Pat Fleming's 55-inch longtime playing cue

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard on several Accu-Stats videos over the years (some featuring Pat himself playing very high-level 14.1) that he has played excellent all-around pool for a long time with a 55-inch cue, with visibly great results regarding accuracy, sustained runs, and powerfully-applied english of all kinds. He’s not at all a small person so I’ve always wondered about his decision to play with that short of a cue.

Have any of you ever similarly experimented using a shorter cue and I wonder what the factors are that Pat has found helpful? (It also likely doesn't weigh more than 17 or 18 ounces -- not sure about that.)

In a side comment I have to express my endless admiration for what Pat has contributed to our sport via not only the remarkable body of videos he creates year after year for our collective enjoyment (and not least, the instructional benefit they offer players at any ability level), but also the estimable competitions he produces year-round in all pool disciplines.

Arnaldo

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard on several Accu-Stats videos over the years (some featuring Pat himself playing very high-level 14.1) that he has played excellent all-around pool for a long time with a 55-inch cue, with visibly great results regarding accuracy, sustained runs, and powerfully-applied english of all kinds. He’s not at all a small person so I’ve always wondered about his decision to play with that short of a cue.

Have any of you ever similarly experimented using a shorter cue and I wonder what the factors are that Pat has found helpful? (It also likely doesn't weigh more than 17 or 18 ounces -- not sure about that.)

In a side comment I have to express my endless admiration for what Pat has contributed to our sport via not only the remarkable body of videos he creates year after year for our collective enjoyment (and not least, the instructional benefit they offer players at any ability level), but also the estimable competitions he produces year-round in all pool disciplines.

Arnaldo

I have played several matches with my mezz power breaker 2 with a wd 700 shaft and played pretty well with it , I agree that u can realy juice the ball with it ,, I think for me its becase it put my hand at the rear of the cue where I normaly am up on the wrap

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
interesting question... not sure if the cue had anything to do with it, or if he's just another phenomenal player. I do feel like a light cue allows me to work less hard to swing it on power shots, maybe a shorter cue helps also.

I think there is no right answer for everyone, the cue length and weight depend on the player's build and musculature. If you have long arms, a short cue will be a pain because you can't grip the back properly. There's this whole theory also on fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscle fibers, some people are just born with the ability to accelerate more rapidly when stroking a ball. Some guys have that short punchy stroke and they don't need to draw the cue very far back to get big a powerful hit. Pat certainly puts some power into his 14.1 breaks.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC, at one time, the average size of a playing cue was much shorter than it is today. The 55" cue could have been exactly what Pat grew up using and it is what he is comfortable with.
Also, his cue may be heavier than some think. Again, years ago, cues of 21 or 22 ounces were very common.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Stance back then were more upright, compared to the snooker stance that is taught nowadays.

IIRC, at one time, the average size of a playing cue was much shorter than it is today. The 55" cue could have been exactly what Pat grew up using and it is what he is comfortable with.
Also, his cue may be heavier than some think. Again, years ago, cues of 21 or 22 ounces were very common.

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1993 cleveland invitational

pat vs grady (player review on accu-stats, highly recommended)

pat talks about the length of his stick- 53 inches

he carries a normal 58" stick for reach shots

jim

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat actually shot with a 66 inch cue before eventually going down to a 54 in cue.

I agree with what you said about the endless contribution Pat has made to this sport, with the accu-stats newletter, the video's, and lets not forget, he was one of the first players to introduce the Jump Cue. One year at the US OPEN 9 BALL he showed up with a jump cue. They had a meeting on it to find out wether or not it would be allowed. They determined it would be accepted if it was made available to all the players. The following year a few cuemakers stared making them, the rest is history.

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
Pat's cue is 54" and weighs 19.5 oz.
He feels he gets better control on the shorter cue made by skip weston.
I've played with it and see the logic but might take a little bit getting used to it, but it hits great!

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Creative Edge?

Arnaldo

As a friend of Pat's, a commentator at Accu-Stats, and a cue-maker myself, I've spoken extensively with Pat, (on several occasions) about his "short cue" philosophy. I also made a short cue for his brother Pete, based on those beliefs!
Here, it's safe to sum up his thoughts on this matter with a direct quote from Pat himself,
"playing with a short cue------ it's like S-T-E-A-L-I-N!":clapping:

eddiethelock

Locksmith
Silver Member
As a friend of Pat's, a commentator at Accu-Stats, and a cue-maker myself, I've spoken extensively with Pat, (on several occasions) about his "short cue" philosophy. I also made a short cue for his brother Pete, based on those beliefs!
Here, it's safe to sum up his thoughts on this matter with a direct quote from Pat himself,
"playing with a short cue------ it's like S-T-E-A-L-I-N!":clapping:

lmao, i hear that alot from the guy.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Arnaldo

Pat has really short arms.....hence the 55" cue. :grin:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i personally prefer shorter cues. never tried anything shorter than 57" but i really dug it. if i had the cash i'd experiment more with cue lengths.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When Pat was starting to play, 57 inches was the most common length, I'm pretty sure. It was only some carom players at that time who used shorter cues. Pat has done a lot of experiments including a slanted tip and the cue weight he was selling for a while.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat said last night on the game show it is 54", said he once had a 53" cue which he ran 100 balls with twice in a tournament but his little finger hung out over the end of the cue so he switched to the 54".

I guess it makes sense for a person with short arms. Myself, I'd use a 60" if not for the walls in my house being close to the table. I have longer arms than most people.

8JIM9

Registered

Arnaldo
Since the 70's Jimmy Reid has used a 56" cue. He claims it gives him more control. On his DVD, he explains how to find the corrret length cue for you.
8JIM9

XPLAYHARDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hhhmmmmm

WELL GUYS YOU GOT MY WHEELS TURNING AGAIN. NOW I'M GOING TO HAVE TO TRY A SHORTER CUE JUST TO SEE WHAT A SHORTER CUE PLAYS AND FEELS LIKE.......A FEW MORE $$$$$ TO THE CAUSE (LOL):smile:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
When i got to build my first personal cue when apprenticing in a custom cue shop I made mine 54.75" long.........thats where the back of my hand was on my normal playing cues.....

It played great and I shot lights out with it, was extremely controllable and broke great........everything was distributed the same as a normal cue, I really enjoyed playing with it untill some dink stole it.

Only thing i didn't like was having to drop the elbow b/c of the short length, dam i miss it......now that im thinking about it i may build another for myself sometime this year.

Greyghost

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must stretch.

I bought a viking with a smaller shaft at about 57 inches. I like the hit but I just have to stretch way to much on many shots on nine footers. I'm down for sellin' it in case anybody's interested. It's now my emergency cue.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
A short cue works great for playing and breaking.If it has a small knob on the but end and ends right where you would normally grip your cue it is perfect.

I can play well with a cue like this but it creats two problems.One problem is the light wieght makes for a great stroke and it is very easy to handel and play with but over time my stroke will become eratic.It seams like the longer cue and heavier wieght helps keep my mechanics straight.The second problem is If I have to reach even a little bit there is nothing behind my normal grip spot to hold.

If I had an unlimited budget I might expirement with a short cue with a knob that has custom extentions built in.