Famous Cue Makers

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim Scruggs told me early on when he went on his own, that he bought a new shaft from Gus and made a steel taper bar for his lathe to follow, thus making shafts very similar to Gus's, if not identical.

Deni

Registered
I think the intricate work and inlays are the point of fancy handmade cues. As I kid I remember a hustler who would grab the pool hall broom and use it as a cue and beat the best of players.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was told that at one time, most of the famous cue makers bought their spliced butts from the same guy. Then they bought a chunk of wood and turned it down and made a shaft, or just bought one premade from another guy who did it better than them , and stuck some diamonds or dots or rings that were mass produced by someone else and sold to everyone, into the mix.
Those were added to the carcass and turned to whatever specs wanted ,or as close as they could get with their hand me down equipment, they barely knew how to operate, a finish was added and the cue was sold as a Balabushka or Zsamboti or whatever their name was .
Did these guys say, hey I didn't make that butt, I got it from Richard or hey I didn't make those inlays or rings ,Johnny the apprentice at Henrys shop makes those all day long, better and cheaper than I can.
I'm a historian of the players, not equipment, but I'm so mad about this I wanted to alert all of you that you don't want to be suckers and buy any of these Frankencues, I couldn't sleep at night and my crystal clear ,never did anything questionable in my life conscience, just couldn't stand it.
In my opinion ,anyone who spends over 200 dollars for a pool cue is a showoff or a sucker.
I paid 400 for one because I was a showoff. It doesn't play any better than the 20 dollar McDermott I played with for a couple of years.
If you approve of this message , please add your own expertise by all means to it, so that we can end this nonsense about cuemakers and their lies and thieving
Or, we could have our own place to discuss this stuff like the aiming channel , so it isn't all over the Main page and the first thing everyone sees and shows just what a pathetic bunch we are.
addendumb Being an almost perfectionist, I couldn't stand it, and went and did 5 minutes of research .
It seems Balabushka bought Titleist full piece blanks from Brunswick, {so did Frank Paradise Ernie Guiterez Gina and {Eugene Balner Palmer Cues , seems he misspelled his own name} among others, all following in Rambows footsteps. Then they went to Richard Black for blanks and then to Gus Zsamboti.
Am I to believe that if I cut a 1 piece cue in half , add a joint and some inlays and rings at the joints I am a custom cue maker?
What are we going to do bout this? It makes me so sick I can barely eat or sleep.
Are you all just going to sit by, and let these misconceptions perpetuate? The horror , oh the horror. and shame ,as Gomer Pyle used to say "Shame, shame, shame, shame, shame"
I am sorry you are so upset you cannot sleep. Their are some really good ways to calm down so you can sleep. Try counting backwards and saying deeper in between each number. It used to work for me when I stayed awake fretting over things.
On the serious side I for one have built cues with Spain blanks like Bushka did. I have also made my own point blanks from scratch. I have even built blanks for other cuemakers and I expect no recognition for that to their customers. Yes I said Cuemakers, not Cue Assemblers or as you put it Liars and Thieves. (lies and thieving). Here is why I say cuemakers. If someone takes a square or round piece of wood and turns it down and builds a butt out of it then take a piece of maple and builds a shaft out of it. Even though it is a simple cue they made a cue. They did it from scratch pretty much. That makes them a simple cuemaker. If they used premade inlays and put them in that cue they are still a cuemaker. They may be a beginning inlay artist but still an inlay artist.

Now for the so called crime that seems unforgivable to the critics like yourself. Someone buys a Point blank for the forearm of their cue and installs their own ring work, handle, butt sleeve, joint, butt plate, weight bolt, wrap and finish. In some peoples minds they are not real cuemakers even though they just did a lot more work than they did using squares to make a simple cue. They allowed someone to make one decorative part of the cue for them and they get called derogatory things like wanna be cuemakers or cue assemblers, or liars or thieves. They are cuemakers of different levels and some that are considered really great cuemakers don't even do inlay work.
As you and Gomer said "Shame, shame, shame, shame, shame". But not on the cuemakers who farm out a little of their work, but shame on their critics.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think the intricate work and inlays are the point of fancy handmade cues. As I kid I remember a hustler who would grab the pool hall broom and use it as a cue and beat the best of players.

Did you, your dad, uncle, or other family member pay their way through college too?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another broom and mop story.
There's a million of them.
I just had an idea. :idea: (Slow but sure wins the race.)

That would explain why pool halls tend to be so dirty. All of the brooms and mops are in use as cues. Now I can sleep at night because I can stop wondering about that.

Well, except now I'm mad about all the cue makers who just put in a little MOP (the other kind of mop:D) and charge hundreds of dollars for a 30 dollar cue. When will the outrage end? :angry::angry::angry::confused:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not all about just owning a high end cue. George Balabushka is regarded as one of the Greatest of his time. Willie Mosconi Fav Cue was the One George built for him that sold at auction a few years ago for $ 80,000. It is just like getting a Autograph From Elvis Presley or Babe Ruth , 2 of the Biggest Icons in History , They were the GOAT'S ,A Autograph from them still commands big money because they were the best at what they did . George Balabushka was considered the Best at what he did, Even if he did buy titlist Blanks from Brunswick it was the Finished Product after he put his touch to it that everybody wanted. It is knowing that you own a piece of History and hold in your hands a cue made from one of the Greatest of his era. George was not a Wealthy man and made due with what he had and did the best he could . That adds more to his legend. You have to remember that he sold his cues for like $ 150-175 so he did not get rich off them. It was a few yeras after he passed away that his cues went to the top. He did not get to see , or know that he is regarded as one of the Best. He did not Lie and thief anyone, Heck Rambo sold his cues to were he just made a couple of bucks that Prolay did not justify his time but he was proud of them and enjoyed doing it , It was more than a hobby to him and George, They had Pride in them , They sold them at a far reasonable cost . Buying one of George Cues is like buying A Bat that Babe Ruth hit with, There is something special about it. As far as not being able to sleep about it , you are going to have to calm down and come back to reality . It will be OK , I Promise .

middleofnowhere

Registered
I was told that at one time, most of the famous cue makers bought their spliced butts from the same guy. Then they bought a chunk of wood and turned it down and made a shaft, or just bought one premade from another guy who did it better than them , and stuck some diamonds or dots or rings that were mass produced by someone else and sold to everyone, into the mix.
Those were added to the carcass and turned to whatever specs wanted ,or as close as they could get with their hand me down equipment, they barely knew how to operate, a finish was added and the cue was sold as a Balabushka or Zsamboti or whatever their name was .
Did these guys say, hey I didn't make that butt, I got it from Richard or hey I didn't make those inlays or rings ,Johnny the apprentice at Henrys shop makes those all day long, better and cheaper than I can.
I'm a historian of the players, not equipment, but I'm so mad about this I wanted to alert all of you that you don't want to be suckers and buy any of these Frankencues, I couldn't sleep at night and my crystal clear ,never did anything questionable in my life conscience, just couldn't stand it.
In my opinion ,anyone who spends over 200 dollars for a pool cue is a showoff or a sucker.
I paid 400 for one because I was a showoff. It doesn't play any better than the 20 dollar McDermott I played with for a couple of years.
If you approve of this message , please add your own expertise by all means to it, so that we can end this nonsense about cuemakers and their lies and thieving
Or, we could have our own place to discuss this stuff like the aiming channel , so it isn't all over the Main page and the first thing everyone sees and shows just what a pathetic bunch we are.
addendumb Being an almost perfectionist, I couldn't stand it, and went and did 5 minutes of research .
It seems Balabushka bought Titleist full piece blanks from Brunswick, {so did Frank Paradise Ernie Guiterez Gina and {Eugene Balner Palmer Cues , seems he misspelled his own name} among others, all following in Rambows footsteps. Then they went to Richard Black for blanks and then to Gus Zsamboti.
Am I to believe that if I cut a 1 piece cue in half , add a joint and some inlays and rings at the joints I am a custom cue maker?
What are we going to do bout this? It makes me so sick I can barely eat or sleep.
Are you all just going to sit by, and let these misconceptions perpetuate? The horror , oh the horror. and shame ,as Gomer Pyle used to say "Shame, shame, shame, shame, shame"

I know you spent a lot of time on this but, "So what" As long as it is a solid playing cue.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
References
Bachmen, Martyne S. (April 2004). "Balabushka: One of a Kind". Billiards Digest: 60–63. ISSN 0164-761X.
Stein, Victor; Rubino, Paul (1996) [1st ed. 1994]. The Billiard Encyclopedia: An Illustrated History of the Sport (2nd ed.). Minneapolis: Blue Book Publications. pp. 315, 321–31, 333–35. ISBN 1-886768-06-4.
J.W. Alicoate; Joseph Darmenberg; M.D. Kann, eds. (1927). The Film daily year book of motion pictures. J. W. Alicoate. p. 791. OCLC 1569196.
Kowalick, Vince (November 26, 1994). "No Matter How You Cue Up, It's Tough to Beat a Legend". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 2, 2009.
Simpson, Brad (1996). Paul Rubino & Victor Stein (eds.). Blue Book of Pool Cues (first ed.). Blue Book Publications. pp. 103–4, 412, 422. ISBN 1-886768-02-1.
U.S. Patent 2,553,887, May 22, 1951. Retrieved on May 2, 2009.
Shamos, Michael Ian (1993). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards. New York, NY: Lyons & Burford. pp. 14, 29, 71–2. ISBN 1-55821-219-1.
"ACA Awards, ACA Hall of Fame". American Cuemakers Association. 2003. Retrieved November 16, 2006.
"BCA Hall of Fame Inductees: 2002 – 2006". Billiard Congress of America. 2006. Archived from the original on October 19, 2006. Retrieved November 16, 2006.
Staff writers (January 29, 2004). "Laurance, Balabushka Picked for Hall of Fame". Billiards Digest. Retrieved May 8, 2009.
Zibart, Eve (February 25, 1990). "The Cadillac Of Cue Sticks". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 16, 2009.
Commercial information about the Joss N7 model pool cue
"Syracuse man will show his sticks in New York City" (fee required). Syracuse Herald-Journal. January 12, 1998. p. D7. Retrieved February 7, 2010. Some of these are irrelevant but are they all?

To answer your questions ,yes I have been in 2 custom cue makers shops ,both friends and great guys,
2. I will knock anything I care to, just like other people in here do.
3. I have nothing against you, and don't really want to , but I have played with a couple of Balabushkas and a Zsamboti and a Rambow , and they all felt like baseball bats. that is where my opinion comes from.
If you like them , that's great, I'm afraid you are missing the tree for the forest.

By your 1st post I don't believe the 2 custom cuemakers are your friends. You told us to steer away from custom makers and the cues they piece together easily. Then you told us they are ripoffs just so we can show off. Go find something productive to do troll.