Regarding tips, if you had to choose one of these, which one and why?

asiasdad

Banned
If I were buying a new cue and those were my only options, I would take the ultra skin medium.

But I wouldn't replace a tip with any of the above.

what he said, or I would ask for the cue to be shipped with no
tip at all and put a Thoroughbred MH that taps out at 73 on it.

DOA

Registered
Kamui soft but the brown doesn't glaze over like the black, like the brown much, much better.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are both very similar but Kamui with better quality in leather.

I personally do not like black tips as they are imo dyed leather and they all have this elastic feel compared to brown or natural color tips.

But if I have to choose among the two brands I would say Ultraskin last longer but they are a hit and miss. Not every piece hits good. Kamui are more consistent, they do not last as long as Ultraskin as Ultraskin is somehow thicker. And as for hardness it really depends on your cue.

For example, if I can only choose between the tips you mention. I would have picked Medium or Hard Ultraskin for my SW or Kamui Medium for my SW.

But if it's my Tascarella or Gina cues, as they're ivory ferrules. I'll use Ultraskin VS or Kamui SS or S for them. As ivory ferrules are crispier.

My suggestion to your question is.. just give the Ultraskin and trial and error so you know if your cue needs a harder tip or softer tip. Then if you want better quality, buy the Kamui. But Kamui has more elasticity than the Ultraskin. Ultraskin feels more solid imo. That's my personal opinion. Everyone differs..

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never tried the ultra skin tips, I do like the Kamui Black Soft but they play well for a few months then tend to harden to a medium feel. The clears play a bit harder due to the pad. The Kamui Browns are nice, the one I have seems to keep it's hardness rating for longer than the Black.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I went with the Ultra Medium (free with shaft) and have placed the shaft order.

Thus begins my 61" custom cue build.

Stage one is complete!

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are you getting rid of the milkdud?

Sent from my SM-C710F using Tapatalk

1. It hit harder than I liked.

2. It didn't hold the chalk as well as my Ultra-skin soft do.

3. I had Ultra-skin tips on hand and ran out of Milk Duds.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll second that last sentence. I just removed an Ultra Skin Very Soft. It had compacted so much after just one week I had to use a Lennox Titanium razor blade along with a dead blow hammer to remove it. It will now be a break tip! Not picking on US only. I've had Kamui SS tips do the same. These SS and Very Soft tips may start out that way, but after a short period of time they tend to harden way too much. If anyone knows of a soft (?) tip that will maintain that degree of softness for more than a month, please post it so that I can stop wasting money. Thanks.

They cost about $20, but he G2 Soft tips play very well and stay soft longer than a lot of the others.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd go with Ultraskin Medium. I've been using these on my shafts for the past few years and have been satisfied.

I tried a Kamui once and it seemed to crunch down and change hardness very fast. All tips do to some extent but this one seemed excessive. I wouldn't say I hated the tip but it wasn't worth the price.

Just pick a cheap tip, figure out which hardness you prefer, and stick with it. I don't understand how people get so picky over a damn tip...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't understand how people get so picky over a damn tip...

Add me to that list also. I just throw a Triangle on my cues now and commence to shooting pool. I will never again spend $20 on a tiny piece(s) of leather....and I could plenty afford to if I chose to.

Maniac

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd go with Ultraskin Medium. I've been using these on my shafts for the past few years and have been satisfied.

I tried a Kamui once and it seemed to crunch down and change hardness very fast. All tips do to some extent but this one seemed excessive. I wouldn't say I hated the tip but it wasn't worth the price.

Just pick a cheap tip, figure out which hardness you prefer, and stick with it. I don't understand how people get so picky over a damn tip...
That's the tip I chose. I ordered the shaft early this morning. I'm looking forward to getting the cube once Schmelke finishes making it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need a 3rd category.......Kamui Black Clear.....in a soft hardness.........some will write
saying they don't care for it but it's the tip that's on almost all my cues, except for two.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to be the ULTRA med I haven't liked the black kamui tips. Love the brown med kamui. But might have to try something new next time.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, this is what I went with.

You happened to pick a good middle ground.
The UltraSkin medium hardness is actually on par with the Kamui Black soft.

I have played with and installed many of both and my input is that it really doesn't matter. However....
Confidence is a key factor and if I play with a $5 tip or a $20 tip, I am confident the tip is doing what I need from it consistently.

All tips compress and get harder over time; this includes mediums. However, starting with a hard tip takes a stroke everyone simply doesn't have. That said, I replace my (soft) tips due to feel/hardness long before someone would consider them worn or low.
Personally, I also used Kamui tips when they were all the rage but I switched to Ultraskin when I was given one in lieu of a tip installation fee... I now use UltraSkin with confidence.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
FsfzQnW.jpg

Given your choices I'd go with the Ultra Skin Medium.

I wouldn't put any on your list on my cues though.

I like pressed triangles.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given your choices I'd go with the Ultra Skin Medium.

I wouldn't put any on your list on my cues though.

I like pressed triangles.
Well I already made my decision but it sounds like a lot of people are picking the same one that I chose. And it was the ultra skin medium.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You happened to pick a good middle ground.
The UltraSkin medium hardness is actually on par with the Kamui Black soft.

I have played with and installed many of both and my input is that it really doesn't matter. However....
Confidence is a key factor and if I play with a $5 tip or a $20 tip, I am confident the tip is doing what I need from it consistently.

All tips compress and get harder over time; this includes mediums. However, starting with a hard tip takes a stroke everyone simply doesn't have. That said, I replace my (soft) tips due to feel/hardness long before someone would consider them worn or low.
Personally, I also used Kamui tips when they were all the rage but I switched to Ultraskin when I was given one in lieu of a tip installation fee... I now use UltraSkin with confidence.
Thank you for reassuring me that I picked the right one.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Well I already made my decision but it sounds like a lot of people are picking the same one that I chose. And it was the ultra skin medium.

whats good for alot of people isnt right for everyone

bud light is drank by ALOT of people,BUT
so-thats-how-they-make-bud-light-26794628.png