Ebony finish question

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Back in 2011 I was at a dealer in Memphis and looked at an ebony Schon,and before I knew it my late dad was buying it.

It looked dead black in the store,like it was made in the 60's/70's.

From arm's length or across the room it looks dead black,even now under poolroom lighting.

However,back this past April at my yearly tournament repair gig I decided to play as well,so I had to get my cues out.

The bar that hosts this tournament has a LOT of glass on two sides,and from about noon on if the weather is nice there is an amazing amount of sunlight that comes thru the large windows on the side of the building where I set up at.

It wasn't until I laid my cues out on a table that was covered in a patch of that light that I had ever seen anything other than black,but in that stream of sunlight it looked like more like a Macassar,with a distinct grain that reminded me of really dark Bacote,with what looks like some birdseye figure :tongue:.

I turned around and held it up with my back turned to the sun and watched it turn black again.

The last I saw,Stew Mac is selling Higgins brand India Ink now instead of the oil dye,which is where I read about the dye trick on fretboards years ago.

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Flynn, sir-

Ok, my mistake.
The way i read the earlier post you made sounded like a conspiracy theory, that they owned all the rights to all the ebony left.

"One of the recent problems with Gaboon Ebony is that Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars has a virtual monopoly on it. He has contracted with the government
to purchase ALL cut ebony without the logs being split open to see how dense a blackness it was."

Per the second link, they own a sawmill/aggregator/lumber co, maybe a major one, in one country in Africa.

I do appreciate anyone taking a sustainable approach to logging and lumber, especially the rarer types.

Thank you for the clarification.
smt

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying there's a problem with the cue in the picture? :)

Mario

Good morning
Ya know. I just don't know. The pictures could be better and it looks like the O. P. Disappeared. As far as super glue itself. That has been covered, maybe last year or the year before. Even though it's my choice not to use it on the butt of a cue as a finish, I learned a lot from that thread that has allowed me to use it else where with the help of linseed oil. Shafts, and extensions to name a couple. Without the oil, it's not bonded and can chip off. With it, it is. Pretty funny but pretty cool. Accept don't condemn.

IMG_20191211_172427-1.jpg

JC

Coos Cues
Are you saying there's a problem with the cue in the picture? :)

Mario

Not sure if there is a "problem" with it but I am sure it doesn't look very visually appealing.

I wouldn't be happy presenting a cue to someone that looked like that. Whatever "that" is at it's core being sort of irrelevant.

Luchius

Registered
So much for trying to stay positive. Lol
Can you take pictures of the cue out in the sun light. I added lite to your picture. It's strange.

View attachment 537171

It is indeed the grain of the wood that makes this strange looking. I can see it under direct sunlight. It doesnt make it looks better to me tough. What else can i say... There is no way it will be fixed ��

Last edited:

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
I'm not a cuemaker but I'm guessing that's sap wood that the maker thought would cut away but didn't. So now he's got 2 choices,send a cue that looks bad or be a cuemaker that doesn't deliver on time. He definitely made the wrong choice in my opinion. If they were a newer cuemaker I'm sure it's hard to eat the cost of the materials but it would not hurt nearly as bad as a bad reputation. You should send them the pictures you posted and hopefully he/she handles it correctly. You can out them if you want but just know that your stuck with that cue. It's entirely up to you how you handle it. I hope this wasn't your first custom because you might never ordered another, I've never ordered any high end cues but I have ordered some low/mid range (300-800) and none looked like that.good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Well said. Hopefully it's a new Cue maker who can learn from this.
Michael, I do admire your positive attitude toward cue making and cue makers.
I understand that you do not want to offend anyone and that is a good way to be.

But ... sometimes you just got to call a mistake for what it is.
That cue has a mistake in its finish.
I can see it and I am sure you do too.
Personally, that cue would have never left my shop until those "mistakes" were corrected.
I seriously doubt you would let a cue like that represent your work either.

I am not afraid to stand up for the buyer on this one and publicly state that based on what I see in that photo there is a flaw in that cues finish.

I dont want to know who made it ... and dont care.
I dont want to comment on their skill or ability's nor to tout that I can do better.
No impeachment process is required.
All I am saying is that I agree this customer has a legit complaint that his cue maker should make it right.
He asked for an opinion and it has been given ... now it is between him and the cue maker and I have no part in that.

He came here with a valid concern ...
and basically got stonewalled and whitewashed for it.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Under sunlight

WilleeCue wearing his Politically Correct and Liberal hat ....

"Hey ... dont condemn ... that is the way the cue maker intended for the cue to look.
Are we unable to see the beauty in this work of art?
Would not you be more than happy to pay $800 for it and show it off to your friends?"

Attachments

• badcue.jpg
    badcue.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael, I do admire your positive attitude toward cue making and cue makers.
I understand that you do not want to offend anyone and that is a good way to be.

But ... sometimes you just got to call a mistake for what it is.
That cue has a mistake in its finish.
I can see it and I am sure you do too.
Personally, that cue would have never left my shop until those "mistakes" were corrected.
I seriously doubt you would let a cue like that represent your work either.

I am not afraid to stand up for the buyer on this one and publicly state that based on what I see in that photo there is a flaw in that cues finish.

I dont want to know who made it ... and dont care.
I dont want to comment on their skill or ability's nor to tout that I can do better.
No impeachment process is required.
All I am saying is that I agree this customer has a legit complaint that his cue maker should make it right.
He asked for an opinion and it has been given ... now it is between him and the cue maker and I have no part in that.

He came here with a valid concern ...
and basically got stonewalled and whitewashed for it.

Every question can be tuff action at times. If the first pictures were like the last picture. Responces would have been different, if there were responces at all.
I don't want to know who made the cue, if the Cue maker can't see the obvious, what could any of us say that he would care about.
To the O. P.
I feel for you. I really do. But outside of trying to repair the finish, if it's just finish. There's not much that can be done. Only you, can try to get the Cue maker to be a stand up guy.
On the accept don't condemn phrase. It doesn't apply to every situation. People should be smart eneogh to know that.