Who is the Person that has influenced your Pool Life the most?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Who is the person or persons that have had the most influence in your Pool Player life? What did this person do that made a difference?

Wow this thread has gone 6 pages now so I'm going to add mine.

Lots of people with a few main players. The first would Alfred "Smitty" Smith. He found me in 1983 and carried me around a few places to show me I wasn't all that.

Norm Pruitt who asked me to play pulling me out of Pool Retirement.

Third it was Frank Tullos who showed me a dimension of Pool I hadn't considered that caused me to want to look into it, explain it fully writing books on it. From this came the explanation of Side Spin allowances, which I think is pretty cool because I've got the only one like it in the world that I know of. Frank would play banks with me and occasionally I would hit a zone where I didnt miss much because he pushed me to. I didn't know I had that in me but he brought it out.

Third and most important was my good friend Anthony Arney. He and I became sort of road partners and shared a lot of long sets of every game there was including One Pocket. Anthony is a good player and will ring game with anyone alive and playing him made me strive harder than I've ever done so before. We fought and argued like two brothers and had verbal arguments in pool rooms from Pennsylvania New Jersey and down the east coast at various times and even got barred from places together and didn't speak for several months at least at one time, but we always made up eventually. At a point we finally grew up but man talk about some hot competition! Playing him stretched my abilities as a player and as a human being. Some good memories.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
My teammates. I have a couple great ones that I have been playing
with for a decade+. They make me wanna win more then anything else.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is the person or persons that have had the most influence in your Pool Player life? What did this person do that made a difference?

I saw Mosconi very early on in my pool playing life. Watching him effortlessly run a hundred balls, I was hooked -- line and sinker. And Gail, my wife. She was the one who encouraged me to finally send in my entry for my first US 1Pocket Open when I didn't have enough faith in myself, and, has bought me two Ginacues as anniversary presents, among an endless list of pool gimcracks. She is always there at the dinner table to listen to my latest theory on pool, usually involving a salt and pepper shaker and a dinner table napkin.

Lou Figueroa

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My first golf pro....Jack Madash....started working for him when I was twelve.
Jack said "Do your practising on the practise field."

As an action guy, this served me well....
...when you compete, go with whatever you got that day...and play fiercely.
...got a problem?
...deal with it later in solitary practise.

At whatever game i played, even at sit down games like poker, gin, and backgammon....
...certain people play like 'students'...they never did well with me.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob Byrne. Getting his book in the late 70s was the first step in giving up pool and switching to 3-cushion billiards.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath
Hal Houle
Dr. Michael Wolf
Moe Norman
Countless others

randyg

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow...... so many!!!

makes me smile to think back on all the great people and
personalities over the many, many years I've enjoyed this
game. I can't really put any above the others, but the spirit
of fun and competitiveness were exemplified by two in their
own league.... Boyd Pierce, and George Ellis. RIP

td

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George Fels: safety valves, whenever possibles.

Robert Byrne : knowledge of ball/cushion/speed&spin effects.

Kohler's Science: permissible margins of error. Shot difficulty equasion.

Amos Bush, great player and a fantastic friend.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Minnesota fats, saw his exhibition when I was 7or8 with my dad, I loved the excitement
!!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• ipt_mccready.jpg
    ipt_mccready.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 886

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up in the pool scene in N.J. in the '60s I got to see a lot of the great and real good players. Watching them was a great learning experience.
But if I had to pick one player it would be Neptune Joe Frady a very good N.J. player.

I played Joe countless games of 14.1 and 9 ball over a 10 year span and learned a lot.

Playing and learning from him moved my game up to solid short stop level.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Cisero Murphy - Cowboy Jimmy Moore - Louie Roberts - Tommy Kennedy - Ray Martin - Buddy Hall - David Howard - Jeff Carter - and last but certainly not least Randyg!

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Back in the late 60's early 70's I decided to become a pool player. Freshly enrolled in college, I discovered a few 24 hour pool rooms in Austin, TX. Being a night person, my journey began.

Old man Lowry he was called. Husband of Wilma Lowry who ran Moyers, action central in the Lone Star state. Former carnies who knew the ropes and had endless moves to offer.

I played him all games, 8-ball, 9-ball, straights, one-hole from midnite to daylight for ages, He just tortured me at the age of 80 years old.

When I finally learned how to play, he up and died and I never got a chance to get even. RIP John.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edwin Penn Santucci......."Tooch".....my stepdad.

He taught me how to play pool when I was 15 years old......55 years ago.

Eddie was a hustler extraordinaire who mostly played in NYC's Bowery Section back in the 30's.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal Houle, George Fels, Gary Pinkowski for one little tip that changed my game forever, Walter Tevis who got me hooked.

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was 12....I had to ride 1 mile to the nearest store to my house....Just so happened they had a little pool room on the back with 1 table...I befriended an old man who took me under his wing....showed me all the basics taught me how to play english and shape....I bicycled every afternoon to there and played from 12 to 14 yo....I cannot remember his name but I sure wish i could...It was what got me hooked....He was very nice and didnt have to spend time with some kid but he did....that was 33 years ago