Putnam and Bryant no-show World Championship

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=7154

Putnam and Bryant no-show World Championship
Three players in Manila trying to qualify for the 2nd Annual World 10-Ball Championship received nice surprises on Wednesday.

Americans Shawn Putnam and Charlie Bryant, as well as Turkey's Ramazan Dincer were no-shows as the event got underway, leaving organizers to scramble for replacement players.

Dincer was replaced by Filipino Elvis Calasang, who drew the unenviable task of playing Pei-Wei Chang in the first round. Elvis lost the match 9-3 and will face Scott Higgins on Thursday.

Putnam was replaced by Filipino Mario Tolentino, who defeated Roman Hybler 9-8 and will face Po-Cheng Kuo on Thursday.

Bryant's spot in the draw was taken by Mexico's Ernesto Dominguez, who defeated South African Jason Theron 9-7. Dominguez's next opponent is not known at this time.

BCA Policy calls for two year bans from all WPA World Championships for both American players as they did not advise the BCA of their non-attendance.

By AzB Staff - 2009-11-25

I hope they are okay.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
i think they went to teamDmiro 10-ball saturday and sunday !!! it was in florida somewhere.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still, the 2-year suspension sucks.
If it's true that they didn't advise the BCA of their absence, then the 2-year suspension is too lenient. This is the WPC for gosh's sake. They could have run two more qualifiers for their spots.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think either was gonna win, but both have the gear needed to win. They should have posted. Then again, wasn't there some violence in the Phillipines recently where some hostages got killed? That might have scared me too.

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think either was gonna win, but both have the gear needed to win. They should have posted. Then again, wasn't there some violence in the Phillipines recently where some hostages got killed? That might have scared me too.

The Phillipines is made up of literally thousands of islands. The violence your talking about is in a more southern area, on the island of Mindanao. Political fighting between two factions. Ugliness, and not the first time in that area. It is not on the same island as Manila. It is important for those at the W10BC to keep safe as anyone would when traveling any time, but for the most part the area that the tournament is taking place is secure.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
If it proves true that neither had the courtesy of notifying the tournament officials of their intent to stay home, then they need to rethink the way they conduct their business. I say this as a fan of Hillbilly.

I understand they may have reasons to decline, but a simple call or letter would be the minimum response from a professional. It's the WTBC after all, not just some local tourney. It was an honor to be awarded a position to compete...which many STRUGGLE to get. Pity it was squandered.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I am not sure of the details, but if true that the players were just "no-shows" and never contacted anyone, that is totally unprofessional.

It looks to me that all of WPA World Championships are held overseas. As both of the now banned players hardly ever traveled overseas (maybe once), it is not much of a penalty.

IMO, both players should make a public statement...

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
2 yr suspension from all WPA sanctioned event is way to stiff a penalty. I hope the investigations prove for a lighter ban. This in effect regionalizes pro players, shortstops are not going to enjoy Putnam and Hillbilly at every single local and regional event for 2 years. Lord knows what's going to happen if they make more in the next 2 years than they did in the previous 2 years, you would have more elite pro players regionalizing.

I understand the logic, just hope the fallout doesn't hurt too many folks. Rest assured this will impact the regional players a great bit in the south. These two are the favorites in any tourney they enter at regional levels, especially without the presence of other top pros. Bad call WPA!

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Seems to me if they knew they would have to contact someone or get penalized, that they did that. Or, maybe they didn't know this rule?

Ironic they were both on the Mosconi Cup Idol list.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
How much notice is required?

I recall John Schmidt on chat at the UPL tourney last weekend stating he'd just played Shawn, and Shawn was not feeling well. I also believe Shawn and Hillbilly were traveling buddies for the UPL FL tourney. Coincidence??

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
The ban does not say sanctioned (e.g. US Open), it says WPA World Championships. None of which are in the US.

Hey Corey...If it's only the 4 world championships than I guess not too bad a penalty. I was under the impression though that we are talking every event where BCA Points or the WPA is involved since the BCA is mad at them. I was going to say these guys can't play almost any big tourney now.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
2 yr suspension from all WPA sanctioned event is way to stiff a penalty./QUOTE]

Where did you get this from? The press release states 2 yr suspension from participating in WPA World Chamionships.

Ooooops after reading the enitire thread, this post becomes redundant..........so sorry. :)

Last edited:

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Hey Corey...If it's only the 4 world championships than I guess not too bad a penalty. I was under the impression though that we are talking every event where BCA Points or the WPA is involved since the BCA is mad at them. I was going to say these guys can't play almost any big tourney now.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Perhaps it could be a surprise to many, but the US Open is the only major event on US soil that WPA sanctions.