentionally trying to hurt CSI. It's about seeing who can still draw their ball for $20k. There is no pressure in throwing two dice on a crap table. Your comment is like saying the Super Bowl is just another football game.

Oh - by the way -- Sky's cue sponsor is Meucci. I overheard Meucci state that he paid $5,700 for his booth during the event and also brought 5 or 6 players with him. Perhaps Ozzy you should see that as part of the picture before you resort to threatening to bar a player. Again - I do not agree with that tactic. The way it was handled by you from the beginning is what lead to you feeling you had no option but to put Sky to the test of getting to play on the Mosconi Cup or not.

Lastly - Sky and his backers after all of this held no ill will as you still seem to do. This was shown by him and Justin playing the Filipinos in the partner game. They could have easily gone back to the pool room to play but chose to play in your tourney room to give a ton of fans an opportunity to watch.

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from the business side i dont see anything wrong with what CSI did. Sometimes your boss tells you to either work with them or your fired - if you feel that strongly about it quite - if not shut up and work with them

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
from the business side i dont see anything wrong with what CSI did. Sometimes your boss tells you to either work with them or your fired - if you feel that strongly about it quite - if not shut up and work with them

That is fine, but if they want to play like that there is no way their events should be used for picking Mosconi Cup positions, world rankings, or anything else that has effects beyond their own events.

It was not just their own event they had to threaten Sky with, they used points for events they do not run or own to work with, and that should not be the case.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Skylar doesn't have a boss. He's his own boss who happens to have at least one investor. And CSI using their Mosconi Cup points event as leverage is a very unethical business practice.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wasn't the WPBA threatening their members if they played in events that weren't sanctioned by the WPBA even if they didn't conflict with WPBA events scheduling ?Even when the pickings were slim for the women .

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In situations such as this, men of goodwill try to find an accommodation that everyone can live with.

When that is not possible then each party must make a business decision that they are prepared to live with and accept the consequences of that decision. CSI should be applauded for clearly stating their position and the consequences that would follow. It is not personal, it is not to bullying, it is simply business.

Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is fine, but if they want to play like that there is no way their events should be used for picking Mosconi Cup positions, world rankings, or anything else that has effects beyond their own events.

It was not just their own event they had to threaten Sky with, they used points for events they do not run or own to work with, and that should not be the case.

Why, because you said so? You can have an opinion and so can I, they both do not carry any weight in the decision, nor should they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk