Elk, Deer ferrules, buttcaps and joints

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I have roughly 12 sets of Elk Antlers, and maybe 10-15 sets of Deer antlers.

I made about 25 13mm x 1" ferruls last night on my lathe..would there be an interest in something like this.. I can make buttcaps and joints out of the elk antlers as well. Would this be something people would be interested in? As someone new doing this, I would not charge as much as someone that has been doing it for a while....

Just seeing if there is any interest in something like this....I am sure most cuemakers make their own tho....just checking

Shawn

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd buy some but they need to be over sized. Like around 5/8" at the ferrule, 1.1" at the joint, 1.35" at the butt. Most builders install everything large then machin it flush.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and ??

Shawn,
I would buy if a client/customer had this Joint and requested a Joint Protector to match..
I only know 2 Cuemakers, Joey and Brent uses them..

I just can't stock them, 'cause I don't know when I would need them.
So, I would buy the Joint size blanks from you when needed..

Thanks for the effort and anouncement..
Anyone need caps for their Joey or BHQs with engraving on top?
Alton

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Thanks guys..I will make some buttcap material, and A joint material up and post pics for everyone.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I'd be interested in butt, joint and ferrules. As stated above all must be oversized, and only capped ferrules and A-joints for me. Shoot me a PM with pricing.

Thanks,
Alan

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have roughly 12 sets of Elk Antlers, and maybe 10-15 sets of Deer antlers.

I made about 25 13mm x 1" ferruls last night on my lathe..would there be an interest in something like this.. I can make buttcaps and joints out of the elk antlers as well. Would this be something people would be interested in? As someone new doing this, I would not charge as much as someone that has been doing it for a while....

Just seeing if there is any interest in something like this....I am sure most cuemakers make their own tho....just checking

Shawn

i'd be interested in a cue with an elk antler joint. i think i've seen a cue like that (brian fisher i think) and it had a great grainy look to it. post some pictures so we can figure out what kind of wood would look good with the antler joint

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Are the antlers sheds or from a kill in the hunting season?

Most are from hunting, 1 set of elk antlers are from shed. My cousins husband own a slaughter house and I can get the antlers that people dont want when they take their deer in for processing.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
a couple in the works

i think this is schirra (spellcheck?) moose, on ebony
jeff eason gave it to me awhile back

i know a lot of people dont care for the looks of it, compared to ivory,
but i just appreciate whatever mother nature has to offer

001-27.jpg

002-30.jpg

004-15.jpg

003-21.jpg

elk antler handle, buttcap, joint on bacote
002-28.jpg

001-26.jpg

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Looks great Brent...I think polished antler looks great. I love the way the grain and color looks

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I heard throught the grapevine that you have Jackalope Horns....... How much?

Well, I didnt want that to be known..but since you TOLD ON ME..

I shot these prized jackalope on a recent special hunt that was given to me by an old friend. we went to Nirobi and shot them with a 30mm Chain Gun with depleted uranium rounds at 4700 yards....now mind you, what makes this so spectacular is, I held the gun in my hand....Rambo style

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Checked the storage building tonight behind the garage, I have 15 sets of elk antlers..

These are not all to size, a little long, and 14mm. These are just rough ones really. Just to give you an idea is all.

I wont be able to cut up any elk antler till next week sometime...I really only get maybe 1 day to do this, so this will be slow since I am still learning. No prices right now...dont really know what they would be worth...I know I wont charge what everyone else charges though.

And yes, these are extremely crappy pics....I am gonna buy a new Canon Digital Rebel 12mp camera this week sometime so I can take better pics.

Attachments

• Ferrule 030.jpg
    Ferrule 030.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Ferrule 031.jpg
    Ferrule 031.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much for some joint collars and butt caps. I would keep joint collars around 1" and butt caps 1.325".

Thanks,
Joe Trombetta

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
How much for some joint collars and butt caps. I would keep joint collars around 1" and butt caps 1.325".

Thanks,
Joe Trombetta

Let me do some checking around, but I guarantee it will be cheaper than you can buy them anywhere else.

And like I said...dont expect these real quick...I only have maybe 1 night a week, a few hrs at a time to do this...When Jan gets here, I will have more time.

I will post better pics and prices probably next week.

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me do some checking around, but I guarantee it will be cheaper than you can buy them anywhere else.

And like I said...dont expect these real quick...I only have maybe 1 night a week, a few hrs at a time to do this...When Jan gets here, I will have more time.

I will post better pics and prices probably next week.

That would be perfect as I sold my lathe to a couple of friends of mine and only get out to their shop once or twice a month.

Thanks,
Joe T