Racking Controversy at the US Open 2016

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Nope, the last game of the 2016 US Open had the 9-ball going straight in the bottom left corner pocket untouched. I honestly have never seen such a thing with a magic rack but it's not very hard to do when racking by hand, not sure who was racking/checking the racks but I believe there was a slight miscalculation about the "temperature" of that rack...not everything was frozen ha ha.

Edit: I'm very much mistaken, it wasn't the last rack of the Open but the last rack of a huge match I believe SVB was winning 10-9 in a race to 11 when the 9-ball went in on the break. Sorry.

Neil

Last edited:

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an idea....

Why not just have a rack made (similar to a MAGIC RACK) BUT made with a slight change. Have the area where all the balls sit elevated slightly BUT where all the balls ALL rest against each other....

then No-one can complain about racking issues as the rack will stop them... MUST be approved by all the Pool Asso's... or it won't work... (I know having people agree is like walking across the ocean... lol )

Otherwise, tell all the pro players they need to be quiet or drop out of tournament... lol... Seems that no matter what is done... "someone" will NOT be happy or satisfied...
& Lastly, maybe ALL the pro players need to get together as a group & accually decide or VOTE on how they think it should go or what is the main issues.... Majority RULES!!!
Enough of this cry baby stuff!!! haha

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
no doubt !

ding ding ding~

Hey everyone, glad to see my post was of interest to a few people. Sorry for any inaccuracies. I've been posting on Reddit lately because I enjoy that site in general, and the billiards community is tiny and fairly well-behaved and respectful. There's not much moderation but also not much need for it.

I still hop on AZ every so often, but after trying several times over the years I usually end up with kind of a sour taste at the... I dunno... "vibe" of the forum.

Anyway, good to see y'all again. Loved watching a bit of the Open this year on the stream (once they fixed it). Hope to make the next one in person.

SQB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was pretty annoying to see that the used rack in most games I watched was changed many times because the players were unable to get the rack tight.

Although it was mentioned, that all players would love the rack... I doubt that!

I have never had such problems ever with new or slightly used magic ball racks.

Also the whole racking and checking procedure to me, was very viewer unfriendly...

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
It was pretty annoying to see that the used rack in most games I watched was changed many times because the players were unable to get the rack tight.

Although it was mentioned, that all players would love the rack... I doubt that!

I have never had such problems ever with new or slightly used magic ball racks.

Also the whole racking and checking procedure to me, was very viewer unfriendly...

I think the problem wasn't the template (Though they tried to solve it that way)... the problem is with racking 9 on the spot.

If you rack the normal way in 9 ball, and there's a dent on the spot, the 1 rolls off. But that's not a huge problem, you just push the rest of the balls upward until they touch the 1. That lets you get a tight rack even though there's a big dent in the table.

But if you rack 9 on the spot, and there's a dent... now instead of just pushing the whole rack upward and getting 2 balls to touch the "problem ball"... now you must get 8 balls to touch the problem ball, and they cannot just be moved in one direction. That seems like a much more difficult problem to solve.

I guess the solution would be brand new cloth (no dents) but then every complains the tables play strangely, too fast and "slidey".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the problem wasn't the template (Though they tried to solve it that way)... the problem is with racking 9 on the spot. ...

I think the cloth was new on the TV table and there was no sticker or dent at the footspot, but I could be wrong.