So, how much did he lose ?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoops,, I totally missed that,,, I guess this lockdown situation is affecting all of us, obviously me included.

This JB story gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I am not involved in any way other than I watched some of the stream as it was happening.

I wish/would hope my marriage was as strong as his,,, if I did this I can honestly say my relationship might not survive.

I feel bad for him too and glad he is working this out.

Scrunge19

Registered
Are you one of the individuals he owes money?

Just trying to establish how his payment plan is pertinent information for the general public, such as individuals in the AZ community.

This whole event should just be between and those he owes money to. Which is why he shouldn't have posted those videos in the first place. They did nothing but make him look foolish and a poor businessman in front of many of his clientele. Makes no sense to publish those.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
He should never have bet the 10k vs Lou-That should have taught him right there. How can such a smart man be so dumb? I could see if he was 25 years old going off but at 50+ with a wife etc, if you dont smarten up by then, you never will. I predict he dies broke.

He is very smart but had a difficult upbringing. I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but maybe this will help to understand it, or help in case others here find themselves in a similar situation and may want to consider treatment.

https://www.promisesbehavioralhealth.com/addiction-recovery-blog/stages-of-compulsive-gambling/

Here are some excerpts:

Action Compulsive Gambler Profile:

Generally male, the action compulsive gambler possesses an I.Q. over 120, is controlling, manipulative and domineering and has a big ego. He is also confident, assertive, energetic and very persuasive, yet with a low self-esteem.

... Games of choice are typically those of skill

...The numbing or narcotic-like effect ... acts as a kind of medication to the action compulsive gambler. But it doesn’t stop the progression of compulsive gambling.

... Gambling to cover pain – Since gambling is the only activity that makes the action compulsive gambler feel better – he thinks – he continues gambling in order to cover up the increasing pain that he feels.

Like I said before, I personally don't think John is a compulsive gambler, but he is complicated and shares many of the traits they describe. I think his best solution would be to never bet a single penny again. Ever. If somebody goads him into betting, he needs to say "I can't do that. It's hurt me and my life. I don't want to be ruined."

If that means quitting pool, so be it.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is very smart but had a difficult upbringing. I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but maybe this will help to understand it, or help in case others here find themselves in a similar situation and may want to consider treatment.

https://www.promisesbehavioralhealth.com/addiction-recovery-blog/stages-of-compulsive-gambling/

Here are some excerpts:

Action Compulsive Gambler Profile:

Generally male, the action compulsive gambler possesses an I.Q. over 120, is controlling, manipulative and domineering and has a big ego. He is also confident, assertive, energetic and very persuasive, yet with a low self-esteem.

... Games of choice are typically those of skill

...The numbing or narcotic-like effect ... acts as a kind of medication to the action compulsive gambler. But it doesn’t stop the progression of compulsive gambling.

... Gambling to cover pain – Since gambling is the only activity that makes the action compulsive gambler feel better – he thinks – he continues gambling in order to cover up the increasing pain that he feels.

Like I said before, I personally don't think John is a compulsive gambler, but he is complicated and shares many of the traits they describe. I think his best solution would be to never bet a single penny again. Ever. If somebody goads him into betting, he needs to say "I can't do that. It's hurt me and my life. I don't want to be ruined."

If that means quitting pool, so be it.

Interesting.

Do you think sexual abuse was involved growing up?

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ommunities/links/09e415063113534e9d000000.pdf

P.S. Would a $5 wager be considered a problem?

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more thing:

If you're ever so lucky to have an amazing partner like I have cherish them because no amount of money or success can replace them. Finding someone who truly means it when they say "for better or worse" is like winning the life lottery. Someone who picks you up when you stumble and runs alongside you to greater heights than you had ever dreamed you could reach is more important than a million words trying to explain why.

Right on John. So true. Glad you do. I do as well.

You will be back in a flash. You make the best cases and there is a demand for the best.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 35k to about 5 people. Everybody is cool. Everyone involved understands and everyone is getting paid.

It's a simple equation, got my nose open and just have to work off the debt. I say "work off" because if not for the current crisis and missing three big shows we would have a lot more cash on hand. So because of current unknowns with this virus I am simply paying off slower than I normally would.

I said it was free money and it was. Free in the sense that when a person is going off the people on the other side can ONLY gain and not lose. It's not the same as two parties posting a stake and going at it. The risk is not the same. Anyone who has spent any time gambling in pool rooms understands this.

At no time did I say that I would not pay everything I lost. I also haven't asked for any discount on what's owed although one of the people made a generous offer that I accepted.

Someone here made a comment that if I weren't such a douchebag then he could muster up some sympathy. Well, let me be clear, I didn't ask for anyone's sympathy. I got myself in for the reasons I stated and I will pay off everyone as I clearly stated.

I am not in financial trouble, my company is fine. I don't have to sell an organ to pay for it.

I made a video primarily for my own reasons to kind of work out the analysis and to be clear that I am 100% at fault and I didn't get hustled or ganged up on. I simply got into a weird state where I stopped having fun and dug a hole that got increasingly bigger. The pattern has been the same with only the amounts being different throughout my life in pool. The other reason I made the video was to show people what can happen in such a dynamic and let them take whatever lesson that can from it if any.

Some will see an out of control degenerate gambler. Some will see a guy who just got in way over his head. Some will see an egotistical jerkoff who got what was coming to him. Some will see a nice guy who got hustled in their opinion.

I see it as purchasing an experience that will shape the rest of my life. Not being in my skin and not having lived my life there aren't many who can understand the deeper points I was making in my video. There are, however, a few good friends who understand them completely.

So, moving forward I am at peace, family and business are fine, everyone is getting paid and pool is TRULY fun again. Buy a JB case and you will have something solid that is way more reliable than JB's pool game.

Heard alot bout the quality of ur cases , picked one up recently and was utterly amazed on the quality i got . Have never felt the same amount of protection while maintaining feather light weight .
As for ur gambling , you man up and gambled and took the consequences by acknowledging to pay up , i got nothin but respect .
Stay safe my friend , would like to get a custom order from you one day !

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder, if John had won, how many of those side bettors would have paid off?

My thoughts are probably few of them would have actually paid off.

I too, got lessons from an old hustler from my hometown. Make everyone post, especially those you know. (I was whining, about someone not paying me after a small win that didn't get paid) Look at the AZ action room and most are on "good action list" and those who welch only happens once.

John is an adult, and since he didn't make it clear that they would need to post if they lost, then just as he said, it was free money.

John pay your debt, take down the videos and move on.

I wish all parties the best,

Ken

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Count me in on being a Non-Fakebook User, I call it Fakebood because of Clown's like my Sister in Laws, Son.

His FAKEBOOK profile say's he's a Firefighter - EMT. He was a voulenteer firefighter long ago. Not ev3en sure he could turn or, or off a GAS barbeque. He is lazy.

Today he wear a Wally World Vest, and is stocking shelves PT, while his 74 y/o mom, helps support his family.

LOOSER.

LOL you just described 95% of the people on there.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Interesting.

Do you think sexual abuse was involved growing up?

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ommunities/links/09e415063113534e9d000000.pdf

P.S. Would a $5 wager be considered a problem?

I don't think that kind of abuse was involved. If I recall it was more of broken family issues.

Like I said, I'm not convinced he is a compulsive gambler just by the few episodes I've seen. But he seems to go off when he's on the stage. I've also seen gamblers do this in Las Vegas. They'll have a table to themselves and attract a crowd. The more cheering, the higher the bet, losing 100K, 200K is not as important as putting on the show.

On the abstaining from gambling thing, I was a former very heavy cigarette smoker. I know I can't just have a cigarette now and then, it's just playing with fire. Because I've sworn not to (it's been 20 years) there is a huge mental hurdle I would have to make just to have one simple puff. Putting the obstacle of "never ever again" is a no nonsense approach to controlling additions.

In the case of addiction, I think clever people have a tougher time because they come up with clever ways to hide their issues and clever excuses they give themselves. My brother, who is very smart, quit smoking, but has now been on the nicotine patch (the biggest one) for 8 years. His reasoning? Weight control. Is that a valid reason, or just an excuse to get his drug of choice?

In my book, "none" is the most straightforward, honest, and easily defined way to quit an addictive behavior.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whoops,, I totally missed that,,, I guess this lockdown situation is affecting all of us, obviously me included.

This JB story gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I am not involved in any way other than I watched some of the stream as it was happening.

I wish/would hope my marriage was as strong as his,,, if I did this I can honestly say my relationship might not survive.

I can honestly say, I'd be surprised if she allowed me to remain conscious...:eek: :D

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason I asked for that break was that I wanted to try and refocus. I was on the phone with a friend and I said I would pay $2 for missed shots. Was just a way to try and get a rhythm that felt somewhat comfortable. At that point though there wasn't any getting better and every shot felt really hard. As I explained in the video the conditions were very uncomfortable and hard to deal with. But as I said I chose to be there and chose to get stupid with the bets and that made it even tougher on me.

I learned a lot and most of it is because I had a friend with me who could lend his analysis from his perspective. I would rather have learned these lessons for a lot less money but in the end it's not about the money. You are right that preparation and practice is a key component and even though you didn't know why I was taking the break and "banging balls" you are correct that walking in with better fundamentals (gained through the repetition) is super important. And yes it's "obvious" but as I said when your mind isn't right then what's logical isn't really at the forefront.

You made a mistake and you are doing what you can to make it right, anyone who doesn't think that is ok, is a dipshit.
As you know, most of the knockers don't have anything to begin with , or if they do, they know they are gutless , so they just sit around, and mouth tough guy words.
It's a hard hit, but you will be ok . My weakness was alcohol, all my "buddies" would help me get drunk, then try to rob me. A few times it worked, I avoid those people like they have the plague now. I also never drink or gamble any more , it makes me become someone I don't like. Good luck to you

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should never have bet the 10k vs Lou-That should have taught him right there. How can such a smart man be so dumb? I could see if he was 25 years old going off but at 50+ with a wife etc, if you dont smarten up by then, you never will. I predict he dies broke.

But, but... so many said it was a close match.

You know, earlier I said that this was almost inevitable. I said that because, as some of you may remember, during the run up before our match JB was woofing that he wanted to double the bet. That he would cover all side action at the venue. That he hoped to get down for $35,000.

Of course when we both got to the table and I told him I wanted to bet another $10,000, he demurred. He also didn't take a single rail bet. So IMO, this desire to "take it all on," so to speak, as been percolating in the depths of his psyche for years. Subconsciously, he's been dying to correct backing down after all his braggadocio, show everyone he can roll high, and light the fuse.

This was the culmination. He finally got to light the fuse. And he went off like a skyrocket.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting question there at the end.

Lou Figueroa

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
since when does he owe us the details?

while he certainly made the whole ordeal public, he really only owes details to the ones he's indebted too...'

So when are these first installment of stimulus checks by JB going out?

What and how much is the installments?

Does he get to just settle the debt.

Perhaps 35k can be settled for 20k?

Are these new batches of cases, post-garage debt, will be good quality? He has to pump a tons of cases to pay down this debt.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

You know, earlier I said that this was almost inevitable. I said that because, as some of you may remember, during the run up before our match JB was woofing that he wanted to double the bet. That he would cover all side action at the venue. That he hoped to get down for $35,000.

Of course when we both got to the table and I told him I wanted to bet another $10,000, he demurred. He also didn't take a single rail bet. So IMO, this desire to "take it all on," so to speak, as been percolating in the depths of his psyche for years. Subconsciously, he's been dying to correct backing down after all his braggadocio, show everyone he can roll high, and light the fuse.

This was the culmination. He finally got to light the fuse. And he went off like a skyrocket.

Lou Figueroa

Public Notice: I'm officially staying out of this one. :poke:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I see that you're still in his head. You would know more than any of us in regards to his behavior and I think the match you had with him got to him. It had a long lasting effect and this sauna garage probably messed with his thinking. He doesn't thrive in uncomfortable situations like some people do.

He wanted to probably fit in the group and threw money out there that he shouldn't like he was some professional.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't believe the excuses you guys are giving John. A bet is a bet. If he won he's gonna get to get paid. If he don't pay... Nobody should ever bet this guy anything.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Can't believe the excuses you guys are giving John. A bet us a bet. If he won he's gonna get to get paid. If he don't pay... Nobody should ever bet this guy anything.

If nobody ever bet John anything, it would be to his benefit. Sadly, that won't happen.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't believe the excuses you guys are giving John. A bet us a bet. If he won he's gonna get to get paid. If he don't pay... Nobody should ever bet this guy anything.

He didn't pay so that's a good thing for his family and his business.