Ball polisher

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Are you implying that there is more friction on the sides of the balls instead of where the balls actually meet the pad???
What kind of Shit is that?
What you are saying is that, there is less friction at this point, the point of contact??
You do understand that the weight of the balls on the pad will create the most friction.
That is why I show the temp on the top and sides.
Is there an EXACT spot you like me to show the temp so I can help you try to prove your "theory". I would do that for you.......
Do you think a 1/4 or 1/2 inch away is going to make the temp jump to a ball melting temp?
What a joke!

I never said friction does not cause an increase in temp.
Your statement was that the balls will heat up. This I do not dispute this.
However, you were trying to make it sound as if it would heat up so much it would melt the balls.
I ask again, how much will they heat up ????

According to you, this will never happen!
Your post above says that, that is not where "the heat-friction" is.

Bottom line is, you are trying to sound like you know what your talking about.
I've got news for you.......I'm not impressed!

Do you wear your big red nose all the time or only when you are on AZ.
Clown!

I guess you're just to smart for me:rolleyes:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Are you implying that there is more friction on the sides of the balls instead of where the balls actually meet the pad???
What you are saying is that, there is less friction at this point, the point of contact??
You do understand that the weight of the balls on the pad will create the most friction.
Is there an EXACT spot you like me to show the temp so I can help you try to prove your "theory". I would do that for you.......
Do you think a 1/4 or 1/2 inch away is going to make the temp jump to a ball melting temp?
What a joke!

However, you were trying to make it sound as if it would heat up so much it would melt the balls.

Clown!

You're not educated enough to understand what I'm saying.....so, I'll just throw you some peanuts instead:rolleyes:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If diamond could sell buckets for 600 then they would be the best.

I'm proud to be a bucket head. Royobi 30 dollar 10 inch random orbital buffer, line the bucket with indoor outdoor carpet, Aramith cleaner...and have 500 extra dollars to gamble with....I got heads.

Somebody needs to run a challenge where someone blindly has to say which cleaner cleaned which balls...I'll bet my house even RKC can't reliably say which was used.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rkc is widely known as the best table mechanic in the country and designed what is also believed to be the best ball cleaner in production so I would say his credentials and experience on the subject our on his side. You have 10 posts.. chill out lol

What a joke!

Clown!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm proud to be a bucket head. Royobi 30 dollar 10 inch random orbital buffer, line the bucket with indoor outdoor carpet, Aramith cleaner...and have 500 extra dollars to gamble with....I got heads.

Somebody needs to run a challenge where someone blindly has to say which cleaner cleaned which balls...I'll bet my house even RKC can't reliably say which was used.

i would agree my bucket polisher does a great job for home use. If I needed it in a commercial setting the diamond polisher would be purchased for sure. I just don't need to spend that kind of money for my home.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would agree my bucket polisher does a great job for home use. If I needed it in a commercial setting the diamond polisher would be purchased for sure. I just don't need to spend that kind of money for my home.

Smart man.

I thought the Dominguez ' s were the best...read that somewhere.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think there is much more to a ball "polisher" or "restorer" or "cleaner" type machine than just how the ball surfaces looks to the naked eye when finished.

There is no doubt that when using any machine that while "polishing", and the balls are constantly abrading (the key word here) that those balls are being worn away. To the naked eye? No way. Over a month. Sure. How much? Infinitesimally small. But over the life of those precious (and expensive) balls. Wow. Not the point though -- the point is they are definitely wearing. From the constant ball collisions. Compared to a properly designed ball cleaning machine where the balls have zero contact with each other during the time they are whirling about.

So if members want to save big money on a ball polishing machine, two choices really. IMHO

1) keep your proudly built bucket and buffer machine and make a carpeted tic/tac/toe divider of some sort to keep your balls apart - many possibilities here.

2) accept the fact your balls are wearing out significantly faster due to the way you have chosen to care for them.

Not arguing. Not saying one is "better" than the other. Each player to their own.

What's the parting point?

Knowing what you got.

K

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is much more to a ball "polisher" or "restorer" or "cleaner" type machine than just how the ball surfaces looks to the naked eye when finished.

There is no doubt that when using any machine that while "polishing", and the balls are constantly abrading (the key word here) that those balls are being worn away. To the naked eye? No way. Over a month. Sure. How much? Infinitesimally small. But over the life of those precious (and expensive) balls. Wow. Not the point though -- the point is they are definitely wearing. From the constant ball collisions. Compared to a properly designed ball cleaning machine where the balls have zero contact with each other during the time they are whirling about.

So if members want to save big money on a ball polishing machine, two choices really. IMHO

1) keep your proudly built bucket and buffer machine and make a carpeted tic/tac/toe divider of some sort to keep your balls apart - many possibilities here.

2) accept the fact your balls are wearing out significantly faster due to the way you have chosen to care for them.

Not arguing. Not saying one is "better" than the other. Each player to their own.

What's the parting point?

Knowing what you got.

K

So you are sayin my balls are tiny?
You sir see the one who's out of line.

BTW if the balls are seperate in the bucket then there is no difference. It's very simple to do with MDF and a hole saw....

I can buy 3 sets of balls with the money I'm saving....

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here, still using the original big pad! (I use it about once a week for one set of balls). Love loading all 16 at once! FYI

i bought a bludworth 5=6 years ago when bludworth still owned the company
it has worked great
no problems with it

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are sayin my balls are tiny?

You sir see the one who's out of line.

BTW if the balls are seperate in the bucket then there is no difference. It's very simple to do with MDF and a hole saw....

I can buy 3 sets of balls with the money I'm saving....

Not sure how you missed the part of my respectful post where I mentioned if using the bucket method, a simple homemade divider would solve the friction and wear issues - like you mentioned.

I'm sure it works fine. I was sharing a solution - not an argument. Enjoy the money savings

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how you missed the part of my respectful post where I mentioned if using the bucket method, a simple homemade divider would solve the friction and wear issues - like you mentioned.

I'm sure it works fine. I was sharing a solution - not an argument. Enjoy the money savings
Just screwing with ya.....this thread should have died a few pages back...nothing to see here.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And now for my boy Dan,

I went back and read my post to see if I said something "defensive" and can't understand where you come up with that.

Anyway, I am only stating facts, unlike you & the snake stating your "theories".....
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate feedback.

Once again, I am not competing with any other cleaner.
This is an alternative to spending big money on the big machines.

My shit works and it works well.

OK let's start over. My comments were not theories, they were based on my observations with my Bludworth machine.

I looked at your two videos of the balls spinning (one with the temperature measurement) and by my observation the balls are rocking back and forth nicely so that you won't have a smudge spot on the axis like I was mentioning before. (I'm viewing this on a nice large screen at home rather than on a smart phone.) The 3 ball is the only one that looks like maybe it didn't rotate much, but if there is no smudge then no problem!

If I were to purchase a commercial ball cleaner I would ASSUME that they researched RPM and pad material and so on so that there wouldn't be any damage done to the balls. With a homemade version like yours, I do not know what research you've done to assure it is safe for the balls. I mean, for instance, the white Scotch scrub pads are non-abrasive while the green ones are abrasive. They contain a small amount of pumice in them. I'm not suggesting you are using these materials, I'm just saying that there is more to engineering a good, safe product than some people might realize.

I mentioned your high RPM because I tried something (stupid) on my Bludworth machine. While the balls were spinning, I put my fingers on top of the 15 ball so that it would not turn while the pad under it was spinning. I did that for maybe 5 seconds. It turns out that it made a light brown crescent shaped burn mark on the ball. I don't know if that was the cleaner burning or the ball itself, but there was enough friction to cause a problem quickly. I think that spot has mostly faded away by now.

So I think your machine is beautifully made and rocks the balls in place so that you won't have any issue like I was mentioning. The only other question is about cloth choices and things like that. Again, based on how well it is constructed, I bet that you did research all this stuff. If I was going to start selling them I'd make sure my customers knew that I put time in to research the right materials, RPM etc.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Find Robert ingold
Hes on fabebook

He makes a great cleaner
In the 200+ dollar range

Can make a double platter cleaner to clean all the balance
He makes them with individual holes so they don't rub against each other, can add a timer

Not a slop bucket that has the balls grinding against each other,

It's a well made great working machine
Message me if you need his number

I took "beneath_the_sur" recommendation and bought an 8 ball polisher (similar to the one from Diamond) from Robert and received it today. It really works well, so much better then the bucket polisher I was using and never happy with. For $200 plus shipping it was a great purchase. Not as nicely finished as the higher priced models, but every bit as effective.

Thanks Robert! I will donate my bucket to the senior center or a youth group here in town.

Dave

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took "beneath_the_sur" recommendation and bought an 8 ball polisher (similar to the one from Diamond) from Robert and received it today. It really works well, so much better then the bucket polisher I was using and never happy with. For $200 plus shipping it was a great purchase. Not as nicely finished as the higher priced models, but every bit as effective.

Thanks Robert! I will donate my bucket to the senior center or a youth group here in town.

Dave

Would you be able to post a pic for us to take a look at, sir, when you have a chance? Thank you!

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would you be able to post a pic for us to take a look at, sir, when you have a chance? Thank you!

Post #11 of this thread shows a picture of the billiard ball version. Mine is the same but w/8 pool ball holes similar to Diamonds. I hope that helps.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that 6-ball carom polisher unit. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw that 6-ball carom polisher unit. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's mine before it shipped during testing.

Attachments

• Robert's Polisher Original.jpg
    Robert's Polisher Original.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 248

Katipunan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond Ball Cleaner

The best! Got lucky...$200 for the used Ball Cleaner from the local poolhall, $75 for the replacement carpet, another $7 for the Meguiar's Quik Detailer. Broke down the ball cleaner to do some preventive maintenance...this thing is built to last a very long time. Well worth it!!!