So, how much did he lose ?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't know John, never met the guy other than his internet stuff. So, does anyone think he really learned anything? Or, will he "go off" again?

I might play a big set in the future someday but I definitely won't be going off - big or small. Sometimes you just KNOW that you turned a corner and this is that time for me.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I've always thought he was bi-polar or had a bit of schizophrenia.

He can't control himself and has a tendency to always let his emotions control his impulsive actions.

The second part is definitely true. The first might be the case on some level but highly doubtful. Think mindfulness and conditioning. Just needed to come to some long over due realizations and inner truths.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
One more thing:

If you're ever so lucky to have an amazing partner like I have cherish them because no amount of money or success can replace them. Finding someone who truly means it when they say "for better or worse" is like winning the life lottery. Someone who picks you up when you stumble and runs alongside you to greater heights than you had ever dreamed you could reach is more important than a million words trying to explain why.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
The second part is definitely true. The first might be the case on some level but highly doubtful. Think mindfulness and conditioning. Just needed to come to some long over due realizations and inner truths.

John, I love you, man...just about unconditionally! :thumbup: :smile-us-down: :grin-square:

Nearly everyone gets swept up in something or another at some point in their lives. You just do it spectacularly and maybe more frequently than most. :eek:

Now, try to do your version of Willie's IRS album. I know, the shows need to get going for you...

best,
brian kc

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John, I love you, man...just about unconditionally! :thumbup: :smile-us-down: :grin-square:

Nearly everyone gets swept up in something or another at some point in their lives. You just do it spectacularly and maybe more frequently than most. :eek:

Now, try to do your version of Willie's IRS album. I know, the shows need to get going for you...

best,
brian kc

I JUST reopened this thread to post that this line in your sig sums it up best. And here you are!

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father (Brians's dad)

I guess I forgot that lesson after leaving home at 14 because my mother would always make sure that it didn't. :)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
John, it's encouraging to see your controlled response here. Appreciate that you clarified the amount involved. Your response may just help the next guy with similar issues. I know you're going to do what you need to do to survive. In the meantime I wish you well!

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that was supposed to be all your money

No, I like an occasional, modest bet and don't think I would ever have been part of a situation like that.

It's a funny thing. We all go through life and have similar experiences but take away different lessons. I was very blessed that when I was a young man I had two gambling, air barrel experiences that I walked away from unscathed. But I did get a peek into the abyss and realized I didn't really want a view of it again.

The first time was getting into a poker game in college and losing $500 one night, which I did not have. The house rule was that all debts had to be settle within the week. I didn't have it. So I get a call that another game was starting up the next night and I said there was no way I could get in. But, somehow I went. And, to make a long story short, I won exactly $525. I threw the last $25 chip in the pot, got up, and walked away and never played in that game again.

The second time was also in college. I'd often go to Lake Tahoe on the express bus from San Francisco to play blackjack. On one snowy trip I ended up losing my original $200 and then floated about $800 in bad checks that I wouldn't be able to cover. I decided to float one more check for $200 and sat down and started playing $25 a hand, and then $50 and the occasional $100. Long story short again, I won the $800 back, cashed out and then walked a mile through the snow to the nearest Wells Fargo bank and deposited the money in my checking account. Then I froze my ass off waiting for the bus to take me back home.

That was it for me as far as gambling on money I didn't have. Never bet what I don't have in my pocket and am comfortable losing.

Lou Figueroa

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not on his FB and have heard zero about this, but I had a feeling I knew who Joey was talking about! ha ha.

Without clicking on the YouTube for more information, and only going by what was said in this thread, which was basically cheap sets of 100 turned into crazy money amounts, upwards of 50k.

My opinion is this: John pays 1000, and they call it even. When things escalate to super high amounts, its never real. Both players at that point know its all BS. What did the other guy have in his pocket? 500 maybe?

I'd wager a good amount of us lifetime junkies have had this happen to us. I had it happen when I was 19 or so. The main gambling game at our room was 2,5,10,15, and we normally played it at $5 per weigh. One guy who was always in the game and I knew had some money in general, wanted to play heads up with me for 20 per weigh. I got him down a bit, and we raised the bet every few games. I ended up ahead $8,000. Afterwards he says to me: "You know you are not getting all that, right?" I say: "Of course I know. How about we settle for 1000?" (which he had beat me for and I paid him about a month prior). He agreed. I never saw a dime, and I never saw him again.

Years later his younger brother started playing pool, and told me the older brother never showed his face again and never played pool again because he was embarrassed about the whole thing.

No. Never. Unless it's a friend, a regular gambling buddy where small wagers are placed to keep each other from trying stupid shots or just to have some incentive to win, other than pride. If the friendship means more than the money, then sure...most often friends never really pay each other if one loses his ass, except for occasional meals, drinks, or table time.

But if it's not a friend, if it's just a player that thinks he can take your money, and he loses his ass....he needs to pay up. If he had no intention of paying up then he shouldn't have played. Not sure what JB and his opponents relationship is, whether or not they're buddies. That'll determine how it gets handled, how much cash actually changes hands, if any. If backers were involved, it was not just friendly races that got out of control. When other people's money is on the line, somebody gotta pay.

Last edited:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason I asked for that break was that I wanted to try and refocus. I was on the phone with a friend and I said I would pay $2 for missed shots. Was just a way to try and get a rhythm that felt somewhat comfortable. At that point though there wasn't any getting better and every shot felt really hard. As I explained in the video the conditions were very uncomfortable and hard to deal with. But as I said I chose to be there and chose to get stupid with the bets and that made it even tougher on me.

I learned a lot and most of it is because I had a friend with me who could lend his analysis from his perspective. I would rather have learned these lessons for a lot less money but in the end it's not about the money. You are right that preparation and practice is a key component and even though you didn't know why I was taking the break and "banging balls" you are correct that walking in with better fundamentals (gained through the repetition) is super important. And yes it's "obvious" but as I said when your mind isn't right then what's logical isn't really at the forefront.

You had a friend with you?!!!

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You had a friend with you?!!!

and that friend let him lose a car.

John and most of us on here are normal working class people with a pretty good level of pool talent but not 35k level. That’s the level of pros or gambling shortstops where in a bad day they can still come victorious. Except these guys will gamble ata decent venue and not in some hot garage. What was he thinking?

There were also pros in that garage? It’s like Lebron James gambling with an amateur. They should know better but then this is pool. Playing in a hot garage is not a place to be playing that kind of money. Playing in a garage is for shit and giggles.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One more thing:

If you're ever so lucky to have an amazing partner like I have cherish them because no amount of money or success can replace them. Finding someone who truly means it when they say "for better or worse" is like winning the life lottery. Someone who picks you up when you stumble and runs alongside you to greater heights than you had ever dreamed you could reach is more important than a million words trying to explain why.

Amen to this JB. You couldn't have said it anymore profoundly. :cool:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Damn you Mark Elliot Zuckerberg

Attachments

• 3yihkv.jpg
    3yihkv.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 439

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should never have bet the 10k vs Lou-That should have taught him right there. How can such a smart man be so dumb? I could see if he was 25 years old going off but at 50+ with a wife etc, if you dont smarten up by then, you never will. I predict he dies broke.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when are these first installment of stimulus checks by JB going out?

What and how much is the installments?

Does he get to just settle the debt.

Perhaps 35k can be settled for 20k?

Are these new batches of cases, post-garage debt, will be good quality? He has to pump a tons of cases to pay down this debt.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kidding.

Coronavirus joke.

Whoops,, I totally missed that,,, I guess this lockdown situation is affecting all of us, obviously me included.

This JB story gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I am not involved in any way other than I watched some of the stream as it was happening.

I wish/would hope my marriage was as strong as his,,, if I did this I can honestly say my relationship might not survive.