Putnam and Bryant no-show World Championship

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
What is interesting to this reader is how some are so quick to come to a conclusion, without knowing all the facts. You're right on the money again, KoolKat9lives. :smile:

Of course, most know there's only two, maybe three American male pros who are sponsored with funds. All others are sponsored with product. It's a little difficult to fly to Philippines, hang out for a week, on product, if you know what I mean.

Whatever the reasons are for the no-show, it's a matter that is between the players and the governing body of American professional pool for the men.

Oh, wait. That's right. The American men have no governing body anymore. The BCA is going bankrupt, and the WPA is the world governing body.

Pool is cool, but pool players gotta eat too. There is no empathy on this forum for professional players, at least from what I have read. That may be the reason why some pro players choose not to post on pool forums. Who wants to have their life on public display, personal things debated about their private matters?

There's a couple brave souls who test the waters here. God bless 'em. :smile:
JAM, you are correct. I am going to let Hillbilly explain his own situation but your comments about trying to get over there with product only is touch. CSI Sponsor the team players in the US events only right now so if anyof them decide to go to international events its on them financially. People like Hillbilly are out there attending just about every event paying their dues and sometimes this can become very expensive. We all know that the prize money in pool is not the greatest so all it takes is a couple of bad tourneys (we all have em) and you are out some $$$. Put that along side possibly having a family that you are also trying to support and you can find yourself in a real spot. I am not saying that Shawn or Hillbilly made the right choices here in letting whoever know that they would not be able to make it but I guess I could possibly see the reasons that thye couldn't and I am sure there are more.

I know Hillbilly does not operate like this and this whole thing is unusual. I know he would not purposly not tell who ever to say F U. In my personal opinion, again MY opinion only. I believe he had every intention of going the the WTB. He may have realized a little too late that with all his other responsibilities in life that he just had to put his family first instead of spending the $$ to go. I hope things get better in the pool world for player.,

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Good Move

I am truely sorry about the misunderstanding and I hated to put you in the middle of this !
You are right. We should have notified Jerry earlier !
It is my fault and I accept the 2 year ban as my punishment !
Can you guys please forgive me ? (All My Fans )

Way to accept responsibility. All is good.

This community has helped several players go to tournaments when they needed help. Getting you and Charlie to this tournament would have been a cause I would have contributed to, and I believe others here feel the same way.

It is sad that American players are not in the position to easily compete in the World Championships of an American game. Something needs to be done.

Still a fan.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Way to accept responsibility. All is good.

This community has helped several players go to tournaments when they needed help. Getting you and Charlie to this tournament would have been a cause I would have contributed to, and I believe others here feel the same way.

It is sad that American players are not in the position to easily compete in the World Championships of an American game. Something needs to be done.

Still a fan.

I'm still a fan too, and I get that pool economics suck and decisions to travel afar don't come easily. But Shawn ...

Why wasn't notification to cancel taken more seriously? :confused:

Mrs. Hillbilly

Registered
I am so glad that I am forced, once again, to take time out to explain Charlie's situation to a bunch of jealous haters.

For the record, Charlie and Shawn both informed someone that they would not be attending the World Championships while they were in Florida at the Seminole/Mizerak Tournament, but because I do not point fingers, I will not name any names and we ARE taking responsibility for the mis-communication. (Charlie will be posting a formal appology and explination in the main forum)

Furthermore, I WILL NOT discuss our personal lives or expose my family to a bunch of strangers so you will just have to take my word for it when I say that we have issues going on here at home that prevented Charlie from attending the tournament. As I stated previously, he DID inform someone and decided to accept the consequences but as a mob, you guys are way too quick to judge these players on situations you know nothing about.

There are a couple players on the pro list that I have personally overheard talkiing about announcing a formal retirement. These decisions stem from financial roots and are made worse when they are continuously bashed by the general public, who incidently, has no idea what it is like for them. I DARE ANY ONE OF YOU TO WALK IN THEIR SHOES! Trust me when I say that 99.9% of you would never make it.

When the BCA took over the standings, it pushed several players down below where they were supposed to be seated. It took Charlie a year and attendance at several tournaments (that we couldn't always afford for him to go to) in order to fight his way back to a position where he would be invited to the World Championships. Why would he fight so hard if he did not want to go? There were extenuating circumstances here at home that stood between him and the W10C's. I am sure it could have been avoided had I foreseen the situation but, I did not and it happened.

For all of you who have something bad to say... You should be ashamed of yourselves as I am sure you are far from perfect and have let others down in the past. For all of you who have been supportive because you know these players and are positive that there is a reason for the things they do.... as always we more than appreciate your faith.

As much as I love my husband and as happy as it makes me that he has chosen a career in a field that he loves, I personally hopes he DOES choose to retire. At least then I won't have to watch with heartbreak as he reads these postings. I hope with all my heart that each and every one of you will one day experience the dissapointment that you have taken it upon yourselves to push upon good, honest, hard-working players such as Charlie and Shawn.

Final point...what about the tournaments that they did show up to despite the apparent and evident lack of participation. These two have been attending tournaments all over the world for many years and you want to bash on them for missing one? This is a joke!

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
I am so glad that I am forced, once again, to take time out to explain Charlie's situation to a bunch of jealous haters.

For the record, Charlie and Shawn both informed someone that they would not be attending the World Championships while they were in Florida at the Seminole/Mizerak Tournament, but because I do not point fingers, I will not name any names and we ARE taking responsibility for the mis-communication. (Charlie will be posting a formal appology and explination in the main forum)

Furthermore, I WILL NOT discuss our personal lives or expose my family to a bunch of strangers so you will just have to take my word for it when I say that we have issues going on here at home that prevented Charlie from attending the tournament. As I stated previously, he DID inform someone and decided to accept the consequences but as a mob, you guys are way too quick to judge these players on situations you know nothing about.

There are a couple players on the pro list that I have personally overheard talkiing about announcing a formal retirement. These decisions stem from financial roots and are made worse when they are continuously bashed by the general public, who incidently, has no idea what it is like for them. I DARE ANY ONE OF YOU TO WALK IN THEIR SHOES! Trust me when I say that 99.9% of you would never make it.

When the BCA took over the standings, it pushed several players down below where they were supposed to be seated. It took Charlie a year and attendance at several tournaments (that we couldn't always afford for him to go to) in order to fight his way back to a position where he would be invited to the World Championships. Why would he fight so hard if he did not want to go? There were extenuating circumstances here at home that stood between him and the W10C's. I am sure it could have been avoided had I foreseen the situation but, I did not and it happened.

For all of you who have something bad to say... You should be ashamed of yourselves as I am sure you are far from perfect and have let others down in the past. For all of you who have been supportive because you know these players and are positive that there is a reason for the things they do.... as always we more than appreciate your faith.

As much as I love my husband and as happy as it makes me that he has chosen a career in a field that he loves, I personally hopes he DOES choose to retire. At least then I won't have to watch with heartbreak as he reads these postings. I hope with all my heart that each and every one of you will one day experience the dissapointment that you have taken it upon yourselves to push upon good, honest, hard-working players such as Charlie and Shawn.

Final point...what about the tournaments that they did show up to despite the apparent and evident lack of participation. These two have been attending tournaments all over the world for many years and you want to bash on them for missing one? This is a joke!

Whilst I understand it must be hard to have a bunch of strangers on the internet speculating about private matters, they are in the public eye and this is arguably the biggest event of the year!

However I'm pretty sure that 99% of people that have said or thought negative things about this no longer hold those same opinions now you and Shawn have explained yourselves.

Mistakes happen, most people here understand now - try not to let it get to you and be bitter about it. :)

Once Charlie's posted his apology just forget about it, water under the bridge. :)

Mrs. Hillbilly

Registered
Do not mistake an over-protective wife and friend for a bitter poster. :)grin:)

If you look back at some of my other posts, I avidly protest and argue on the side of ALL players. I am an advocate of the sport and speek freely (while attempting to be graceful). I appologize if I came off a little harsh but the direction the sport is heading really gets me upset.

I appreciate your level-headed and understanding point of view and thank you from the bottom of my heart for trying to understand.

Please see Charlie's appology that is now posted in the main forum. If you are so willing to understand then it means the world to us that you read it. Thank you for the open mind...

Whilst I understand it must be hard to have a bunch of strangers on the internet speculating about private matters, they are in the public eye and this is arguably the biggest event of the year!

However I'm pretty sure that 99% of people that have said or thought negative things about this no longer hold those same opinions now you and Shawn have explained yourselves.

Mistakes happen, most people here understand now - try not to let it get to you and be bitter about it. :)

Once Charlie's posted his apology just forget about it, water under the bridge. :)

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect. Not being able to make it to the tournament is sometimes unavoidable due to any number of circumstances. The mistake was not making the necessary communications and if they did then there should be an appeal process. If not, then learn from the mistake.

I apologize for making the statement that there wasn't an excuse for not letting the WPA (or BCA) know that they were not coming before all of the facts were in.

Playing pool for a living can be very difficult. But, to do something that one loves for a living can be very fulfilling. I hope that neither Shawn nor Charlie decides to "retire". Just realize that working a regular "job" isn't a picnic either :smile:

Still a fan, best to both guys.

Darryl

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I've sat back and read the thread and refrained from posting about this until both players (or representatives of) had a chance to respond. That being said, here are my thoughts.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. If other more important circumstances need attention then by all means, the player should tend to those. Things like family, finances, etc...should always come first.

However, I would have made sure that the proper people were notified and then I would have double checked to make sure everything was covered on my end so things like this don't happen.

As for the people voicing their opinions to the matter, good or bad, concerning the players; this is a public BILLIARDS forum and the biggest in the world at that. You have to expect to take the heat, criticism, praise, applause, etc...that comes with being a professional in the field. It's just like other professional sports being scrutenized on ESPN and other sports media outlets. Professional pool players are only subject to this and a few other forums, so it isn't nearly as bad as the other higher profile sports, and it shouldn't be because the money and fame aren't nearly as much.

Anyway, there have been far worse calamaties in pool and life in general than a couple of players missing a tourney and I'm sure there will be more.

theoneandonly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty Silly

I usually just lurk on this board, but I wanted to chime in on this one. I think both players are great players. That can not be denied. Are they irresponsible? Did they act in a unprofessional manner? I would say YES to both of these critical questions. These are professionals we are talking about here.

The Mrs. Hillbilly post really made me lol really hard. Can we please have some more comedy?:smile:

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was looking around for a coach and someone to help me work on my game, I did a lot of research. Money wasn't an issue - I just wanted someone who a) had the skills and experience to help me with my goals and b) had a great reputation in the pool playing community (which is sometimes harder to find than point a).

I spent several weeks weighing my options and discussing this with several people that I know and at the end of the day, I reached out to Charlie Bryant and have been in contact with him numerous times since - I'm meeting up with him in person for the first time this week.

I can say with 100% certainty that in numerous phone conversations and text messages, he's been more honest and forthright in dealing with me than anyone else I've met in 15 plus years of being involved with pool - I also know from my conversations with him that he was planning on going to the Phillipines right after Florida.

Why didn't he? I don't know - that's between he and his family and none of my business. But his not attending, doesn't change my opinion of him in the slightest.

Last edited: