Do you play with your nicer Cue away from home

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what ever i play with i play all the time
never hit but one cue when i am actually out playing

i like a fancy cue because it attracts action,but if i don't like to play with it
i leave it home or sell it

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'm ordering LD shafts now for my nice cue. I plan on playing with it and not leaving on a table when I go to Br.

Hello ,

I am problay odd here on this but I play out from time to time at other Friends tables and also a pool club and I do not take my nicer cues. I have a couple of cheaper Cues such as Players that I take, I have a few Friends who give me grief over this as they say I would not own a cue that I could not take out and Play with. My Nice Cue is older and I always worry about it getting dented or scratched, and also some idiot picking it up and doing who know what with it, Do you guy's play out with your better cue or do you use a cheaper one. I also do not break with my playing Cues but know people who do .

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Why would I have a nice cue if I wasn't going to play with it? I'm starting to think a lot of you people have a weird relationship with cues.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Why would I have a nice cue if I wasn't going to play with it? I'm starting to think a lot of you people have a weird relationship with cues.

Mine rides next to me on the front passenger seat. Although she isn't buckeled in, I do throw my right arm over her on sudden stops.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Look at all the cues in the for sale section, "never chalked, unhit". Don't know how I could get a badass cue and never try it out. I play with my nice cues, just at my home. If I had a high scale place to play in public, I would likely take my nicer stuff out.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two very nice playing cues which I always shoot with.

I’ll shoot with one for a year or so, then for no particular reason switch to the other for a year or so. I also have a three-piece that I use when traveling out of the country.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only have one playing cue at a time but that's the one I take to the pool hall. I do take it to the men's room with me when I go.

Laid my cue down on an adjacent table once to break with a house cue and when I finished breaking a young guy who appeared to be a doper had my playing cue in his hands. He quickly gave it back.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only have one playing cue at a time but that's the one I take to the pool hall. I do take it to the men's room with me when I go.

Laid my cue down on an adjacent table once to break with a house cue and when I finished breaking a young guy who appeared to be a doper had my playing cue in his hands. He quickly gave it back.

Not my cue, but the guy I was playing...

At this one pool hall, the bathroom is right next to the 1pocket table. I was playing a guy named Brett, who had just gotten a very nice new SP. I think it may have been a Buss or Joss. Anywhos, we finish a game and Brett lays his cue down on the table to go to the bathroom. Only the cue ball and one other ball near a corner pocket are on the table. I'm sitting in a chair along with a bunch of rail birds sweating the match.

Hobbling along comes The Professor (not Grady) Bill Hendricks, the very nice gentleman who wrote "The History of Pool." He's up in age and moves pretty slowly and is making his way to the bathroom, when he sees the cue and balls and gets inspired. Suddenly, he picks up Brett's brand new shiny SP -- probably thinking it was a house cue -- and turns to those of us on the rail and says, "Have you guys ever seen this shot?"

Before anyone realizes what he's about to do, or explain it's not a house cue, or stop him, he grabs the butt of the cue with both hands and does the: running the cue ball down the long rail, using the shaft of the cue to send the cue ball around the table five rails, to make a ball in the jaws shot. (If you've seen this shot you know you basically have to use enough pressure to bend the shaft pretty good to rake the cue ball down the rail and put enough spin on the cue ball to get enough rails to make the shot.

He makes the shot, puts the cue down, and in blissful ignorance continues his slow march to the bathroom.

We all looked at each other for a second, sort of just in shock at what we had just seen happen to a $300 SP, then burst out laughing and enjoyed telling Brett over and over again -- in excruciating detail -- what had just happen to his brand new cue :)

Lou Figueroa

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
I do the same thing. I have a sneaky pete I use for league and travelling around. I also have a McDermott jump/break cue for that purpose as well. I rarely take the other cues out of the house now. Too many things stolen from pool halls in my time... Now I don't have to worry when I go to the bathroom.

-td
I usually have one cue I am playing with (in the 60 yrs). I learned long time ago to never never leave my cue, not with a “friend”, at the counter, on the table, in the car, Etc. I take my cue to the bathroom. Haven’t had one walk in 55 years. Tell my customers the same thing.

Hope this helps.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not my cue, but the guy I was playing...

At this one pool hall, the bathroom is right next to the 1pocket table. I was playing a guy named Brett, who had just gotten a very nice new SP. I think it may have been a Buss or Joss. Anywhos, we finish a game and Brett lays his cue down on the table to go to the bathroom. Only the cue ball and one other ball near a corner pocket are on the table. I'm sitting in a chair along with a bunch of rail birds sweating the match.

Hobbling along comes The Professor (not Grady) Bill Hendricks, the very nice gentleman who wrote "The History of Pool." He's up in age and moves pretty slowly and is making his way to the bathroom, when he sees the cue and balls and gets inspired. Suddenly, he picks up Brett's brand new shiny SP -- probably thinking it was a house cue -- and turns to those of us on the rail and says, "Have you guys ever seen this shot?"

Before anyone realizes what he's about to do, or explain it's not a house cue, or stop him, he grabs the butt of the cue with both hands and does the: running the cue ball down the long rail, using the shaft of the cue to send the cue ball around the table five rails, to make a ball in the jaws shot. (If you've seen this shot you know you basically have to use enough pressure to bend the shaft pretty good to rake the cue ball down the rail and put enough spin on the cue ball to get enough rails to make the shot.

He makes the shot, puts the cue down, and in blissful ignorance continues his slow march to the bathroom.

We all looked at each other for a second, sort of just in shock at what we had just seen happen to a $300 SP, then burst out laughing and enjoyed telling Brett over and over again -- in excruciating detail -- what had just happen to his brand new cue :)

Lou Figueroa

He ain't lying. I've done this shot many times and it puts a lot of bend and stress on the shaft to make this shot, especially on a slow table.

I used to only do it with POS house cues in our pool hall and only once did I have a shaft break. However, I would never try it with a good cue.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I buy a cue to play with it, no matter where I play. It's like my Corvette, if I'm off I drive it, if it gets dirty, that is what they make car wash and wash mitts for. :)

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys talking about taking your cues in the bathroom, where you putting the cue, in the corner, taking it in the stall with you?

So if you take it in the stall, then you do your business, what then, leave in the stall, go wash your hands, then come back to get it? Or you just pick up your cue before washing your hands, which is pretty gross.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with what I play with period. Former player was a South West. When I returned I started with a nice sneaky. Had the itch to get into another cue makers cue and it’s now my player. I’d like to eventually return to South West. I see them as a tool and potentially could use it for the rest of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with what I play with period. Former player was a South West. When I returned I started with a nice sneaky. Had the itch to get into another cue makers cue and it’s now my player. I’d like to eventually return to South West. I see them as a tool and potentially could use it for the rest of my life.

I don't know how old you are, but I have a cue that is still in perfect condition and I bought it 47 years ago.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He ain't lying. I've done this shot many times and it puts a lot of bend and stress on the shaft to make this shot, especially on a slow table.

I used to only do it with POS house cues in our pool hall and only once did I have a shaft break. However, I would never try it with a good cue.
It's possible to do it with the butt of the cue instead. The usual set up is "five cushions, shooting with the butt of the cue, behind my back, eyes shut, and standing on one foot."

I would still want to use a house cue.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take my favorite cues to a couple local pool halls where I am reasonably confident they’ll be safe. But even at those places, on league night and at less familiar places, I have a couple less expensive cues that I use. They play well. While I would not want something to happen to either of them, it would not be a disaster for me.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how old you are, but I have a cue that is still in perfect condition and I bought it 47 years ago.

I’m 53 and while a played a little when I was younger I didn’t really start playing until I was 33. I got into a South West and ended up selling it as I was winding down my first go around with pool. It wasn’t abused or mishandled but I played a lot. It was foolish to sell and I wish I still had it. It’d still be my player.
Now that I’m all in again. I don’t ever see myself not playing. I’m looking for my forever cue. My new Bender is great but it confirms I don’t particularly like a leather wrapped cue. I don’t see the current Bender or my Sneaky going anywhere but a wrappless cue is in my future.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I am problay odd here on this but I play out from time to time at other Friends tables and also a pool club and I do not take my nicer cues. I have a couple of cheaper Cues such as Players that I take, I have a few Friends who give me grief over this as they say I would not own a cue that I could not take out and Play with. My Nice Cue is older and I always worry about it getting dented or scratched, and also some idiot picking it up and doing who know what with it, Do you guy's play out with your better cue or do you use a cheaper one. I also do not break with my playing Cues but know people who do .

I play with house cues if I’m in a bar or playing on anything less than a 9’ table. I consider anything other than a 9’ is an “amateurs”table.