I got called a chickensh!t by an older fellow

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
I was playing and older gentleman in his 70's for the hotseat in a local 8 ball tournament tuesday night. He shot really well and i was ahead 2-1 in a race to 3. I broke and ran to my last ball which was tied up to his ball. I thinned my ball out and spun the cueball and stuck him between his ball and the rail. He attempted to play a goofy combination and missed and i ran out. After the match he came up and shook my hand and said "I dont agree with that chickenshit shot you took" To which i replied "Im sorry sir but i have to win anyway that i can" He then jerked his hand back and angrily yelled "youre a chickenshit" and walked away. I couldnt help but laugh about it. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean experience being a chickenshit or being called on it? :confused:

LOL! Just kidding. :D I would say stuff like that happens all the time.

One of my goals in life is to not be that guy. ;)

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
There's your problem rigt thur

It was a hilarious experience. I laughed so hard at how mad he yelled at me. I had no idea local 8 ball tournaments were so fun. I may start playing them more often.
I did end up winning the tournament. $10 entry and first payed $180. Not bad for 4 hours work

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
LMFAO! It was a great experience. I heard "your'e a chickenshit"! But what he really meant was "Hey young man, that was a perfectly executed safety, continue to play like that and i may see you on the FargoRate top 100 list sometime"

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't you allowed to use the butt of your cue to measure and move the cue ball out an inch or two in instances like that in those tournaments?

:)

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
LMFAO! It was a great experience. I heard "your'e a chickenshit"! But what he really meant was "Hey young man, that was a perfectly executed safety, continue to play like that and i may see you on the FargoRate top 100 list sometime"

Sounds more like he may be used to "bar rules" and comes from that bar scene culture where he still erroneously believes that most or all safeties are chickesh!t. That or he thought your offensive opportunity was just as high a percentage as your defensive opportunity and believes you made the wrong shot choice out of fear but I'm guessing it was the former.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way you describe it, he was really mad.

I'm surprised he didn't sic his seeing-eye dog on you.

:)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Being called "Chickenshit?"
Any time I play defense. It's also called several other things that have derogatory connotations.
I'll just usually thank them for the match, unless they really piss me off, then I ask who their next match is against..... DOOOOUGH! I forgot, you lost.....

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

hhahh!

It is pretty easy and more fun than a box of squrriels to mentally frustrate bar players

"Spacies" ? done only in the best billiard establishments

now thats funny, i like it!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing and older gentleman in his 70's for the hotseat in a local 8 ball tournament tuesday night. He shot really well and i was ahead 2-1 in a race to 3. I broke and ran to my last ball which was tied up to his ball. I thinned my ball out and spun the cueball and stuck him between his ball and the rail. He attempted to play a goofy combination and missed and i ran out. After the match he came up and shook my hand and said "I dont agree with that chickenshit shot you took" To which i replied "Im sorry sir but i have to win anyway that i can" He then jerked his hand back and angrily yelled "youre a chickenshit" and walked away. I couldnt help but laugh about it. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to hustle the local weekly 8 ball tournament at the senior center and ran into that sort of stuff frequently. The ladies used to cook food and bring it though so it was worth it.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this type of response.

"OH, I know" <nod head with wide eyes> "The other day I was watching a basketball game. A guy went up for a winning shot and someone jumped up and blocked it. Can you believe that shit?"

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who knows, maybe Rhea will start a thread about you some day

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your opponent sounds like someone who has never understood that's why it's called gambling. A typical 'pool room detective'...they're in every Moose Lodge, VFW, and American Legion in the country.
It's usually the other way around for me.
Those young red hots, showing off for the girls, go berserk when I keep throwing those safes on them until they foul up and I can run out on 'em.
However, when they dog the money ball and get a great roll where you're frozen on one of your balls and can't play anything to keep them off a clean shot at that 8 once again...........THEN, of course, they beam with delight.
They never call themselves "lucky chickenshits".
That's just a poolroom, man....hasn't changed in decades. Never will, I guess.
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
that is bar etiquette shoot to make your ball every shot.. same as when they play no slop and call all kisses and rails you touch. you have to realize that is how they always have played.

50 years back even gambling in pool rooms it was common to shoot for your ball and not play safe in many games.

best when playing bar players you tell them first you play safes and play to win.