Jay Helfert

cashin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Jay Toupee Helfert from America? He always sounds like he's rooting for Europe. JMO

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
He should be given honorary European status for sure. I'm not sure if he knows he's doing it and is just trying not to be pro-American for matchroom, but it's making me sick how pro-European he is. He's so complimentary of all of their players but is doing nothing but downgrading ours.

cashin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly what I hear when he commentates. I'm pretty sure he always bets on Europe and can't hide his bias when he commentates. He should bet who he thinks will win .. but not let it affect his commentary.
He should be given honorary European status for sure. I'm not sure if he knows he's doing it and is just trying not to be pro-American for matchroom, but it's making me sick how pro-European he is. He's so complimentary of all of their players but is doing nothing but downgrading ours.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yeah, I feel that way too, maybe he's just over compensating.

Seems anytime Shane is shooting it really come through

Last edited:

Jpowell7575

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's definitely a commy. So far today the things that have single handily beat America were safety play, missing balls, bad kicks, and bad position play. Europe hasn't made a bad shot with Jay in the booth. When nick was in that safety battle with Corey it was so biased it was sick. He's a terrible commentator for Mosconi.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And maybe he just rots for the player who puts on the best show without letting politics or nationalities enter into it. Earl is notorious for having those type of attitudes against any foreign players. His attitude is you should always cheer for the American and not the one who makes the great shot.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Guys, take a deep breath. I have no dog in this fight, but a huge interest in American pool and cue games. Jay is 100% American, we all know that. He is old school pool, road, promoting and all.

If Jay is complimentary of Europe, why? If he is indifferent of the USA why? It is not that he is pro Europe and I doubt simply not trying to be a homer.

I do not follow the Mosconi cup and do not think anyone from the 60's 70's or 80's would have much interest. I am from the era that believes pool is not a team sport except in partners gambling.

Not saying it is so, but I pose the question, Is it posssible that Jay believes that the players handle themselves better?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have seen and heard so far is Jay being very professional and impartial. Not sure why people are saying otherwise, but each persons perspective is unique I guess. :thumbup:

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he seems pro-European because they're outplaying us and as a commentator his job is to point that out. Just a thought.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:smile:

I think Jay is doing fine.

I also think that lower right pocket plays tougher than the rest of the pockets.

I just think the whole thing is terrific to watch.

I do miss seeing some of the old timers though....:D

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give Jay a break

Jay has given the pool community so much as a player, room owner, stake horse, tournament director, author and probably many other things related to pool. He always calls it like it is as he sees it and that may make some believe he is being partial to Europe, which I know Jay could never be. Jay might even be giving up his time for little or no compensation so let's cut him a little slack and thank him for his contributions to the pool industry which we all know is really hurting. .:thumbup:❤️

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought everyone knew that Jay hates both Americans and Europeans and only loves Filipinos.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Jay is commentating on the pool he is watching the best way he knows how.

I'm cheering for the US team, so I'm biased....I can do that as a spectator.

Jay has to call 'em as he sees 'em.

vladmin

Break'em dry !
Silver Member
Coming from an European fan -

I can tell you that this year's Mosconi Cup commentary has been the worst in the last 8 years. If they're biased, they are towards the word "momentum" if anything. In their views, the momentum shifts from making the 2 ball in the 1st rack of a race. It's been atrocious.
I have the highest respect for Jerry, Jim and Jay but boy, am I tired of hearing the same lines over and over and over again.

As for being biased towards 1 side or another, c'mon. Corey flukes the 9, celebrates like he won a million dollar jackpot and they're not even commenting on his lack of sportsmanship. Same with Niels fluking the 2 against Shane, no word of him acting like "ya whatever"

Darren plays like shit in his game against Bergman and only once I think it was Jerry who said something about it. But no other mentioning of it. And not giving Bergman enough credit for his amazing game. Yet, when Nick played against Corey and they both kinda sucked, he got dismantled for his poor showing this entire week bla bla bla

Not to mention Mike the Failball. If anyone was biased, Mike should've been trashed as, IMO, he is the weakest link this year.

I dont see bias. I just see 3 people who are trying to hype the game for the viewers not thinking that the vast majority of people watching this game have some type of an understanding and that a lot of the shots that they are claiming to be "wow", "so hard" etc are in fact, shots that these players see on a daily basis.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe that's it, Jay's doing an impartial commentary and I'm biased! I am definitely pulling for team USA.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Jays in the booth not far from me.....
His lips move but I can't hear what he's saying. :eek: