Is Mika Currently The Best Rotation Pool Player On The Planet?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard this so many times, yet every time I've actually seen Dennis play in a tournament he faltered. Then I heard that he's not a great tournament player, but he's killer at money matches. But every time I've actually seen his money matches (such as against Yang) he lost.

Is it possible that Dennis is their sucker bet and they've discovered they can keep reeling him in just by telling him he is the best? :grin-square:

But seriously I'm sure he's an incredible player, just by coincidence I may have only ever seen his bad days.

Dennis has a bit of dog in him.-that's definite imo.

If Yang played Wu in a race to 40 or above, I'll take WU.

He would have won the WPC a third time if whitey hadn't been kicked in 3 times after near perfect squats

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see a double round-robin 10-ball tournament with these guys:

Yang Ching-Shun
Mika Immonen
Ralf Souquet
SVB
Johnny Archer
Wu Chia-Ching
Francisco Bustamante
Dennis Orcullo
Ronnie Alcano
Dennis Hatch
Corey Deuel
Thorsten Hohmann
Alex Pagulayan

Give me Orcullo all day long

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I watched Mika play Efren $100 a game one pocket at the DCC one early morning a few years back. That is the only time I have seen him gamble. Doesn't make him bad in my book, Appleton is the few European that I have seen woof up a game.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My short list is Souquet, Yang, Orcullo, and Immonen. Souquet was 3rd at Derby City in a field of over 400. Immonen and Souquet finished 1/2 in the 2008 player of the year race and will likely finish 1/2 again in 2009. Orcullo/Souquet came 1/2 at the Predator 10-ball event in Vegas. Souquet/Hatch/Immonen came 1/2/3 at Turning Stone. Immonen/Souquet were 1/2 at the US Open. Immonen won at Galveston. Yang has played jam up for a few years now, includng a long match win over Orcullo and certainly is on the same level as the others. Wow, this is no easy choice. Let's call it a four way tie.

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
I think people know how good Mika is, they just really don't want to admit it. Maybe it is because he is good looking, arrogant, and takes himself wayyy to seriously. He lacks the humble, "everyman" appeal of Reyes or many of the other pinoys. Yes the filipino players are very good and have contributed much to the game. But in pool, they are also charismatic. They are gamblers, insanely talented but humble, calmly focused, seem to enjoy the game, and are fun to watch with their strange, fluid strokes. These are things Mika is not. He is an employed, sponsored consumate professional who holds his nose above the low-brow aspect of pool we are so fond of. He is cold and calculated. He looks a bit like an unhappy school-child when he makes a rare error, unlike Reyes' self-effacing shrug and smile. If he had theme music it would probably techno.

Nonetheless, there is no denying his brilliance. More than any other player I've seen he possesses absolutely flawless technique. His line-up is picture perfect and his stroke is pure controlled power. If I want to give someone an example of the way you should look playing pool, I roll the Mika clips. Strategy and the mental game can inevitably be learned over years of serious play but few can attain the steadiness of his physical game. He replaces the artistic, dancing game of the filipinos with the consistency of a swiss watch. I wish I could say I know of one-eyed filipino hustler that smokes, drinks, and bets his family's life savings daily that is unbeatable in any game. But Mika is the best, and he's here to stay.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I 100% respect your opinion, BUT I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Earl, Johnny A, and Buddy were all just as dominant in the peaks of their careers and were IMO stronger than Mika. Not to mention, the latter 2 were world class players not just in tourneys but also to gamble with. He's a great player, but he hasn't yet achieved greatness like the likes of the three I just mentioned. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Well, you bring up some excellent names and admittedly, saying he's one of the top 10 in history is an unfair statement to make in pool or any sport for that matter. I will say, I don't think Mika is done yet. When he is done in 5, 10 or 20 years, we can revisit this thread and see who's right! lol

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people know how good Mika is, they just really don't want to admit it. Maybe it is because he is good looking, arrogant, and takes himself wayyy to seriously. He lacks the humble, "everyman" appeal of Reyes or many of the other pinoys. Yes the filipino players are very good and have contributed much to the game. But in pool, they are also charismatic. They are gamblers, insanely talented but humble, calmly focused, seem to enjoy the game, and are fun to watch with their strange, fluid strokes. These are things Mika is not. He is an employed, sponsored consumate professional who holds his nose above the low-brow aspect of pool we are so fond of. He is cold and calculated. He looks a bit like an unhappy school-child when he makes a rare error, unlike Reyes' self-effacing shrug and smile. If he had theme music it would probably techno.

Nonetheless, there is no denying his brilliance. More than any other player I've seen he possesses absolutely flawless technique. His line-up is picture perfect and his stroke is pure controlled power. If I want to give someone an example of the way you should look playing pool, I roll the Mika clips. Strategy and the mental game can inevitably be learned over years of serious play but few can attain the steadiness of his physical game. He replaces the artistic, dancing game of the filipinos with the consistency of a swiss watch. I wish I could say I know of one-eyed filipino hustler that smokes, drinks, and bets his family's life savings daily that is unbeatable in any game. But Mika is the best, and he's here to stay.

Not to single you out because frankly, it's become rather fashionable to bad-mouth Mika but I really want to say a few things in his defense. He plays at Amsterdam Billiards a lot, keeps a small circle of friends who are rather close to him. No, he's not known for gambling but on the flip side of that, I've played him several times and never did we gamble. In fact, he's never even suggested we gamble. He just beats me up for fun ALL DAY LONG. Afterward, maybe he'll have a few drinks, crack a few jokes (he has a dry wit) and calls it a night.

I know when he's competing, he'll occasionally do things that are frowned upon but I firmly believe none of it is actually intended. He's focused, driven and sometimes consumed by the moment but I don't think Mika holds any ill will. He is a decent human being who has gone about making a living through pool in its most honorable way - winning tournaments. There's no hustle, no double-dump, no robbing. You want to criticize Mika for how he acts and I can assure you, there are many others at the US Open that deserve far worse.

I'm happy for him.

henho

I Beat Fidelshnitzer
Silver Member
I bear no ill will towards him. I can just see how in the court of public opinion the filipinos would have an advantage, and why some would hesitate to name him the best even when he deserves it.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member

You make some great points here, as he does come across that way to most people. I must say however, that anyone who knows him personally will disagree.

I met Mika when I came up with the idea for my Mastering Pool DVDs. I hadnt made a single movie in my entire life, knew very little about the pool industry, and had never dealt with someone semi-famous before. I was a tattooed college kid with no job, no portfolio, and nothing to show him except an idea I had. Mika showed me a lot of respect, listened to what I had to say, and opted to give me a chance. He flew to Canada, gave me a whole week of his life, all in confidence that I would produce something decent.

The opportunity (and his respect) meant the world to me. Over the next few months we worked together. When we were filming and went out for dinner or drinks, he offered to pay. He was working for me, and yet he was willing to contribute whenever he could. He worked longer hours than his contact stipulated, and showed me nothing but respect.

When I went to visit him in NY to record some audio, he refused to let me rent a hotel. Instead he let me sleep on his couch for 4 nights in a row. It was a business trip, and yet he still persisted on paying for half the dinner and bar tabs. He was a friend more than a business associate.

Even today he texted me to thank me for my support. Im sure he has hundreds of people to respond to after the US Open, and yet he took the time to get a hold of me to say thanks. The cold calculated person whom you described in your message would never have done that.

Moral of the story is that Mika is not what people perceive him to be. Sure he carries that arrogant sense of self worth and shows his frustration at the table in a questionable way, but aside from that he's a great guy. I just wish that people would appreciate him for his fine character rather continually criticize him.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

On a side note, your post is almost poetic. It's the most well thought out and well written post I've seen on this board in ages. Rep to you for speaking your mind in such a clear and concise manner.

DrMikeUSN

Banned
Alive?

Alive? I think that Dennis Hatch is the best rotation player. I have seen him watching the match at a table next to him get down in a shot make it, watcht he table next to him, get down in his shot make it. And continue doing that and run out racks. He dosn't need to think, its just there.

Hands down no one can beat Dennis Hatch in a race to 100(in a rotation game), and that is the TRUE test.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Alive? I think that Dennis Hatch is the best rotation player. I have seen him watching the match at a table next to him get down in a shot make it, watcht he table next to him, get down in his shot make it. And continue doing that and run out racks. He dosn't need to think, its just there.

Hands down no one can beat Dennis Hatch in a race to 100(in a rotation game), and that is the TRUE test.

No disrespect to Hatch, as he's a monster at the table...but I don't think he'd qualify in the top 20 or 30. Maybe even 40.

jtrombetta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has to be right up there, it doesn't look like the pressure bothers him either, alot of come from behind and hill-hill stuff. I know a few good players who used to play a lot of 14-1 in the 80's to improve their 9 ball. Maybe there was something to it!!

Joe T

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
I've played Mika several times in the past year. I even came close to beating him once. Key word, close. If he isn't the best player out there. I don't want to meet up with the best player.

The only player that scares me, as much, is Dennis Hatch.

Beat me to Dennis Tom, and he's been doing it since the mid 80's. I know his travel resume` isnt as strong as Mika's or others...but Dennis is as real as it gets.

http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showplayer2009.php?playernum=197

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
No disrespect to you Nathan, green reps to prove it...

but this may be the dumbest thing I ever read online in 14 yrs!!

lol no worries. You're entitled to say such things, especially when you say it so nicely. :)

I can think of 15+ Asian/Philippino players, 10+ Europeans, and 6+ US players off the top of my head who I think are more solid than Hatch. Don't get me wrong, the guy is amazing, especially at money matches, but when it comes to tournament format and international dominance, Hatch doesn't exist. He barely competes outside of the country, if ever. In my opinion you need to be able to compete outside of your comfort zone to be the best, and this includes playing in International events.

Or perhaps Hatch does and I'm mistaken? If he does I can't recall ever seeing him run deep in any such fields (I've certainly been wrong before).

PS. As if you gave me rep for that. I would have given you the benefit of the doubt either way :)

Last edited:

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i have to disagree with that id put busty in all day against denis, or a few others even, not taking anything away fromdennishe does play really good but not the best:wink:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
lol no worries. You're entitled to say such things, especially when you say it so nicely. :)

I can think of 15+ Asian/Philippino players, 10+ Europeans, and 6+ US players off the top of my head who I think are more solid than Hatch. Don't get me wrong, the guy is amazing, especially at money matches, but when it comes to tournament format and international dominance, Hatch doesn't exist. He barely competes outside of the country, if ever. In my opinion you need to be able to compete outside of your comfort zone to be the best, and this includes playing in International events.

Or perhaps Hatch does and I'm mistaken? If he does I can't recall ever seeing him run deep in any such fields (I've certainly been wrong before).

PS. As if you gave me rep for that. I would have given you the benefit of the doubt either way :)

Going to the final table @ 20yrs old against a very solid Buddy Hall in the 1991 US Open was deep. Im not gonna get into a huge wikipedia search on him< laughin>, but Im old enough to remember early in the match him fearlessley cutting a 9-ball 90 degrees straight down the rail on the TV table.

I Never can blame someone because they are younger than I am or them not knowing certain things, just know he is feared/repsected and has been for decades in both circles, tournaments and the back room.

Voo~~~all in good fun

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Going to the final table @ 20yrs old against a very solid Buddy Hall in the 1991 US Open was deep. Im not gonna get into a huge wikipedia search on him< laughin>, but Im old enough to remember early in the match him fearlessley cutting a 9-ball 90 degrees straight down the rail on the TV table.

I Never can blame someone because they are younger than I am or them not knowing certain things, just know he is feared/repsected and has been for decades in both circles, tournaments and the back room.

Voo~~~all in good fun

I agree that he is feared and respected, but to the likes of Immonen, Ocullo, Yang, Pagulayan, Busty, Souquet, SVB, Alcano, Archer, Wu, Hohmann, Deuel, Feijen, etc, etc, etc, I just dont think he holds up (especially not to the point of being the dumbest statement in 14 years. lol)

Again, personal opinion here. Clearly you disagree, as I'd imagine many others will. Hatch is still awesome as hell, regardless of who agrees and disagrees.

Last edited:

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hatch is a monster player, but he is not on the same level as the Filipinos, Taiwanese, and a few Europeans.