how do you counteract "the shakes"

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so i was playing in a high pressure situation yesterday and I got a wicked case of the shakes. fortunately it was close to the end of the match and i had enough of a lead where I could hold on for the win. plus i slammed down a long island ice tea, but that was within about 10 minutes of the end of the match so it didnt have time to soak in.

but normally when i get the shakes, it doesnt turn out so well. anybody have any suggestions or techniques to fight them and keep cool???

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Time your stroke to where it happens in between one shake and the next. If that doesn't work, refer to Runout's suggestion. :smile:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Overcoming the shakes while playing pool

I have been fighting the shakes all my life while playing pool, they come-n-go, sometimes months or years inbetween, but mostly only while I'm playing in a tournament, even if while playing a much lesser player.

I have had them so bad I have dropped my stick while stroking the shot, but I have played some amazing pool shakeing like hell.

The only thing I have found out to get rid of them for me is a straight shot of "tequila", after 5 minutes I'm good to go, that is my remedy for the shakes.

David Harcrow

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm being absolutely straight with you. If you can not control it naturally see your Doctor and ask him about Atavan (generic name is Lorazepam .05 MG).
They will make you lose the shakes and not stone you out if you do not abuse them by taking too many.

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a more serious note. I have had the same issues. Try shooting at a target where the 10 ring is the size of a period on you're screen. Standing at 50' with iron sights and a 14pound 22 with the shakes. It was a national level match and got them. I did fair but it took all the concentration I had.

Anyway the shakes(or DT's as I call'em) is usually an indicator of low blood sugar. Stress in a match can trigger it. Calming down and drink up a Coke or Pepsi usually can overcome the DT's. You need to raise the sugar level to stop the shakes. I usually have a can of Coke before a serious match to avoid the DT's. Hope it helps.

Mark Shuman

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a more serious note. I have had the same issues. Try shooting at a target where the 10 ring is the size of a period on you're screen. Standing at 50' with iron sights and a 14pound 22 with the shakes. It was a national level match and got them. I did fair but it took all the concentration I had.

Anyway the shakes(or DT's as I call'em) is usually an indicator of low blood sugar. Stress in a match can trigger it. Calming down and drink up a Coke or Pepsi usually can overcome the DT's. You need to raise the sugar level to stop the shakes. I usually have a can of Coke before a serious match to avoid the DT's. Hope it helps.

Mark Shuman

Really? I never heard that before. I always used Runout's suggestion, one or two beers. But, father time has crept up on me and I can't do that anymore. I have been having that problem since I stopped (then again, it could be the DT's :rolleyes: I'm sure interested in some other ideas before the Expo.

Bob

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alcohol is a remedy for 'Familial Essential Tremors' if that is what you have.
I do, and it is effective to a large extent, unfortunately I cannot take a chance on DUI... so there is a limit. Talk to your doctor for pharmacy help if you don't drink.

There are some pros out there that deal with it very well. I'm not sure how they do it though. For me it's a big jaunder to my game.

td

deebee53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? I never heard that before. I always used Runout's suggestion, one or two beers. But, father time has crept up on me and I can't do that anymore. I have been having that problem since I stopped (then again, it could be the DT's :rolleyes: I'm sure interested in some other ideas before the Expo.

Bob

Alcohol = sugar

When I get the shakes usually sugar will help settle them down.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
There used to be a pretty good player in the Kentucky area, Rodney Keown, who had some sort of nerve problem. He had the worse case of the shakes I ever saw. He was once playing my road partner, Gary Spaeth in a tournament match. On one shot, he was jacked up over a ball and had to make a really tough shot. He made his elevated bridge, off the rail. I was seated directly behind him and the shot so that I could see straight down the cue as he lined up on the shot. I'd have bet my life he wasn't going to hit the cueball, much less make the shot, he was shaking so bad, but he sure fooled me. He drilled the shot and actually beat my horse in that match! I never saw anything like it. I guess, on his final stroke, the shake went away and he contacted the cueball accurately. Nick Varner has a little of this also but nothing like Rodney!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best advice is to close your eyes and do repetitive breathing exercises. It will also help your vision as well as lower your heart rate which is what you are trying to do. Breath in slowly through your nose, hold your breath equal to the time that you inhaled for and finally exhale out of your mouth slowly. Do this while your opponent is shooting. Drugs / alcohol may help for a short time but long term are not the way to go JMO..

TimmyB80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Shuman

I think you are mixing up 2 different diagnoses:

low blood sugar (can cause trembling) = hypoglycemia
delerium tremens: acute withdrawal from alcohol dependence having an effect on brains GABAergic neurons

edit: I'm sure you are aware that shaking doesn't mean DT's, but someone earlier said that alcohol = sugar, while there is sugar in booze, this isn't what causes DT. Otherwise I'd better stop guzzling Kool-aid...

Last edited:

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key is to ask yourself , Why ? why are you shaking..anxiety. The thing about anxiety is that it causes us to fear. That fear can be real or imagined. Playing pool and becoming over anxious or fearful.."what if I miss this shot".. "I need to make this shot ''..is putting more pressure on yourself. This fear is not real. You are not going to die if you miss it. We do the best we can and let it go . You need to go through the same routines and focus on deep belly breathing. ( from your diaphragm) . This will help to relax you. When you start to focus on the task and your breathing , keeping yourself moving to your own rhythm, you will start to get into the flow of things.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key is to ask yourself , Why ? why are you shaking..anxiety. The thing about anxiety is that it causes us to fear. That fear can be real or imagined. Playing pool and becoming over anxious or fearful.."what if I miss this shot".. "I need to make this shot ''..is putting more pressure on yourself. This fear is not real. You are not going to die if you miss it. We do the best we can and let it go . You need to go through the same routines and focus on deep belly breathing. ( from your diaphragm) . This will help to relax you. When you start to focus on the task and your breathing , keeping yourself moving to your own rhythm, you will start to get into the flow of things.

I think that is good advice that I always don't remember....and by the way Falcon Eddie, weren't you Tommy Jordache's nemesis?

Bob

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the shakes

If the shakes are caused by anxiety they can be cured a number of ways, with the most common being alcohol or relaxation techniques. Be cautious of the alcohol method for the obvious reasons, but also you will be replacing one issue with another. What if you can not drink before or during the match? What if they start during a hill-hill game? This is why the relaxation technique is better. You can practice to focus your mind within a short time (while your opponent is shooting) by closing your eyes, breathing and concentrating.

If the shakes are caused by low blood sugar, you need to get checked by a doctor for a potential medical condition. Most of the time it is because people do not take care of themselves by eating properly. A good breakfast to start the day will help sustain you during the long haul. Most people skip meals simply because they are "too busy." This can be a mistake.