What or who is a flipper?

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
I see this word used a lot and wondered who is considered a flipper or what it takes to be considered a flipper.

Is a flipper a guy that buys one cue uses it for a period, sells it, then buys another cue?

Does it matter if he makes or looses money in the process?

Or is a flipper a guy that buys or orders several cues , maybe keeps a couple and sells a couple a flipper. What if he keeps them all for a period of time then sells them? What if he makes money? What if he looses money?

What if you trade and no money is exchanged?

What differentiates a "Dealer" from a "Flipper"

South_Florida

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think nott that I know but to me it is someone who buys and sells cues to make a profit. Maybe gets them refinished first, like flipping houses, cars etc. It is profit based.

Dealers have business licenses and get cues at discounts from the manufacturer.

pooljd

Registered
A flipper exclusively deals with used stuff. Spot value, buy low, (optionally refinish), sell higher.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a flipper is someone that routinely buys things he sees for sale that he believes he can resell quickly at a profit.

somehow on this site people mistakenly have made it a derogatory term.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flippin Flipper

Here you go

Attachments

• tmp_images1481814953.jpeg
    tmp_images1481814953.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 937

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see this word used a lot and wondered who is considered a flipper or what it takes to be considered a flipper.

Is a flipper a guy that buys one cue uses it for a period, sells it, then buys another cue?

Does it matter if he makes or looses money in the process?

Or is a flipper a guy that buys or orders several cues , maybe keeps a couple and sells a couple a flipper. What if he keeps them all for a period of time then sells them? What if he makes money? What if he looses money?

What if you trade and no money is exchanged?

What differentiates a "Dealer" from a "Flipper"
In property it is someone who buys low, does some added value improvements then sells quick. They are willing to take very small profits and move on. In other words "Flip".

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I think the negative side comes from cuemakers who do not want to sell their cues to people who buy them just for resale.
I fail to understand the problem they (the cuemakers) have with it but it is what it is.

The positive meaning of the word is someone who just likes to try out a lot of different stuff,
buys and then soon after sells for around the same price. Mabye somethimes a little more, sometimes
a little less. Gotulane on here and also people like 8-ball rat are perfect examples.

Me, I consider myself, or actually, I am a dealer. I have a store and buy direct from quite a few
companies and several cuemakers.

gr. Dave

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Flippers run up prices. They enter the market for PROFIT only! They buy and compete with fellow AZB members for items they don't desire. But, believe OTHERS do!!!

They buy on EBAY and sell on AZB at inflated prices. Some times they have the item they won on ebay shipped directly to the new buyer on AZB. They make a 50 or 100 dollar profit pushing a couple buttons on the computer.

People see it happen and realize it ain't right in their mind. Some people see it as unethical and refuse to buy from members that do this. I have seen a few people outed and a ton of purchase prices removed from threads. So, the new owner can tack a few dollars on when they decide to sell.

KD

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
Well, reselling for a profit is a cornerstone of the american way. If a item being offered is priced too high, in your opinion, you are free to look elsewhere. I don't see the problem. Being a informed buyer is your responsibility. Do your homework and you'll be prepared to offer a fair offer on anything these days. Information is everywhere, mainly on the keys your typing on right now. Some items go up in value because of demand, take Black Boars for an example. Pretty safe investment in many people's eyes. When you decide to sell, there is a pretty good chance you will make a few bucks on the deal. Some people are better at reading the tea leaves and invest in the right items that have better chance of returning a profit. Then again, that doesn't always work out and you take a hit. Either way, it's a gamble and that person is risking their coin to begin with.

Your mileage may vary...

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flippers run up prices. They enter the market for PROFIT only! They buy and compete with fellow AZB members for items they don't desire. But, believe OTHERS do!!!

They buy on EBAY and sell on AZB at inflated prices. Some times they have the item they won on ebay shipped directly to the new buyer on AZB. They make a 50 or 100 dollar profit pushing a couple buttons on the computer.

People see it happen and realize it ain't right in their mind. Some people see it as unethical and refuse to buy from members that do this. I have seen a few people outed and a ton of purchase prices removed from threads. So, the new owner can tack a few dollars on when they decide to sell.

KD

Flippers disgust me. They are one reason the market is so screwed up. I've even had a few tell me they wanted to buy my cue to play with, as if I were to believe that when they had 12 other cues for sale.

My favorite is when they buy and cue and it's already for sale the same day.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Flippers.. are cue dealers that say they ain't cue dealers. ;)

How do you know you're a flipper top 10....

10. You go to shows and "rent" booth space from a registered dealer..... (Usually by saying you'll look out for him, but you're really looking out for yourself)

9. Always have a 4x8 in the trunk for emergencies...

8. You spell Szamboti with a Z...

7. You think Balabushkas are signed....

6. You pronounce Joss... Josh....

5. You think Wilbur Wright was a cue dealer out of Chicago

4. You think the W in Rambow is optional

3. You think the Adam insignia is the Lowenbrau lion

2. Your very first cue was probably a Meucci Road Agent....

and the most telling way to know you're a cue flipper

1. You list the cue as mint and UNPLAYED but say it hits like a monster, or a ton....

:D

JV (-----peace...:wink:

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member

10. You go to shows and "rent" booth space from a registered dealer..... (Usually by saying you'll look out for him, but you're really looking out for yourself)

1. You list the cue as mint and UNPLAYED but say it hits like a monster, or a ton....

I think 5 was my favorite - RIP John

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
If I come across a cue in the poolroom that I can make some quick cash off of and give a deal to someone on here or later on in a poolroom then I will. I don't do it often but I usually have something for sale at a fair price. I guess you could call if flipping if you like, I just like to buy, sell and trade.

One of the last deals I did was a guy selling a Joss cue, he could not talk so he would write on a piece of paper what he wanted for it and the details. I gave him a fair price for his cue, helped him with some cash and made a maybe $50 on the deal when I resold it. I do not like when someone takes advantage of a seller, if a guy is giving you a good deal and he is in a rough spot needing cash then do not keep low balling preying upon his tough time. :cool:

asiasdad

Banned

tried to send green, but cannot at the moment...great observations

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
If I come across a cue in the poolroom that I can make some quick cash off of and give a deal to someone on here or later on in a poolroom then I will. I don't do it often but I usually have something for sale at a fair price. I guess you could call if flipping if you like, I just like to buy, sell and trade.

One of the last deals I did was a guy selling a Joss cue, he could not talk so he would write on a piece of paper what he wanted for it and the details. I gave him a fair price for his cue, helped him with some cash and made a maybe $50 on the deal when I resold it. I do not like when someone takes advantage of a seller, if a guy is giving you a good deal and he is in a rough spot needing cash then do not keep low balling preying upon his tough time. :cool:

Not preying on people! But, you bid 300 on a gilbert break jump on eBay. A flipper wins it at 400. Only two bidders! Then a day later it is on azb wanted for sale at 450!!!

You now had the price run up 150 on you to buy the cue you SHOULD have got for 300 just so some smuck can make 50 bucks???

This is the best example of flippers harming collectors and players in search of a great player.

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone who finally gets a custom cue after waiting 5 - 10 years, posts pictures in the gallery going on and on about how unbelievably happy and proud they are to have a cue built from that particular maker, and then seeing that same cue in the sales forum six months later. And yes, it hits lights out and is the best cue I ever did own. Can't believe I'm selling it, hurry before I change my mind.

If after all that wait that's the most that cue means to you to own, play, and/or become part of your collection, then you need to find another hobby.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not preying on people! But, you bid 300 on a gilbert break jump on eBay. A flipper wins it at 400. Only two bidders! Then a day later it is on azb wanted for sale at 450!!!

You now had the price run up 150 on you to buy the cue you SHOULD have got for 300 just so some smuck can make 50 bucks???

This is the best example of flippers harming collectors and players in search of a great player.

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Lenny wanted to buy it for 300.
Either to try out or because he thought he could make a few bucks or both.
I know Lenny , he's one of the good guys.
He buys equipment and tries it out , if he likes it, he starts playing with it .
If he likes something else better he passes it along, he doesn't gouge people, and in reality , he is taking the chances , buying something he can't hold in his hand and so he should make a reasonable profit if he can.
{I'm sure there are also a few times, when he loses on a deal}.
You have to make up for those somehow.
If the other guy bought it for 400. the seller is happy, Lenny doesn't care , there are plenty of other "deals" and the guy who bought it for 400. may get stuck with it.
I don't see how you can fault any of that?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Lenny wanted to buy it for 300.
Either to try out or because he thought he could make a few bucks or both.
I know Lenny , he's one of the good guys.
He buys equipment and tries it out , if he likes it, he starts playing with it .
If he likes something else better he passes it along, he doesn't gouge people, and in reality , he is taking the chances , buying something he can't hold in his hand and so he should make a reasonable profit if he can.
{I'm sure there are also a few times, when he loses on a deal}.
You have to make up for those somehow.
If the other guy bought it for 400. the seller is happy, Lenny doesn't care , there are plenty of other "deals" and the guy who bought it for 400. may get stuck with it.
I don't see how you can fault any of that?

i think you are miss understanding?

Lenny is a nice guy and my example and post was to illustrate how flippers HURT the market/consumer. in my example, the consumer tries to buy at 300 and gets into a bidding war with the flipper and loses at 400 then ends up buying at 450 from the same guy he lost to the very next day!!!!

The flipper cost him 150 to make 50 profit.

KD

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Basically, a flipper is someone who buys something with the intention of immediately reselling it. Flippers keep no inventory except for what is in the process of being sold.

A dealer buys for inventory and usually holds inventory and makes orders for stock, buying at wholesale and reselling at a profit. They also flip but generally make their margins on a steady stream of orders.

A collector generally buys to keep and occasionally culls and liquidates as they move on to expand, change, or deplete their collection. Collectors can actually have both high sales and profits, but profit is not usually the motive. Mainly, collectors want to be able to recover their costs when they decide to liquidate. At one time I thought cues were illiquid, but I've never had a problem raising cash from cue sales. You just have to auction them or price them right.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
i think you are miss understanding?

Lenny is a nice guy and my example and post was to illustrate how flippers HURT the market/consumer. in my example, the consumer tries to buy at 300 and gets into a bidding war with the flipper and loses at 400 then ends up buying at 450 from the same guy he lost to the very next day!!!!

The flipper cost him 150 to make 50 profit.

KD

Flippers are good for the cue market because they add liquidity and in some cases are the "market maker" for certain brands. Although they buy at wholesale, they are taking a risk trying to flip a cue. They may get a lemon, may get burned in the sales process, have to pay high fees from Paypal and ebay. etc.

But say you have 100 guys flipping cues, each one has $5,000 in bought and unsold cues at any given time, that's an extra $500,000 in liquidity added to the cue market on any given day. Granted you're going to get 25% less from a flipper but you're also going to get the money.

You are correct though, they will intercept sales and then resale at a higher price to known collectors. I have more than once bid against flippers, lost and had them try to sell me the cue a short time later.

If a flipper is a seller on ebay, if he's smart you will never see him buying cues with that screen name. He will be buying them with another name than his selling account. Sadly, flippers are not always experts at the cues themselves, but only in the marketability. They may buy something that's been hacked up that all the collectors have already turned down.

Last edited: