break acceleration

gergs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the break how long will the cue ball accelerate before it starts to slow down? I suppose it depends on how fast the break is (on average).

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Unless 'ol whitey has got a motor on it, it's gonna start slowing down as soon as it leaves the tip.

Maniac

gergs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking with a guy the other night and he swears that the cue ball would accelerate for a few feet before slowing down. I thought it was fishy but he was very stern on it.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
depends....

let's say you hit the cueball 19 mph on the break. let's also say, you are not very good at squatting whitey, and it occasionally flies off the table. ok, now go with me here, the table you are playing on is surrounded on 3 sides by a large precipice.....the cueball would initially decelerate upon leaving your cue, but after contacting the rack and flying off the table, it would accelerate to 21.81818181.....lol, nevermind, this post is a stretch even by my standards. :p

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
The cue ball would go from 0 to max speed in the distance it takes the tip to compress as much as it can and the shaft to flex as much as it's going to for the given force. Once those take place, the ball is off like a shot as both rebound. After that, it slows all the way to the rack. The guy is an idiot. Quit arguing with him.

gergs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for the replies. I was pretty sure I was right on this one but he had me all turned around on this. With the fancy words that he was spitting out.

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member
If you overspin the cue ball, then the cue ball will accelerate after leaving the tip. I'm not sure if it's possible to do this on an extremely hard shot such as a power break. But if "break shots" include a soft break, then certainly it is possible.

Here's Dr. Dave's video on overspin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WIYecrJ5ec

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking with a guy the other night and he swears that the cue ball would accelerate for a few feet before slowing down. I thought it was fishy but he was very stern on it.

He couldn't be more wrong. The cueball immediately starts slowing down the instant it leaves the tip. What force could be accelerating it *after* it leaves the tip?

KMRUNOUT

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excepting for the added minute amount of speed added as top-spin decays into velocity;

The CB starts to decelerate within 2 millisecond of contact with the tip--that is essentially immediately.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you overspin the cue ball, then the cue ball will accelerate after leaving the tip. I'm not sure if it's possible to do this on an extremely hard shot such as a power break. But if "break shots" include a soft break, then certainly it is possible.

Here's Dr. Dave's video on overspin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WIYecrJ5ec

You might be able to do it on a shot like the break shot, but if you are interested in getting max speed into the cue ball you don't want to waste any energy in spin. You need to hit very near center.

On a break shot, the cue ball is normally in the air for the first couple of feet or even all the way to the rack. While it's in the air, it's not losing speed by rubbing on the cloth, although there is a little air resistance.

As I recall, the last time I calculated it, the cue ball would lose about 1-2% of its speed if it did rub on the cloth on the way to the rack (as opposed to be airborne). The faster you shoot, the less energy will be lost because it takes time for the friction to act on the ball and the shorter the time the less the friction can slow the ball and start top spin.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be able to do it on a shot like the break shot, but if you are interested in getting max speed into the cue ball you don't want to waste any energy in spin. You need to hit very near center.

On a break shot, the cue ball is normally in the air for the first couple of feet or even all the way to the rack. While it's in the air, it's not losing speed by rubbing on the cloth, although there is a little air resistance.

As I recall, the last time I calculated it, the cue ball would lose about 1-2% of its speed if it did rub on the cloth on the way to the rack (as opposed to be airborne).

Yeah. But won't it lose some of its potential horizontal vector if it leaves the table? And then there's the loss as it "digs in" and skids on impact with the table. Airborne can also cause a vertical component on impact with the OB if the timing isn't exactly right. That's lossy, too.

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall has an instruction on breaking the rack by sending the CB through the air and hitting the front of the rack without touching the felt.
:thumbup: