Putnam and Bryant no-show World Championship

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
On the surface this sounds like Putnam and Bryant spit in the face of the WPA. But we haven't heard from them, and until then, it's premature to go beyond conjecture and speculation. Maybe Putnam was sick (he has chronic health issues) and maybe he did call the WPA, albeit after the official notification deadline. I heard he spent 17 hours under a bench for a layover one time he went to the far east (maybe the Taiwan travel you mention URackm). Maybe it was doctor's orders. Why he hadn't posted here yet, we don't know. I hope he's ok.

Maybe Charlie B had a reason too. I don't know what his state of mind was after finishing 1 spot out of the money in the controversial UPL tournament. But even if he was dealt a bad hand there, that IMO would not justify renegging on his committment to the WPA.

We simply don't know their reasons. It looks real bad on them so far and I suspect this thread will apply some pressure for them to tell the pool world why. I suspect we'll know, sooner or later.

very very good point here ! i was also thinking they being partners both may feel slighted from recent events. pool world is brutal at times and makes people do things out of character.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I like you a lot KK9, and this is not in any way to knock you.

I just find it a bit funny that you are saying this after the thread about the b&r's that you started and kept bumping, even though we never got a version from the people that were knocked on...

tale of two charlies !!! roy.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone remember putnam commentating in a us open match this year? he said he did not have any children and does not want any because he is very selfish !

me thinks hillbilly needs better a friend.

I actually commend Shawn for saying that. Not everyone is cut out to be a parent and if kids are not your number 1 priority when you have them then it is better not to have kids. As for the tournament, no excuse, they should have let the WPA know that they were not coming.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I like you a lot KK9, and this is not in any way to knock you.

I just find it a bit funny that you are saying this after the thread about the b&r's that you started and kept bumping, even though we never got a version from the people that were knocked on...

I like you as well Roy, you're a good egg compadre. :) And I understand where you're coming from. I'm riding a fine line, ain't I? :cool:

But you'll notice on that thread I never said Charlie or Rodney cheated. Alleged was my operative word. It looked real bad, but not once did I go beyond speculation and conjecture.

My emphasis and goal in that thread was in good part an attempt to probe why the overall state of pool is all too accepting of sweeping things under the carpet. It met with resistance and so far has not got to where I was hoping. But I think it brought some good awareness, although some toes MAY have got stepped on in the process.

And I may have pushed too hard, I don't know. I have mixed emotions on it. It's a real difficult, delicate, sensitive area to tread on.

Anyway, I hope that explains it a little.

Last edited:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever the reason, there is really no excuse for not taking the time to make a 2 minute phone call. If you tell me something, and then change your mind, at least have the decency and manners to pick up the phone.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Does anyone have a way outside of AZB to contact either Shawn or Hillbilly? Or even Mrs Hillbilly who posts here?

They might want to be aware of this. Just a thought.... :eek:

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
I actually commend Shawn for saying that. Not everyone is cut out to be a parent and if kids are not your number 1 priority when you have them then it is better not to have kids. As for the tournament, no excuse, they should have let the WPA know that they were not coming.

I've gotta agree with Dardusm here...

I mean really...would you rather have someone who admits they're more interested in enjoying their own life than having children and so therefore doesn't. Or...would you rather have someone have a bunch of kids and then not take care of them, because they're to wrapped up in their own world?

Give me the former any day of the week!

At least they're honest with themselves and with everybody else...
Not to mention they aren't screwing up any new lives in the process.

Now as for the whole ditching out on the World 10 Ball tournament...I'll wait to reserve judgment until all the facts are in.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I'm With You Jay

I'm lining up with the WPA on thjis one. Well over 100 players (from all over) battled every day trying to win a spot in this elite field. They had ten 64 man qualifiers and only one winner in each one! These 64 man qualifiers were great fields, full of excellent players. The very first qualifier for filipino players did award two spots. This will give you an idea of how coveted a spot in this tournament was.

And to get invited and just blow it off is totally irresponsible IMO. All they had to do was inform the very same person who invited them. What makes it worse is that it appears they knew they weren't going well in advance. They just chose not to inform anyone of their decision. Two other American players could have replaced them. VERY unprofessional!

Along with accepting these spots in the first place came the responsibilty of showing up, or letting the right people know they couldn't make it.

I know and like both of them, but blowing off this tournament without notification was a decision I can't defend.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I guess peeps simply cannot wait (before making accusations) to hear if maybe they did try to call, or did not know to call, or can explain what happened.... before we throw them under the bus? :thud:

What I am mostly reading on this thread are assumptions that they deliberately didn't call. Maybe I am the one assuming things, but these two guys don't seem like they would do that. Give them a benefit of the doubt. Wow.

I hate threads like this. Haven't we learned there are 3-4 sides to every story?

If I am wrong, then so be it. But, I still stand by the belief that we shouldn't bash, be rude, and accusatory before we know more sides of the story.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's true that they didn't advise the BCA of their absence, then the 2-year suspension is too lenient. This is the WPC for gosh's sake. They could have run two more qualifiers for their spots.

Wonder how many people have called in sick to work when they weren't sick? Wonder if their fellow employees had to work overtime to cover for their absence? Wonder if their fellow employee missed one of their children's ball games because the work had to be done?

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Does anyone have a way outside of AZB to contact either Shawn or Hillbilly? Or even Mrs Hillbilly who posts here?

They might want to be aware of this. Just a thought.... :eek:
Hey all, Either Ms Hillbilly or Charlie will be making a post before too long. Of not I will be making a post explaining things a little better than they have been so far. I imagine now it will be tomorrow. All I can really tell you at this point is that Hillbilly is very sadened and sorry that he did not make it to the WTB. Those of you who now hillbilly know this is not his usual way of doing things.

Shawn Putnam

Pro Player
Silver Member
My explanation !

I want to make a public apology for not going to the WTBC.
The reason that I accepted my initation for the WTBC was that I was in negotiations with a new , really big sponsorship deal that I thought I was gonna sign with a month ago. I still haven't signed yet !
Jerry Forsythe told us in early October that I had to give him an answer soon or be passed over for the invitation.
We had very little time after accepting our invitation to cancel or suffer the penalty of a 2 year suspension ! I truely thought that Iwould have signed that contract by the time I went and that would have givin me enough money to cover my expenses.
In mine and Hillbilly's defense , We had a long talk with Mr. Howerton at the Mizerak tournament about all the problems with the tour or lack of one.
During this conversation me and Hillbilly both told Mike that we were not going to the WTBC !
I guess we just assumed that since Mike and Jerry are responsable for handing out the invitations for the WTBC that if we told Mike we weren't going that he would let someboby know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And for everybody's information. I just found out about this thread earlier today ! I sincerely apologize to everybody that I have offended by my absence of the WTBC ! In the same return I would hope that the people on here that has passed judgement upon me on this thread would have the same respect and apologize to me !!!!!
I want to thank the AZer's that kept an open mind about all this and didn't pass judgement ! ! ! !
Ask me any questions you guys want !!!!

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Shawn and Charlie did have a long conversation with me in Florida and I could not tell you if they both said they were not going to Manila or not. If Shawn says they told me, then they probably did.

It was certainly not in the context of "we have decided to not go to Manila, can you make sure that Jerry or the BCA knows" though. There were quite a few things discussed during that conversation and the conversation did get a bit heated a couple of times.

Jerry is the one who called the players with invites to Manila and the BCA has a deadline as to when names have to be submitted. So Jerry telling the players that they had to give an answer would make perfect sense. Both players were also notified when invited that they had to let the BCA know 30 days prior to the event that they were not attending. The Florida conversation took place during the Seminole event on (I believe) November 14th. This event started 10 days later.

Either way, it was Jerry that called with the invites. I didn't even know who was on the list of US players in Manila. The conversation may have been me asking if they were going (because I didn't know) and them both saying no.

On a related note, I was chatting with a tour director the day before I left for Manila and it was mentioned that Rodney was not coming. I called Rodney to make sure that he had notified the BCA and he said that he notified them weeks earlier. If I had taken from the conversation with Shawn and Charlie that they had been invited and had changed their minds, I certainly would have made sure that the correct people were notified.

Mike

I want to make a public apology for not going to the WTBC.
The reason that I accepted my initation for the WTBC was that I was in negotiations with a new , really big sponsorship deal that I thought I was gonna sign with a month ago. I still haven't signed yet !
Jerry Forsythe told us in early October that I had to give him an answer soon or be passed over for the invitation.
We had very little time after accepting our invitation to cancel or suffer the penalty of a 2 year suspension ! I truely thought that Iwould have signed that contract by the time I went and that would have givin me enough money to cover my expenses.
In mine and Hillbilly's defense , We had a long talk with Mr. Howerton at the Mizerak tournament about all the problems with the tour or lack of one.
During this conversation me and Hillbilly both told Mike that we were not going to the WTBC !
I guess we just assumed that since Mike and Jerry are responsable for handing out the invitations for the WTBC that if we told Mike we weren't going that he would let someboby know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And for everybody's information. I just found out about this thread earlier today ! I sincerely apologize to everybody that I have offended by my absence of the WTBC ! In the same return I would hope that the people on here that has passed judgement upon me on this thread would have the same respect and apologize to me !!!!!
I want to thank the AZer's that kept an open mind about all this and didn't pass judgement ! ! ! !
Ask me any questions you guys want !!!!

Shawn Putnam

Pro Player
Silver Member
Shawn and Charlie did have a long conversation with me in Florida and I could not tell you if they both said they were not going to Manila or not. If Shawn says they told me, then they probably did.

It was certainly not in the context of "we have decided to not go to Manila, can you make sure that Jerry or the BCA knows" though. There were quite a few things discussed during that conversation and the conversation did get a bit heated a couple of times.

Jerry is the one who called the players with invites to Manila and the BCA has a deadline as to when names have to be submitted. So Jerry telling the players that they had to give an answer would make perfect sense. Both players were also notified when invited that they had to let the BCA know 30 days prior to the event that they were not attending. The Florida conversation took place during the Seminole event on (I believe) November 14th. This event started 10 days later.

Either way, it was Jerry that called with the invites. I didn't even know who was on the list of US players in Manila. The conversation may have been me asking if they were going (because I didn't know) and them both saying no.

On a related note, I was chatting with a tour director the day before I left for Manila and it was mentioned that Rodney was not coming. I called Rodney to make sure that he had notified the BCA and he said that he notified them weeks earlier. If I had taken from the conversation with Shawn and Charlie that they had been invited and had changed their minds, I certainly would have made sure that the correct people were notified.

Mike
I am truely sorry about the misunderstanding and I hated to put you in the middle of this !
You are right. We should have notified Jerry earlier !
It is my fault and I accept the 2 year ban as my punishment !
Can you guys please forgive me ? (All My Fans )

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am truely sorry about the misunderstanding and I hated to put you in the middle of this !
You are right. We should have notified Jerry earlier !
It is my fault and I accept the 2 year ban as my punishment !
Can you guys please forgive me ? (All My Fans )

My mother always told me that you have to be a friend in order to have a friend.

I hope you have fans on this forum, Shawn. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all, Either Ms Hillbilly or Charlie will be making a post before too long. Of not I will be making a post explaining things a little better than they have been so far. I imagine now it will be tomorrow. All I can really tell you at this point is that Hillbilly is very sadened and sorry that he did not make it to the WTB. Those of you who now hillbilly know this is not his usual way of doing things.

I remember a conversation I had with Hillbilly in Maine at a Joss Tour Season Finale about men's professional pool.

He should be happy now.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...We simply don't know their reasons. It looks real bad on them so far and I suspect this thread will apply some pressure for them to tell the pool world why. I suspect we'll know, sooner or later.

What is interesting to this reader is how some are so quick to come to a conclusion, without knowing all the facts. You're right on the money again, KoolKat9lives. :smile:

Of course, most know there's only two, maybe three American male pros who are sponsored with funds. All others are sponsored with product. It's a little difficult to fly to Philippines, hang out for a week, on product, if you know what I mean.

Whatever the reasons are for the no-show, it's a matter that is between the players and the governing body of American professional pool for the men.

Oh, wait. That's right. The American men have no governing body anymore. The BCA is going bankrupt, and the WPA is the world governing body.

Pool is cool, but pool players gotta eat too. There is no empathy on this forum for professional players, at least from what I have read. That may be the reason why some pro players choose not to post on pool forums. Who wants to have their life on public display, personal things debated about their private matters?

There's a couple brave souls who test the waters here. God bless 'em. :smile: