Cuetec announces Carbon Fiber tentative price and....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At $100 under the Revo (real pricing), and with the available pin configurations they are doing, I would consider the Cuetec version, assuming I can find one to try first.

With Revo only doing two pins now, you need to buy a Revo then pay a cuemaker to modify the pin for you. Extra cost. I have 3 cues with a 3/8x10 pin, Cuetec has that, Predator does not.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Exactly companies come up with new things and convince people how much better it is. People buy it and think it's great until they realize that they are still the same player they were before they spent all that money.

I could drive a motor scooter when going on a date.

We'd get to the movies, but would I get laid?

Jeff Livingston

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If Cuetec's new shaft becomes too much competition and sales slack, then I wouldn't be surprised if Predator comes out with Revo 2, or limited run. They're likely discount any Revo 1 in stock to lure opportunity buyers. This has been one of their strategies in the past when sales starts to wane.

That’s a very steep discount. With the competition more expensive and unable to meet demand I think it will take a while for the price to go that low. I bet they’ll be around $450 for a while.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Carbon fiber

Carbon fiber is expensive.. I’m not surprised at all. the question will be will the name cuetec.. a name known for inexpensive cues (not meant to be a knock) will be able to motivate people to spend that kind of money on a shaft. This for some reason reminds me of Kia coming out with the genesis series of cars. When people think Kia they dont think 70 thousand dollar luxury sedan. How do you change that mind set?

Carbon fiber isn't expensive , what motivates people into buying these shafts is in part the dream of being good and they don't know they are being lied to.
China for the life of them cannot produce a solid maple shaft that would stay straight .
China history shows they make stuff cheap by using cheap materials and that is a fact ....
If they could make a solid maple shaft what would stay straight they would because its cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/OD-48-0-Carb...35919268&sr=8-10&keywords=Carbon+fiber+tubing

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston

I played 3 games with a revo shaft just to see how it played. I'm totally unimpressed It is plenty smooth but the all black shaft made it hard to see the tip placement for me They have absolutely no feel to them at all and I found it harder to pocket balls with it than my maple shaft. Anybody that wants to pay for one to play with that's their choice but to believe it's going to make u a better player is total BS.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d like to see all these people saying a carbon fiber cue is going to make them a better player. That’s a straw man.

The main reasons people are interested in them is durability and smoothness, which are good things but they’re not related to playing better.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d like to see all these people saying a carbon fiber cue is going to make them a better player. That’s a straw man.

The main reasons people are interested in them is durability and smoothness, which are good things but they’re not related to playing better.

I think the Revo made me a better player, or at least I miss some shots less than I do with my other shafts. I don't know how well I can do in the long run with it, but I have more confidence in making shots with it, especially when shooting over a ball or needing to use more than a tip of spin.

I still will have the same flaws in my game, but on certain shots the Revo makes those flaws less apparent. I think I can get a full ball better game with some more practice with the Revo, which could bump me up to an A finally.

Maybe I'll do a few days of playing the ghost drills and see how I do with the Revo. I know with my other shafts, I can beat the 7 ball ghost most of the time, but not the 8 or 9 ball ghost. Maybe I can get Casper with 8 balls now.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston

If that's you in your avatar...probably not. :grin:

Maniac (hey, you set yourself up for that one. :thumbup2:)

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players can't and/or won't ever buy into anything LD; it isn't what they learned and simply do not want the re-learn the deflection their brain is already compensating for.

Some make money on cues and custom shafts with their matching rings, in no way will they ever agree with anything but wood being the ticket... and I don't blame them.

For some it is and will always be WOOD, the look of wood, the feel of wood, its wood or nothing...period.
They really didn't give us a choice or many would still be driving carbureted vehicles instead of computer controlled...well, everything.

Revo is LD and that alone cuts the field of a lot of life long players, while creating haters all at the same time.

Those that make the plunge, fight the learning curve; which is less involved if they were already LD users. Meanwhile, the diehard maple guys could care less about the technology coming out as their game has been established years ago.
Many are not interested in anything getting worse before it gets better and/or it will not get better as they have a lifetime invested already and the brain can be hard to train, let alone re-train.

There have been several comment pertaining to CF and golf clubs...the CF verses CF composite are not the same. We have all seen several independents with CF shafts and have been several for some time.
The Revo has surpassed them for a reason as it really is a good shaft not a golf club with a cue joint.
The Cuetec (composite) will IMO also surpass the many independent CF shaft makers; after all, they have the best US player demonstrating it.
I do believe they missed a opportunity by not coming in at $399 vs Predator's $499; however, it's marketing. Many simply won't use some of the very good $5 or $10 tips on the market...they are too cheap to be perceived good...:confused:

Personally, I believe competition is a good thing for the industry and the players. Something has to keep the secondary market in check!

I can't see myself going back to wood shafts after 18 months with the Revo.
It has nothing to do with shooting any better, but I do like new technology (even though I hope to constantly improve my game with effort and time).
I really do not miss cleaning my shafts, working dents/ding and I really like not being to feel any difference between my two shafts.
The world is a little different for me as I recently sold my 7" Diamond Pro-Am and install a 9" Gold Crown; the ghost is pissing me off and shafts are the least of my concerns...

Last edited:

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be hard pressed to spend the $ on a cuetec instead of a predator when the prices are so close.
Look forward to trying it, who knows maybe it will be better than revo?

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be hard pressed to spend the $ on a cuetec instead of a predator when the prices are so close.
Look forward to trying it, who knows maybe it will be better than revo?

Agreed, I really think they missed an opportunity on price and isolated to 12.5 diameter too.
I can't see how making a near copy of a competitor's product with so little price difference gets it done; however, if they can keep up with demand, they will win business simply on availability.
IMO, we will see Predator offer Revo joint options before or shortly after Cuetec's release. They only made them in their Uni-Loc and Uni-Loc Radials options when they were the only game in town... the town is growing

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 3 games with a revo shaft just to see how it played. I'm totally unimpressed It is plenty smooth but the all black shaft made it hard to see the tip placement for me They have absolutely no feel to them at all and I found it harder to pocket balls with it than my maple shaft. Anybody that wants to pay for one to play with that's their choice but to believe it's going to make u a better player is total BS.

Are you using an LD or standard shaft? If you are going from a standard shaft to the Revo you will miss every shot with spin for a long time. Feel is eh, but a lot better than I expected. Did not have any issues with tip myself.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Did also forget to mention that as people were complaining on the Facebook post SVB did respond about how good it really was and he honestly believes it's going to blow the Revo out of the water. He said the Revo was garbage, lol.

As for people saying it doesn't make you better, that not true for me as I have gotten a ball or 2 better. It has also made me more confident using more English and much better speed control.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Revo shafts ship with a soft Predator tip... maybe a good idea as they are pretty stiff.
Once the learning curve was over, I started working my way up on tips and hardness.
Really couldn't handle black tips as I need some sort of contrast; brown tips do that for me. I spent a good 6 months with a med tip and the last few months with a med/hard tip.

Maple to LD as you mentioned, just doesn't happen instantly.
Depending on your normal (maple shaft) tip, the Predator soft may very well have been causing throw as well...especially when one is attempting to see what a shaft can do.

I really hope, no one actually thinks buying a shaft will improve their game; it will certainly deflect less, clean in seconds, prevent dings, and be consistent from one shaft to the next.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Did also forget to mention that as people were complaining on the Facebook post SVB did respond about how good it really was and he honestly believes it's going to blow the Revo out of the water. He said the Revo was garbage, lol.

As for people saying it doesn't make you better, that not true for me as I have gotten a ball or 2 better. It has also made me more confident using more English and much better speed control.

He certainly knows which side of his bread is buttered LOL. Will be surprised if the difference between the shafts is going to be that drastic. But with his strong endorsement, Cuetec will no doubt shift quite a few of them despite the complaints about the price. I think part of the misgivings come from the fact that people feel that they'll lose quite a fair bit of money if they do sell-on their shaft.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
I really hope, no one actually thinks buying a shaft will improve their game

Sadly people do expect that. And in a way, can't blame people for thinking that, seeing how the shafts are marketed.

...it will certainly deflect less, clean in seconds, prevent dings, and be consistent from one shaft to the next.

My own personal observation (from a small sample size of 6-7 shafts of each diameter) is that the shafts vary with a small weight range of 5 grams, and they do vary ever so slightly (nitpicky level) in terms of hit, flex and balance (when matched with a butt). But no doubt, far more consistent than wood-based shafts. Not trying to stir anything here, just wanted to share.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo shafts ship with a soft Predator tip... maybe a good idea as they are pretty stiff.
Once the learning curve was over, I started working my way up on tips and hardness.
Really couldn't handle black tips as I need some sort of contrast; brown tips do that for me. I spent a good 6 months with a med tip and the last few months with a med/hard tip.

Maple to LD as you mentioned, just doesn't happen instantly.
Depending on your normal (maple shaft) tip, the Predator soft may very well have been causing throw as well...especially when one is attempting to see what a shaft can do.

I really hope, no one actually thinks buying a shaft will improve their game; it will certainly deflect less, clean in seconds, prevent dings, and be consistent from one shaft to the next.

For contrast with the tip, people have been saying to use a white pad behind the tip. I was told Appleton was doing that, but he went back to using a maple LD shaft again.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber isn't expensive , what motivates people into buying these shafts is in part the dream of being good and they don't know they are being lied to.
China for the life of them cannot produce a solid maple shaft that would stay straight .
China history shows they make stuff cheap by using cheap materials and that is a fact ....
If they could make a solid maple shaft what would stay straight they would because its cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/OD-48-0-Carb...35919268&sr=8-10&keywords=Carbon+fiber+tubing

All true but irrelevant as the Revo is made here in the USA

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
If that's you in your avatar...probably not. :grin:

Maniac (hey, you set yourself up for that one. :thumbup2:)

That photo is of the character, Raymond, "Red" Reddington, in the TV series, The Blacklist.

I hear such hats are coming back in style, though.

Jeff Livingston