Has Anyone tried a Day Time League for Seniors?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if this has been tried. Age limit over 60 and league play during the day time. Most of us at this age are retired so every day is Saturday.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Local Scene In Fresno, CA

At Blue Fin Billiards, there’s pretty much ring games and also a golf game taking place most days
and tournaments every Saturday and week nites as well, plus several different local & nat’l leagues.
A regular league never seemed to have much interest since folks are mainly interested in individual
play & getting some action on the side. The stakes range are $.50 & $1, $1 & $2 or $2 & $3 on ring
games or a outright race for $5 & $10 or even a $1 or $2 per game King of the Hill. Everyone seems
interested playing that way versus forming a daytime league with regular schedules had little interest.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
At Blue Fin Billiards, there’s pretty much ring games and also a golf game taking place most days
and tournaments every Saturday and week nites as well, plus several different local & nat’l leagues.
A regular league never seemed to have much interest since folks are mainly interested in individual
play & getting some action on the side. The stakes range are $.50 & $1, $1 & $2 or $2 & $3 on ring
games or a outright race for $5 & $10 or even a $1 or $2 per game King of the Hill. Everyone seems
interested playing that way versus forming a daytime league with regular schedules had little interest.

Plenty of league play every night around here. In the day time two bars have over 8 tables with free play until 4pm. Every day, there are seniors playing free. I'm thinking if we had a senior league play, there might be interest. I hate going out at 7pm when I have all day long to play.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I heard they tried it once, but a huge argument broke out. One player accused another of using PEDs after frequent trips to the restroom.

Turns out it was just an enlarged prostrate issue.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I checked it out, couldn't hang.

Somebody ends up feeding the jukebox and then you have a bunch of grannies getting down.

Some things you just can't unsee.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Well, being retired means (to most), NO schedules and the only appointments are with
the Doctors. Who needs a schedule ???

hank

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven’t seen a daytime league but a bar I used to play at had a late night league for industry people. Basically restaurant and bar employees. I think it started at 11 pm. I think there’s a market for a daytime league. Depending on the demographics of the area.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Daytime senior leagues can work really well if you have a high enough concentration of seniors in a given area. I spent several recent winters in the lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas, where there are a lot of active leagues - men's women's and coed. I played in three 8-ball leagues, one 9-ball league and two tournaments every week from December into March. Could have played in more if I didn't have other interests as well.

The age cutoff was 55, but most of the players were in their 60s and 70s with a few in their 80s. These were sponsored and hosted by the various RV/Retirement parks there. They all have pool halls with pretty decent equipment, no jukeboxes, no alcohol, no coin slots and no drama. Made for a very enjoyable time.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond Billiards

Diamond Billiards in Cape Coral, FL has a BCA leaque on Tuesday afternoons. I do not know if it is age restricted.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had

I did a straight Pool league a few years back on Sat. Mornings before the room opened I had the keys. It worked out great no age requirement. Started at 10 am by the time the room opened at noon we were wrapping up.
The owners loved it.
I am currently thinking about a day time 9 ball league on Wed, practice at 11:30 start at noon, 3 races to 5 .

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have the numbers it can work. If you don’t there’s no chance. Canvas them.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^ beats the crap out of league play (to me) ANY DAY!!!!!!

The other thing is time. I have lots of it to spare each day but for some reason I can't seem to do ANYTHING at a set time anymore.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plenty of league play every night around here. In the day time two bars have over 8 tables with free play until 4pm. Every day, there are seniors playing free. I'm thinking if we had a senior league play, there might be interest. I hate going out at 7pm when I have all day long to play.

When I was a youngster, there was a rec center. They had, maybe, 8 to 10 tables. Don't remember what size or brand as I was at most..... 7 or 8 years old but i do remember there was (to me at the time) lots of old farts hanging out all day long.

I would have never thought i would someday be considered one of them. I wish I had paid more attention back then..... long gone.

From memory, they started early a.m. and stopped around 3 p.m. as I would see them on my way to school and then see them packing it in as I past rec center on the way home from school.

No such thing around here and I highly doubt it will be anytime soon.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I once played in a straight pool league here in the DFW area that wasn't for seniors, but had a LOT of "older" ladies and gentlemen playing in it.

Here's what was cool about this league. You got paired up against everyone in the league twice each session (round-robin style) on a weekly basis. Here's the best part: Everybody had everybody else's phone number and you got in contact with your opponent (or they with you) and worked out a time during the week to play the match that was suitable for both players. This resulted in a large percentage of matches (mine at least) to be played during the daytime. It was a great format and worked very well.

I don't see why something like this couldn't be utilized for some kind of seniors league.

I also think a seniors league would probably work better with 5-person teams playing 3 players per week. That would leave some wiggle room for those being ill, away, or having doctor's appointments, etc.

I wish there was something like that around here.

Maniac (not willing to put in the work to get one started)

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an over 55 8 ball league every Tuesday and Thursday at Shooters in Southington Ct. Play starts at 12 noon and goes to about 3:30. Based on averages a computer program picks teams from high to low (usually 8 to ten players) who play 1 game each to another team. With 40 players showing up there will be four teams of ten
split into two groups. $6.50 buys you in and the higher winning team gets $5 back per player. Since the teams change each session it all comes out even competitively. Good
cheap fun on 9' GIII's. Free play after the session for an hour or two brings out a little action too. Mitch

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what was cool about this league. You got paired up against everyone in the league twice each session (round-robin style) on a weekly basis. Here's the best part: Everybody had everybody else's phone number and you got in contact with your opponent (or they with you) and worked out a time during the week to play the match that was suitable for both players. This resulted in a large percentage of matches (mine at least) to be played during the daytime. It was a great format and worked very well.

Straight pool league I'm in works this way too, flexible scheduling works great. About half matches happen during the day, rest in evening. Not sure how this would work for 8/9/10-ball, straight pool matches usually go for 2-3 hours.

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being 72 and retired I don't get up until around 11:30 in the morning. So, for me I would never be able to make it to a league earlier than 4:00 in the afternoon.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just got one going in Cary NC.
https://www.facebook.com/breaktimebilliardscary/

I believe they just started their second session, has caught on and become quite popular. The first session they may have been using 4 tables and that has now doubled in the second session. Ten 9 ft. Diamond tables. They play on Wednesday,12:00 noon I believe. One thing is for sure the food in this place is the nuts and worth going for by itself. The Philly cheese steak sandwich must have crack in it I keep going back for it!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard they tried it once, but a huge argument broke out. One player accused another of using PEDs after frequent trips to the restroom.

Turns out it was just an enlarged prostrate issue.
Now that right there is funny!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
We have a seniors 8-Ball practice League at my home room at Shooters in Southington Connecticut every Tuesday and Thursday starting at noon for ages 55 and up. It averages about 40 players we've had well over 50 a number of times

How its setup is anyone is welcome to come there's no obligation to be there any particular week just come when you can and the computer will pick teams based on everyone's averages and then the teams will compete against each other

The entry fee for the day is $6.50 and if you are on a team that wins you will get back $5 prize money. It's been very successful I've been participating for at least five years and it probably goes back another five before I started with no signs of letting up. :thumbup:

In the mix, as you might imagine, are some pretty sporty players so the competition can be a lot of fun and challenging.

This set up would definitely be a good model to follow for anyone interested to get something going

best,
brian kc