Breakshot practice

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this ball in hand scenario. Not as easy as it appears.
What works best for you?
Break ball is 1 diamond out. 1 diamond past side.

Attachments

• 14730181109591388246912.jpg
    14730181109591388246912.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:

gpieler

Option 1: I would place the cueball on the line, like 1 and a half diamonds far from the left long cushion. 1ball in the middle pocket, follow shot and aim on the corner ball (4ball if i am right) of the rack. Medium speed, try to keep the cueball close to the short cushion, because the corner ball will roll to the short cushion and you can continue it.

Option 2 (in case if you feel the pockets, clothes and the whole table): Cueball on the same position as in Option 1, maybe a little closer to the first diamond on the left. 1ball in the middlepocket, and drive the cueball to the 6ball's right side with right follow spin. Cueball split the rack and from one cushion it will go center-table. It's a bit risky, but you have a center-table cueball and maybe more options to run, as in Option 1. :)

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pockets on this table are tight. I got best results shooting 1 ball in furthest corner pocket and following cueball to hit top of rack.

gpieler

Yeah, that is more simply :) Or 1ball in the left corner pocket and white goes two cushions, and hit the rack from behind. That is maybe a bit more safe. :) Anyway, it's a hard shot.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fan of side pockets, I would think about cutting it thin into the left side and carrying the speed into the rack.......

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What the guy above me said.

I wrote something else originally, because I couldn't quite see the breakballs position all that clearly. If it is on your side of the side pocket (closer to the head of the table), then you should be able to cut it into the closest side pocket. If it is on the other side of the center pocket line, then you should shoot it in the opposite side pocket. In that case you should not hit the closest head ball, but the one furthest away. The reason for this is that you won't have a lot of speed on the ball and you may stick if you hit the closest head ball full in the face. If you hit the other head ball, the cueball will glance into the side rail and out, giving you a shot.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the guy above me said.

I wrote something else originally, because I couldn't quite see the breakballs position all that clearly. If it is on your side of the side pocket (closer to the head of the table), then you should be able to cut it into the closest side pocket. If it is on the other side of the center pocket line, then you should shoot it in the opposite side pocket. In that case you should not hit the closest head ball, but the one furthest away. The reason for this is that you won't have a lot of speed on the ball and you may stick if you hit the closest head ball full in the face. If you hit the other head ball, the cueball will glance into the side rail and out, giving you a shot.

On this table it is hard to pocket the ball in the near(left) side pocket and go directly into the stack. Shoot int the right side pocket and you cant go directly into the stack either. Set it up and experiment.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'd play safe before attempting to cut it into the right side pocket.

Many players would slow roll the ball in and then play safe.

You have ball in hand so how do you play safe? Where do you try and leave the balls? This could be a great practice idea also. How many times have you attempted a shot only to find it didmt go the way you planned. THAT is what practice is all about:wink:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many players would slow roll the ball in and then play safe.

You have ball in hand so how do you play safe? Where do you try and leave the balls? This could be a great practice idea also. How many times have you attempted a shot only to find it didmt go the way you planned. THAT is what practice is all about:wink:

If I were to play safe I'd do one of two things. Either,

1. shoot the ball in softly and get the cue ball down near the rack for a safety into the side of the rack, freezing the cue ball to the side, or

2. leave the break ball where it is and with ball in hand in the kitchen, roll into one of the top two balls to kick a bottom ball to the rail. Leaving the break ball complicates the response by the other player.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first attempt.
Slow roll break ball in+shoot into stack for safety.

I think Bob says play safe off a bottom corner?

Attachments

• 14744961784322045564574.jpg
    14744961784322045564574.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 310

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try this ball in hand scenario. Not as easy as it appears.
What works best for you?
Break ball is 1 diamond out. 1 diamond past side.
"1 diamond past the side." In the picture it looks even with the side pocket. Did you mean one diamond past the side as in this diagram? If so, I don't like the cut to the side.

CropperCapture[44].png

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Past the side away from the stack.

3 diamonds from the head rail 1diamond out.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to play safe I'd do one of two things. Either,

1. shoot the ball in softly and get the cue ball down near the rack for a safety into the side of the rack, freezing the cue ball to the side, or

2. leave the break ball where it is and with ball in hand in the kitchen, roll into one of the top two balls to kick a bottom ball to the rail. Leaving the break ball complicates the response by the other player.

I'm a short term thinker, so I take the free ball, then play safe. ;)

Or, take the break shot, trying to hit the rack too, if I miss the rack, then play safe

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Past the side away from the stack.

3 diamonds from the head rail 1diamond out.
Well, in that case, I like this shot. The plan is to land softly enough on the side of the rack that you can't scratch. Very often you will end up with a ball near A and a rebreak. This way has a good chance of success and not much risk.

CropperCapture[45].png

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had good success pocketing ball in right hand corner and hitting the head balls with a little speed.

I know Mosconi,and Lassiter both would like Bob's approach. There is a built in "damage conrol" factor should one mess up.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alpha: When you post a photo preview it first so you can see if it is sideways or not. I thought the ball was even with the side pocket. I thought somebody also said you can't hit the rack even with ball in hand. That made me think it was a thin cut on the break ball to make it in the side. Given the position I see now, I would definitely do Bob's shot. However, since I have ball in hand, I think I would play to contact one of the top two balls with a little more speed than in Bob's shot. I'm reasonably sure I can hit those balls with ball in hand.

No need to play safe, but you would have the upper hand if you played safe into the "3rd ball" as SJM calls it from the side of the pack. How did you manage to get the cue ball on the right side of the table if you played safe?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the preview suggestion.

For the safety Pocket ball in side. Then Slow roll into top right ball in the stack. I know the pictures are a little confusing.

It isnt impossible to pocket the ball in the side and hit the stack. It isnt very reliable due to aproach angle. These are not 5inch pockets!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isnt impossible to pocket the ball in the side and hit the stack. It isnt very reliable due to aproach angle. These are not 5inch pockets!

The only thing is, no matter how tight the side pocket is, there should be a spot where you can put the cue ball and hit whatever part of the rack you want, at least with the break ball in that position. If the break ball were even with the side pocket then your options with the cue ball are more limited, IMO.