Any other oldies out there finding out the "golden years" is just another lie

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kudos

I'm with AKguy....that's one of the best posts I've read here in a while....

I'll be turning 70 next month, and while there's things I can't do very well anymore, there's lots of things I can do that is a blessing.....Life is definitely good....and I thank God for it.

I think back to when I had 2 hip replacement surgeries, the aftermath of laying in that hospital bed, so weakened that I had to have people help me roll over to another sleeping position, and realizing what it means to be bedridden and feel so helpless......Man, I say count your blessings for just being able to get up and do the simplest things in life. Go do it! Tomorrow is promised to nobody.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The absolute most important vitamin you can take for overall well being is Turmeric. If you don't take anything else take this one! Yes, I also take Omega 3 (fish oil) every day, along with Vitamin D3, CoQ-10, and a really good multiple vitamin.

Thanks, Jay for the steer to Turmeric (curcumin). At age 81, I appreciate learning about a seeming do-all, near-wonder supplement. And a very well-researched one at that. Here’s a pretty substantial overview I found relating to its benefits:

https://draxe.com/turmeric-benefits/

And this supplier seems to have the best bang for the buck on the supplement. Very good customer reviews too:

http://tinyurl.com/hmryylu

Thanks again.

Arnaldo

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need Tamsulosin. Then you will only get up one time every night. :wink:
P.S. Sex helps too, a lot!
I'm 75 (and will be 76 in about a month) and have been taking TAMSULOSIN for years. And I don't have to get up in the night; but I only get about five–six hours of sleep a night.
Tell your MD you need it! PRONTO!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'll tell you I'm only 67 and the wheels are coming off the cart. I'm paying for all my foolishness. Motorcycle, marshal arts , football concussions. Broken ribs and assorted other breaks. Man what a mess. Add to that essential tremors, probably from the concussions.I wish I was a horse many times so someone could put me out of my misery .

I am thankful that I can still play pool daily at the senior center; Heck I got lots of excuses for my game :grin:

Sorry for the rant.

Gio ... or perhaps since you have 7 years on me I should say "Mr. Sr." Ranting is fine - we've earned the right. Yea ... the voices say "enjoy the moment and cherish the day" ... but COPD, arthritis, heart issues, etc. sometimes make it hard. Waking up is tough sometimes ... but keep thinking about making that 526 +1 run. Keep stepping up to the table. Good or bad - there's enjoyment to be had in finding that "stroke". I wish you the very best sir.

Ched

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'm 75 (and will be 76 in about a month) and have been taking TAMSULOSIN for years. And I don't have to get up in the night; but I only get about five–six hours of sleep a night.
Tell your MD you need it! PRONTO!

Not familiar with that one ... but gotta love "meds"

Ched

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Geez there's a lot old farts here.

Main reason I joined. :) ... I walked away from Wikipedia, from Facebook, from so so many online forums because I just don't have the patience for the kids anymore ... at least the disrespectful one.

Ched

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gio ... or perhaps since you have 7 years on me I should say "Mr. Sr." Ranting is fine - we've earned the right. Yea ... the voices say "enjoy the moment and cherish the day" ... but COPD, arthritis, heart issues, etc. sometimes make it hard. Waking up is tough sometimes ... but keep thinking about making that 526 +1 run. Keep stepping up to the table. Good or bad - there's enjoyment to be had in finding that "stroke". I wish you the very best sir.

Ched

Sorry I missed this Ched.Thanks.

Yeah I keep chasing the "in stroke " feeling.

Now that I think of it it's like when I surf fish in NJ. You catch a 20 pound Striper off the beach and you spend thousands trying for another or a 30 some day.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a very good reason you see pool tables in most senior citizen centers. It's a great form of exercise for older people. You are stretching, bending, walking and moving for an extended period of time. Just practicing alone and you may walk two miles in an hour! We're all lucky that we already love the game, so it doesn't seem like exercise. It still feels good to make a tough shot, even with nothing on the line except your pride. :)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a very good reason you see pool tables in most senior citizen centers. It's a great form of exercise for older people. You are stretching, bending, walking and moving for an extended period of time. Just practicing alone and you may walk two miles in an hour! We're all lucky that we already love the game, so it doesn't seem like exercise. It still feels good to make a tough shot, even with nothing on the line except your pride. :)

Yes Jay, I've often wondered if I would have reached my current state of longevity, if it were not for pool?..Sure, I inhaled smoky pool room air, and probably drank too much..But for most of my life, pool was my only form of genuine exercise!.. My 20 yrs. at UPS, required even more bending, walking, etc! :rolleyes:

I rarely practiced, but I was in almost constant action!..I also wonder, what that would equate to in actual milage, walking around the table and getting up and down to shoot?..I would venture to say, except for maybe a basketball player, no other endeavor would even come close!..And basketball (or no other sport or game) ever consumed your entire life, from youth to old age, like pool does! :cool:

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes Jay, I've often wondered if I would have reached my current state of longevity, if it were not for pool?..Sure, I inhaled smoky pool room air, and probably drank too much..But for most of my life, pool was my only form of genuine exercise!.. My 20 yrs. at UPS, required even more bending, walking, etc! :rolleyes:

I rarely practiced, but I was in almost constant action!..I also wonder, what that would equate to in actual milage, walking around the table and getting up and down to shoot?..I would venture to say, except for maybe a basketball player, no other endeavor would even come close!..And basketball (or no other sport or game) ever consumed your entire life, from youth to old age, like pool does! :cool:

Remember Dick, when we had a game we might play eight to ten hours straight, sometimes even longer. I know one thing, I was always thin in those days, staying at 145 pounds until my 40's. I went up to 175 after I quit playing and am currently at 165 since I began dieting.

One other benefit that people forget. Pool players don't age since we are never out in the Sun. We used to call it a "poolroom sun tan" and that's a good thing. The only time I saw the Sun was for a short time while heading to the poolroom after I woke up in the afternoon and early in the morning on my way back home. I got to watch the commuters on their way to work at 7 AM and think how lucky I was to be going the opposite way! :D

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing for 65 years. I always say I'm older, but not elderly -- thanks to every physical and creative mental aspect of playing pool regularly. Never two days alike. New discoveries, new challenges.

At 81, I'm simply in "a more advanced state of youth." :)

Arnaldo

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you Arnaldo.... everyday is a new day & a possibility of learning something, winning another game, selling another BreakRAK, or Break Shot book. And every Friday & Saturday is another Challenge on the Golf Table at Magoo's.

I'm 74 & wish I was 18 Again.. !