Cue balls? Whats your fav?

John Brumback

Silver Member
Whats your favorite? I'm using the cyclops just because that's what they use at the dcc. It seems to hop and skid more than any cue ball I have ever used. Seems hard to draw too. My fav is the measle.

Thanks in advance. John B.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I don't care either way, but I like Measles because of the dots. I like to see what the cb is doing during and after the shot ;)

John Brumback

Silver Member
Are you talking about the little hop that happens with a skid? Or are these separate incidents?

pj
chgo

Maybe I should have said that little clunky thing it does every now and then. I'm just never sure when it's going to happen. Maybe the hop and skid are kinda at the same time?

I don't think the oball skids,just the cball does something funny? Wish I could explain it better to ya. John B.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith measles ball.
I have played so much with the tv set, that if I get a regular cueball and a purple 4 ball, I get confused :p

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Whats your favorite? I'm using the cyclops just because that's what they use at the dcc. It seems to hop and skid more than any cue ball I have ever used. Seems hard to draw too. My fav is the measle.

Measle ball, or Blue Circle.

Anybody know where the Cyclops cueball can be purchased separately....?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Measle Ball too...

I've played so long, with so many Cue Balls, that it really don't matter to me.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, do you notice the Cyclop balls don't twist as well on banks as the other balls do?

John Brumback

Silver Member
John, do you notice the Cyclop balls don't twist as well on banks as the other balls do?

Oh heck yeah!! First time I used them I thought I forgot how to bank.It took me a few matches to figure how what was going on. I'm letting mine here at home stay dirty. But a month or so before the dcc I'll have to wax em,ugh. John

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith Red Circle.
The red circle makes the game easier (at least for me) since it plays noticeably "lighter" than the rest of the object balls.

But having said that, the asymmetry of the action of the red circle compared to the other object balls bothers me. The measles ball behaves much more closely to the rest of the OBs. And I'm a big fan of symmetry. So I would have to vote for the measles.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is something different about Cyclops Ball Sets ... The balls react off each other differently, as well as off the rail. It's hard to describe but I don't care for them, not that it matters, if you have to play with them that's the way it is.

My favorite Cue Ball would be the Measle Ball, but I think it would be even better with out the measles....

Good rolls.

John Brumback

Silver Member
The red circle makes the game easier (at least for me) since it plays noticeably "lighter" than the rest of the object balls.

But having said that, the asymmetry of the action of the red circle compared to the other object balls bothers me. The measles ball behaves much more closely to the rest of the OBs. And I'm a big fan of symmetry. So I would have to vote for the measles.

I think the same thing. Thanks for your input. JB

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Maybe I should have said that little clunky thing it does every now and then. I'm just never sure when it's going to happen. Maybe the hop and skid are kinda at the same time?

I don't think the oball skids,just the cball does something funny? Wish I could explain it better to ya. John B.
I think I get you, John - thanks.

It sounds like the little hop as the CB hits the OB when a skid happens. My guess is it's the same cause for both things: the balls "stick together" for a moment because of chalk (or something) between them, causing the CB to climb up on the OB and the OB to throw more than usual. You might not notice the little bit of extra OB throw if the shot is pretty straight.

Here at my local pool room they use Centennial balls with the blue circle CBs that come with them. I use my own red circle CB because it has a glossier finish and collects less chalk dust (so fewer skids/hops). I also have a measles CB that I like, but it's newer/bigger/heavier than the old ball sets here, so I usually go with the (older) red circle.

Those are my two criteria: high gloss surface and matched size/weight with the OBs.

pj <- and, of course, as round as possible
chgo

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I like the cueball that comes with the Centennials set, or used to. I haven't seen a new set of those in many years. Most have the tv-pro cup set now. I don't care for the measle ball, which I think acts more like a carom ball and not a pool cue ball. I was one of the first in my country to buy the tv ball set, and I still own that set. I'm used to it of course, but I never liked it. I play snooker mostly now, and luckily the cueball is plain white in all the sets my ph owns. Standard Aramith, I think. I hope they don't replace them anytime soon.

Last edited:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I like the cueball that comes with the Centennials set, or used to. I haven't seen a new set of those in many years. Most have the tv-pro cup set now. I don't care for the measle ball, which I think acts more like a carom ball and not a pool cue ball. I was one of the first in my country to buy the tv ball set, and I still own that set. I'm used to it of course, but I never liked it. I play snooker mostly now, and luckily the cueball is plain white in all the sets my ph owns. Standard Aramith, I think. I hope they don't replace them anytime soon.

What He Said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measles / Pro Cup or the Centenial one. The Aramith Tournament set also plays well but takes more of a stroke to move around than the other ones.