My pool lesson with Darren "DynoMite" Appleton

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only two complaints were that his shirt was wrinkled and how in the first segment the camera wouldn't stay still. It just kept switching every. 5 seconds

Despite that it's a great video and worth at least double.
smart money says the behind the scenes people were drunk.

Does the vid come with subtitles? That guy talks real funny like.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Yeah, I was confused when he said to hit the shot with an eyeball (=high ball?)

usakr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren is definitely a deeply thoughtful and intelligent person. He knows much about how to impart his acquired knowledge to others and help them learn.

In his earlier years of playing onepocket he seeked out SJDinPHX and traveled to Arizona to receive advanced lessons in the game from one of the best ever. Of course, it probably took him longer than three weeks to learn the game :).

He's come a long way in the game and is always fun to watch.

ONB

Might be a silly question but I've been out of the pool scene about 12 yrs. Is SJDin PHX a good player?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Cleary,
Are the perfect practice DVD's for sale yet ? If not when do you expect them to be avail.
Thank you,

Was the DVD ever released for this?

DOWNLOAD IS @ http://vimeo.com/ondemand/17108

DVD IS @: "If you are in Vegas for the BCAPL Nationals DVD's of Perfect Practice with Darren Appleton presented by Predator Cues are now available in the main tournament room at the Kamui booth and in the mini-tournament room at the Bad Boys booth. Price is $20. Darren is happy to autograph them for anyone who wants it just catch him at the pro instructional tables during his hour of instruction."
JoeyA

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Cleary,
Are the perfect practice DVD's for sale yet ? If not when do you expect them to be avail.
Thank you,

The DVDs were delayed a few days but they are done and for sale. Right now, we have them in vegas at the BCAPL at the kamui booth and badboys booth. After that show is done, Justin will be selling them through the TAR website.

dynamite

Gold Member
thanks for the feed back everyone… hope you all get something from the video..

i only really use a aiming system for rail shots everything else is mostly feel and muscle memory…

also i available for group coaching in a pool room over 3 days 10-20 students….

if interested inbox

thanks again

darren

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have watched this twice now. It is excellent. The drills are perfect and I have been following them since and they have improved my match play.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren is one of my favorite players. After watching many of the older Mosconi cup matches on YouTube last summer, I really admired many things about his setup and stroke. I loved watching Neils and Chris Melling as well, with their great mechanics and flowing strokes, but something about Darren's approach just stuck with me.

I was unhappy with my game last summer, so I went back to basics, filmed myself a lot, starting doing drills again, etc. I also adapted certain things to be a little more "Darren-like". I wasn't trying to copy him, just take a few of the things I saw him doing and incorporate them into my game.

I can happily say that my game jumped up a notch or two, I was already an "A" player but my consistency and confidence skyrocketed just by making a few minor changes - using an open bridge more, setting up a bit more open, and using my same length bridge but a shorter yet smooth backstroke like Darren does.

Oddly enough, right after that I was getting my hair cut and somehow pool came up and my hairdresser is friends with Darren! I sent him a message and received one back, would certainly hope to meet him and/or take a lesson if we are ever in the same area.

Thanks for the review Joey, will definitely check this out when I get a chance, next best thing to being there in person.
Scott

JoeyA

Silver Member
Darren is one of my favorite players. After watching many of the older Mosconi cup matches on YouTube last summer, I really admired many things about his setup and stroke. I loved watching Neils and Chris Melling as well, with their great mechanics and flowing strokes, but something about Darren's approach just stuck with me.

I was unhappy with my game last summer, so I went back to basics, filmed myself a lot, starting doing drills again, etc. I also adapted certain things to be a little more "Darren-like". I wasn't trying to copy him, just take a few of the things I saw him doing and incorporate them into my game.

I can happily say that my game jumped up a notch or two, I was already an "A" player but my consistency and confidence skyrocketed just by making a few minor changes - using an open bridge more, setting up a bit more open, and using my same length bridge but a shorter yet smooth backstroke like Darren does.

Oddly enough, right after that I was getting my hair cut and somehow pool came up and my hairdresser is friends with Darren! I sent him a message and received one back, would certainly hope to meet him and/or take a lesson if we are ever in the same area.

Thanks for the review Joey, will definitely check this out when I get a chance, next best thing to being there in person.
Scott

That's great to hear Scott. I KNOW you will enjoy this one.

My game has picked up another notch after watching this video and doing the drills. Time for another viewing and some more drills. :D (Shhhh, don't tell too many people) :wink:

On the Cross-Roads Drill Darren mentions "twisting his wrist". I wonder if he will elaborate on that in the future when he has a chance. I guess I'm just wondering if when he uses side spin if he does in fact, twist his wrist and why. MANY pros and some professional instructors suggest that twisting the wrist is something that some of them use when needed. I like the way Darren explains precisely where he is hitting the cue ball on each shot. You can tell there isn't much choreography as he explains his position and what he has to do to get back in line etc.
JoeyA

Last edited:

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott

Knew Darren from the E8B circuit very well. He stayed at my house once about 10 years ago. Him and Chris Melling - they were down to watch the Darts at Lakeside (E8B and Darts both being sponsored by Embassy at the time).

He is one of the best and most consistent ball strikers I have ever seen - any discipline..

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be a silly question but I've been out of the pool scene about 12 yrs. Is SJDin PHX a good player?
One of the best. Google San Jose Dick (Richard Macmorran). To be honest, I don't know how much he plays nowadays- must be almost 80

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
DVD is now shipping in the U.S. just click on the graphic below to go the TAR site and order.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Of those of you who have purchased the video, how many of you have put in at least 5 hours of practice (total) with the drills that Darren suggests and demonstrates and have you noticed an improvement in your game?

JoeyA

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
I paid up and watched it. Pretty good stuff.

What I found most interesting is that Darren talked about aiming exactly, umm, let's see, zero times. An hour and a half of drilling shots without a miss, and not one mention of "this is how I aim" or "this is how I adjust for English and deflection." He simply got down over the shot, applied whatever speed and spin necessary for shape, and ran out like water.

I could be wrong, but it fits with my understanding that aiming becomes completely subconscious at the elite levels, and that the angle is just seen/felt and the brain leads the eyes and body to the correct line.
YOU ARE 100% about the aiming. A top shooter NEVER - EVER AIMS Absurd to think so.