Cuetec announces Carbon Fiber tentative price and....

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 3 games with a revo shaft just to see how it played. I'm totally unimpressed It is plenty smooth but the all black shaft made it hard to see the tip placement for me They have absolutely no feel to them at all and I found it harder to pocket balls with it than my maple shaft. Anybody that wants to pay for one to play with that's their choice but to believe it's going to make u a better player is total BS.

The cuetec will have/has a white ferrule.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the Revo made me a better player, or at least I miss some shots less than I do with my other shafts. I don't know how well I can do in the long run with it, but I have more confidence in making shots with it, especially when shooting over a ball or needing to use more than a tip of spin.

I still will have the same flaws in my game, but on certain shots the Revo makes those flaws less apparent. I think I can get a full ball better game with some more practice with the Revo, which could bump me up to an A finally.

Maybe I'll do a few days of playing the ghost drills and see how I do with the Revo. I know with my other shafts, I can beat the 7 ball ghost most of the time, but not the 8 or 9 ball ghost. Maybe I can get Casper with 8 balls now.

lol I stand corrected I didn’t think anyone was crazy enough to believe a cue could improve their game, :p

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
lol I stand corrected I didn’t think anyone was crazy enough to believe a cue could improve their game, :p

Of course a good cue can help a player play.

Now, it won't increase your knowledge of the game, other than LD feel and all that kind of change, but if in a bar and playing for money, are you going to use a crap, stiff, heavy, bar cue or your cue that's designed and made much better than the bar cure?

Any real player will choose his cue (not including hustles, etc. but that's not the point here).

Jeff Livingston

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure why not? Since all shafts have different ways they send the cueball to the object ball, if there is one that matches how a person aims, that shaft will make them play better. They won't have more knowledge, but certainly can miss less. It won't make a bad player good, but it can make a good player better.

Equipment does matter, when you are comparing equal still or even close to equal skill.

A bad player with top of the line equipment will not beat a good player with bad equipment, but a good player with good equipment is at an advantage over a good player with bad equipment. Put a good drivers in a car with bad tires and they won't beat a weaker driver in a car setup well, as long as there is a reasonable skill gap.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure why not? Since all shafts have different ways they send the cueball to the object ball, if there is one that matches how a person aims, that shaft will make them play better. They won't have more knowledge, but certainly can miss less. It won't make a bad player good, but it can make a good player better.

Equipment does matter, when you are comparing equal still or even close to equal skill.

A bad player with top of the line equipment will not beat a good player with bad equipment, but a good player with good equipment is at an advantage over a good player with bad equipment. Put a good drivers in a car with bad tires and they won't beat a weaker driver in a car setup well, as long as there is a reasonable skill gap.

How much do you think the Revo improved your game - 1 ball, like you mentioned earlier? That’s a massive difference. What was your previous cue, and what specifically about the Revo makes you better? I’m sorry, but I’m skeptical, and I’d like to know the reason that you play better with one cue vs. another - what are the properties of the cue that translate into better play.

I want to have good equipment, but I never thought about it like “playing with this cue, I’m a ball better than playing with that cue.” Sure, if the cue is broken or the tip is falling off, that makes a difference. And yes some cars are faster than others, I’m not saying there is no difference between any equipment in any domain lol. But between two decent, modern cues, like a wood Predator vs. Revo? I’m really skeptical that it can make someone play perceptibly better.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe all the nonsense on here where people are complaining of the "price" of the shaft.

The piece of wood that any cue maker uses to make a shaft costs less than $20 and the maker charges anywhere between $100-$500 for it. What has he done to it to turn the $20 item into something worth hundreds? Nothing really, except the time invested in getting it done properly.

FWIW, I don't care if it takes 2 minutes to make a shaft or 10 years. All I'm interested in is how it plays and its quality (how long it will last).

The carbon fiber shafts will play as good as ANY cue makers BEST shaft and probably will last a lot longer without warping (not that all wood shafts warp) or getting nicked up.

I have high-dollar wood shafts and they play well, but the Becue is what has made me put all of them in the closet.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course a good cue can help a player play.

Now, it won't increase your knowledge of the game, other than LD feel and all that kind of change, but if in a bar and playing for money, are you going to use a crap, stiff, heavy, bar cue or your cue that's designed and made much better than the bar cure?

Any real player will choose his cue (not including hustles, etc. but that's not the point here).

Jeff Livingston

I’d play with my own cue for sure, but isn’t that just because I’m used to it, it’s clean and dent-free, etc.? Lots of people have said house cues are the best - solid wood, no joint. I don’t know about that, but I think most people just want a decent cue they can get used to and keep maintained well, not because they literally believe they play x balls better with it than some other cue. But maybe I’m wrong and people do think that way about their cues - it’s sure looking that way from the responses from you guys. :eek:;)

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo shafts ship with a soft Predator tip... maybe a good idea as they are pretty stiff.
Once the learning curve was over, I started working my way up on tips and hardness.
Really couldn't handle black tips as I need some sort of contrast; brown tips do that for me. I spent a good 6 months with a med tip and the last few months with a med/hard tip.

Maple to LD as you mentioned, just doesn't happen instantly.
Depending on your normal (maple shaft) tip, the Predator soft may very well have been causing throw as well...especially when one is attempting to see what a shaft can do.

I really hope, no one actually thinks buying a shaft will improve their game; it will certainly deflect less, clean in seconds, prevent dings, and be consistent from one shaft to the next.

I just ask a fellow player with a revo shaft if I could hit some balls with it. I've never played with a LD shaft I've shot some with them over the years since the 314 shafts came out and personally I don't like any of them. I played with a tiger LD shaft for a week or so
while I was getting a tip put on one of my shafts

I played with it a week or so and it didn't play bad but I can still play better with just a maple shaft. Maybe it's because I have played with a regular maple shaft for 30 years.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you using an LD or standard shaft? If you are going from a standard shaft to the Revo you will miss every shot with spin for a long time. Feel is eh, but a lot better than I expected. Did not have any issues with tip myself.

I'm far from a great player and have lots of room for improvement but I have a video on my phone where I ran 8 racks in a row on a 9' Diamond pro am. Playing the ghost BIH after the break. Not bragging just saying why would I want to spend $500 on a shaft that I can't make a ball with?

If I did buy one and used it till I got used to it how much can it improve my game?
If a person wants one and it helps them that's fine. The fact that they don't get dings is great but dings is just part of the game and I've been dealing with them all my life

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm far from a great player and have lots of room for improvement but I have a video on my phone where I ran 8 racks in a row on a 9' Diamond pro am. Playing the ghost BIH after the break. Not bragging just saying why would I want to spend $500 on a shaft that I can't make a ball with?

If I did buy one and used it till I got used to it how much can it improve my game?
If a person wants one and it helps them that's fine. The fact that they don't get dings is great but dings is just part of the game and I've been dealing with them all my life

I don't think anyone was forcing you to buy one, not sure what the point is. Was there a tournament that said if you don't have a Revo you can't play?

If it did not work for you, great, but if you don't use an LD shaft, you won't be able to play with one anyway, Revo or not. It does not mean that it won't help everyone, just not you.

For someone that does not even use an LD shaft saying they can't play with a Revo is like someone allergic to peanuts not liking peanut butter sandwiches. It's not really a surprise.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d play with my own cue for sure, but isn’t that just because I’m used to it, it’s clean and dent-free, etc.? Lots of people have said house cues are the best - solid wood, no joint. I don’t know about that, but I think most people just want a decent cue they can get used to and keep maintained well, not because they literally believe they play x balls better with it than some other cue. But maybe I’m wrong and people do think that way about their cues - it’s sure looking that way from the responses from you guys. :eek:;)

Once you play with something you see the result, it's not longer "think" or "believe".

I never liked Predator stuff, but I did play with a Revo, and I know it helped me in some way. Confidence in making a shot with spin for one, I no longer guess but just aim, being able to have that one less miss in a rack or a set.

You only believe before you actually do it, then you know.

Would I have bought one to try without ever hitting with the shaft? No. Would I have used one if I thought it was as good or worse after I tried it? No. It's not even my cue, it's my son's. But I am looking to get a Revo for my cues. Not because I am "thinking" it will be good for me, because I already spent a few weeks shooting with it and I know it will be.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a CueTec CF from 2000. What is the difference? It will scratch. I think this is power bonded on top of carbon fiber material.

Attachments

• IMG_8882.jpg
    IMG_8882.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it funny that in a cuetec thread the main topic has been predator. Lol

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I can't believe all the nonsense on here where people are complaining of the "price" of the shaft.

The piece of wood that any cue maker uses to make a shaft costs less than $20 and the maker charges anywhere between $100-$500 for it. What has he done to it to turn the $20 item into something worth hundreds? Nothing really, except the time invested in getting it done properly.

FWIW, I don't care if it takes 2 minutes to make a shaft or 10 years. All I'm interested in is how it plays and its quality (how long it will last).

The carbon fiber shafts will play as good as ANY cue makers BEST shaft and probably will last a lot longer without warping (not that all wood shafts warp) or getting nicked up.

I have high-dollar wood shafts and they play well, but the Becue is what has made me put all of them in the closet.

People are complaining about the price, because, firstly, there are no shafts to try, so you are basically buying them blind. And since Cuetec is a "low price" brand, you're not getting your money back if you decide to sell. They are pretty much just a handful of dollars below the predator, which is IMO not a good place to be.

The time to make a regular shaft is what makes it cost money, that and the fact that you may have to reject a lot of material that is no good. Time is what you pay for with wages and pretty much anything. Time in R&D, time in manufacture, time in storage etc..Very rarely are the raw materials very expensive. In Predators case you are paying for marketing and R&D, and probably luxury cars, hookers and blow for the execs.

Wooden shafts will last very long if properly taken care of. CF shafts are pretty much unproven as to how long they will last, but I'll give you that they'll probably outlast 99% of wooden shafts, simply because people have no idea on how to take care of their wooden shafts...And the Becue is PAINTED. I'm not putting my bridgehand on any flaking painted surface in this lifetime. I heard you can order it without the paint, so at least that is an improvement. Still you need a glove, which is not everybodys preference. The Predator has a huge advantage over Becue in that regard. I hope for Cuetecs sake that they've solved the surface issue.

Your claim that carbon fiber play as well as the best wooden shafts, is a point with which I disagree. They play numb and dead to me. They do have lower deflection, if you consider that the most important. I'll be interested in playing with the Cuetec, just to see if they've figured this bit out better than the others...I think the feel thing may be a specific property of CF when used in a cue shaft, and may be tough to engineer away.

I prefer my cheap cue to the high tech ones, but I'm not emotionally invested. If somebody can make a shaft where you can actually feel the hit and control the ball as well, I'd probably switch over, but to me there needs to be substantial improvement for such a huge diffference in cost. It's expensive to be an early adopter, when the price becomes more reasonable and the tech more mature, I'll look back into it.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

I play with a cue worth less than $400. It is a sneaky pete, LD design with no fancy anything on it.

It plays better than a bar cue and I'm used to it.

Value is subjective, for sure.

Jeff Livingston

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane said this on Facebook:

Mike Scherer wrong! I know the fact predator does not play like Cuetec. Cuetec got some great engineers that are smart and makes the cues nearly perfect. I been with cuetec for 10 years now. Great company and great people. 2 months ago, I went to china and met up with engineers to talk about making carbon fiber shafts. My idea is Cuetec needs a white ferrel on carbon fiber shafts. They made the cue within 2 weeks, I practice with it for 5 days and won both events in vegas. And won turning stone last week. Fact is predator shafts can’t even come close to Cuetec.

After all these years of winning with cuetec. Cuetec is just simply amazing cues.

I put the one sentence in bold, because Cuetec’s white ferrule is the most visible difference with the Revo. But I don’t really get why an all-black shaft is a problem. The cue ball is white, so black makes the best contrast. How does a white ferrule improve things? Shane uses some kind of aiming system involving the shaft, maybe that has something to do with it.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane said this on Facebook:

I put the one sentence in bold, because Cuetec’s white ferrule is the most visible difference with the Revo. But I don’t really get why an all-black shaft is a problem. The cue ball is white, so black makes the best contrast. How does a white ferrule improve things? Shane uses some kind of aiming system involving the shaft, maybe that has something to do with it.

When I first picked up a Revo, I tried one of the black tips that I had previously used, but quickly switched brown... I prefer a brown tip for a little contrast between the shaft and cue ball.

CueTec is simply addressing on a few things we have all heard since the Revo came out.
* There is no ferrule, where is my ferrule, I need a ferrule
* They don't come in the joint pin of my cue

Personally, I like that there is no "white" ferrule, one less thing to be concerned with or clean.
As far as the pin, even as an amateur I have converted the Uni-Loc to all known threads, except the Wavy (a tap I don't own) and 3/8x11 (no requests).

I am looking forward to hitting a few ball with Cuetec's CF, my guess is that is simply a ferruled version of the Revo and with the sales Predator has seen...why not

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old cuetecs where not carbon fiber, fiberglass, or maybe graphite.

Graphite and Carbon Fiber are basically the same thing. Don't let the terminology get ya.

I really do wanna try the Cuetec and upcoming Mezz versions. Just to see if I like them better than predator.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
* There is no ferrule, where is my ferrule, I need a ferrule

lol that's kinda what I was thinking. And I get it, because I use an OB and I have the one with the white ferrule just because it looks more traditional. I do wonder whether it adds a little to the weight of the end of the cue though. If it's a little higher deflection than it could be, and doesn't really add to the visibility, I don't know if that's a good trade-off for just a more traditional look.