US Open payouts............

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Paying out to half the field (128 of 256 will cash) doesn't work for me.

Paying the 97/128 finishers 750 each uses up 24,000 of prize money, so there's less money than there should be for the high finishers.

Pool tourneys shouldn't pay more than 40% of the field, which in this case is 102 players. Paying down to 65/96 would have been best here.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Paying the 97/128 finishers 750 each uses up 24,000 of prize money, so there's less money than there should be for the high finishers.

Pool tourneys shouldn't pay more than 40% of the field, which in this case is 102 players. Paying down to 65/96 would have been best here.

I agree. That way they could have paid the losing semi-finalists 15,000, the losing quarter finalists 7,500 and the losers in the round of sixteen 5,000 each!
There's still 1,000 left over, which would go to me of course! :cool:
Or they could add it to the next spot and pump that up to 2,875.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
At the Rivera each year, the BCA payouts were 40%. They figured once you made it to the big dance, getting a little was better than nothing in Vegas. Keeps the player base properly chummed, wanting to come back the next year and do even better. Many good teams that played every year did well at least ''one time'', and felt they could of won it!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those not on FB, here's the payouts.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 873

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dang are y'all playing in it , going to it ? I'm there the 20th -May 6th Supercross finale but I'll be out and around if y'all get knocked out PM me I'll play some ! Good luck hope y'all get in the money and or have fun !

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those not on FB, here's the payouts.

Those payouts look good to me .... I've been on the waiting list for 1 and a half months so we will see . In it or not I'm there and gonna have a blast my first big tournament in 30 years !!!! Send it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang are y'all playing in it , going to it ? I'm there the 20th -May 6th Supercross finale but I'll be out and around if y'all get knocked out PM me I'll play some ! Good luck hope y'all get in the money and or have fun !
If Griff's is packed go to Mickey's Cue-n-Brew. Lots of Gold Crowns and a cool kinda old-school vibe.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They’re paying more to the winner ($50k vs. $40k last time) and to 2nd place ($25k vs. $24k).

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Interesting. I was wondering the same thing. Most of the lofty $300,000 purse comes from the entry fees ($256,000!). There is only $44,000 in added money, not so lofty after all. Mike Panozzo speaks of the added production costs, due to television (no information on that so far?) and staging costs. He seems optimistic that this will only affect this years U.S. Open. But that cost will not be reduced in year two either. It will still be just as great an expense to produce this event in year two and onward. Those "production" costs are not going to go down or miraculously disappear.

Initially this year's Open was billed as a $300,000 tournament with only 128 entries at $1,000 each. That would have resulted in a $172,000 Added event! By adding another 128 players, now it becomes a $44,000 Added tournament. Pretty disappointing I'm sure for many of the players who thought they were going to be playing in a 400K+ tournament. Such is Pool, but disappointing nonetheless when a revered name like Matchroom uses such tactics to defray the costs associated with an event.

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was never a limit of 128 players, it was a 300K guaranteed tourney. It's funny how people can always find something to complain about.

Who would have the balls to guarantee an 300K payout? It's way more risky than guarantee a fix added money. What happens if only 100 players sign up?

Interesting. I was wondering the same thing. Most of the lofty $300,000 purse comes from the entry fees ($256,000!). There is only $44,000 in added money, not so lofty after all. Mike Panozzo speaks of the added production costs, due to television (no information on that so far?) and staging costs. He seems optimistic that this will only affect this years U.S. Open. But that cost will not be reduced in year two either. It will still be just as great an expense to produce this event in year two and onward. Those "production" costs are not going to go down or miraculously disappear.

Initially this year's Open was billed as a $300,000 tournament with only 128 entries at $1,000 each. That would have resulted in a $172,000 Added event! By adding another 128 players, now it becomes a $44,000 Added tournament. Pretty disappointing I'm sure for many of the players who thought they were going to be playing in a 400K+ tournament. Such is Pool, but disappointing nonetheless when a revered name like Matchroom uses such tactics to defray the costs associated with an event.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it even acceptable/expected that the pay outs are only revealed a little over 2 weeks before the event begins?! :rolleyes:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay,

What are the chances some of the initial costs are for capital purchases? Therefore, the costs will go down next year? Or are they simply paying someone to run the production and therefore no capital expenditures?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is a little more added, given that the past winners are being given free entry. But I would have hoped for more added money.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In case others can’t read this:

TAKING A MULLIGAN
By Mike Panozzo, Billiards Digest

Matchroom’s acquisition of the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships was met with great joy by the pool community. Bold plans and grandiose promises heralded a bright future for America’s oldest and most significant major pool tournament. A guaranteed purse of $300,000 for the 2019 event was announced when entries opened to 128 players. The response from players around the globe was so swift, despite the $1,000 entry fee, that the field was opened and quickly grew to 175, then 200 and finally to 256. More than 100 players asked that their names be placed on a waiting list.
Not unreasonably, most players assumed that since the number of entries doubled, the prize fund would also jump. Simple math shows that a $300,000 guaranteed purse with $128,000 in entry fees equals $172,000 in added money. With 256 players, that $172,000 would bring the total prize fund to $428,000. Makes sense. Even if Matchroom only added $100,000, some rationalized, the purse would still be $356,000.
So, imagine the players’ surprise when Matchroom quietly posted the prize list on its website yesterday, indicating that the total prize fund would remain at its originally announced $300,000. Just $44,000 added to the U.S. Open? Heck, Barry Behrman’s U.S. Opens routinely featured $50,000 added. Some players expressed disbelief. A few others were flat out angry. What happened to all of those big promises? This is a Matchroom production, right?
Of course, everything is not quite as simple and clear cut as it seems.
“The cost of this event is staggering,” Matchroom Multi Sport COO Emily Frazer said, when asked about the prize fund surprise.
It seems money that might have been added to the prize fund was gobbled up in staging and production costs.
Honestly, I understand both sides of this. The players have every right to be disappointed in the prize fund. And Matchroom has every right to spend its money where it sees fit in the production of an event.
In an effort to get each side to understand the other’s concerns, I offer the following comments:
To Matchroom — A $300,000 event doesn’t impress players if the entry fees account for 85 percent of the purse. Players are travelling from all over the globe, at great expense, because you have a pristine reputation and you’ve gone to great lengths to tout your takeover of the U.S. Open as game-changing. They are coming because it says “Matchroom.” These players are paying a $1,000 entry fee, at least that much to get to Las Vegas, $200 a night for lodging, $6 for a bottle of water and will be prisoners in the arena at Mandalay Bay because the field needs to be trimmed from 256 to 16 in three days. And obviously, going from 128 to 256 players with no increase in prize fund has an adverse effect on the prize distribution. So, don’t blame the players if they feel somewhat disrespected. Staging and production costs are astronomical? I get it. But the players did not demand that the event be at the price-gouging Mandalay Bay, yet they have been punished.
Beyond that, the World Cup of Pool ($250,000) and World Pool Masters ($100,000) are 100 percent added money (invitationals with no entry fee). The U.S. Open’s $44,000 in added money makes it the fourth largest added-money pro tournament of 2019 — the World 10-Ball Championship ($100k), the WPA Player Championships ($50k) and the International 9-Ball Open ($50K). This U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships qualifies as the lowest tier WPA points event. That’s not Matchroom. Matchroom sets the bar, it doesn’t limbo under it.
To the Players and Fans — If anyone in this industry deserves the benefit of the doubt, and the gift of a mulligan, it’s Matchroom. If they can be faulted at all in this matter it is in focusing so hard on taking the event itself to the next level. “We’re going to take this event and make it mainstream,” was Matchroom founder Barry Hearn’s message when he announced the company’s acquisition of the U.S. Open.
That doesn’t mean simply posting a huge prize fund. That means creating a must-see event that has people buzzing. I get that too and creating that perception costs money. Look no further than the Mosconi Cup, pool’s only true must-see event. Matchroom took an event that was already successful and ramped it up another level in 2018. That gamble didn’t come cheap, but it paid off. The result? The players will benefit next year with double the prize money. From the sound of it, staging and production plans for the U.S. Open are every bit as bold.
And that is what players and fans should understand and accept this year. Give Matchroom a prize fund pass in April and let them focus on making the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships the Mosconi Cup of open tournaments. The impact will be long-lasting and the reward to the players is certain to follow.