the history of the global pool scene

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course now so many guys from other countries/continents are not just participating in, but are challenging the very top of multiple billiards disciplines.
I love how global a sport pool is, it's a great way to learn about different styles and see what the world has to offer..

how did it start tho? I'm a little familiar with the filipino invasion, but who from countries besides gb and usa were in the mix in the 80s, 70s, 60s, etc.

who, where, and how far back can we go? what was it like here in usa and abroad?

curious mostly about pool, but please feel free to chime in re: billiards (billiart?) in general..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as U.S.-style pool goes there really wasn't any foreign involvement til Efren showed up. The first Euro players i remember were Steve Knight(RIP) and Ralf Soquet. As to why pool took off in Europe i really have no clue.I know a lot of tables went to enlisted/officer clubs on US bases after the war. Where they ended up, who knows. I know in Germany club pool is BIG and has been for a long time. They have all kinds of league play in just about every game but one- hole.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
of course now so many guys from other countries/continents are not just participating in, but are challenging the very top of multiple billiards disciplines.
I love how global a sport pool is, it's a great way to learn about different styles and see what the world has to offer..

how did it start tho? I'm a little familiar with the filipino invasion, but who from countries besides gb and usa were in the mix in the 80s, 70s, 60s, etc.

who, where, and how far back can we go? what was it like here in usa and abroad?

curious mostly about pool, but please feel free to chime in re: billiards (billiart?) in general..

The USA was the center of the Pool universe until the mid 80's when the Filipino invasion began. We did have a Japanese player or two come over here in the 70's without much disruption to our American dominance (Takeshi Okamura played good though).

Jimmy Rempe was our best pool ambassador making frequent trips overseas to highlight our game. He went to Europe several times and won the English Eight Ball title and traveled as far as Australia to play over there. In the 80's players like Sigel, Varner and Strickland were going to Japan to compete and win!

It is only in the last thirty years that the European and Asian pool players have become prominent and we've seen the steady decline of American pool fortunes. Everything has shifted dramatically in that period of time, although we still host some of the most important (and best) tournaments in the world here. Our multitude of regional events also makes the U.S. attractive to foreign players.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a Japanese woman mentioned in mcgoorty's book.

air travel really had to be a point of note on the timeline.

Parica was here before Efren.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Parica pre-dated ER a little but he didn't make near the splash that Efren did. Efren's blitzkrieg at the Red's event made him a star QUICK. I couldn't get off work but some friends went to that and all they could talk about when they got back was " some little Mexican lookin' guy named Cesar". We all knew soon enough.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

There was an excellent Japanese woman Three Cushion player (circa 1950's). She competed in several world championships with some good results. Bob Jewett would know who that was.

Last edited:

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That would be Masako Katsura who played billiards (caroms) and competed at a very high level I belive she competed in 2 or 3 world professional championships and i think she finished ad high as 4th. She beat players like McGoorty, Davis, Procita, Kilgore and others in both tournament play and exhibitions. Her run though was short before she retired. She ran an ungodly amount of points in straight rail and her sister Noriko was the mens champion in japan in a 4 ball version of billiards.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be Masako Katsura who played billiards (caroms) and competed at a very high level I belive she competed in 2 or 3 world professional championships and i think she finished ad high as 4th. She beat players like McGoorty, Davis, Procita, Kilgore and others in both tournament play and exhibitions. Her run though was short before she retired. She ran an ungodly amount of points in straight rail and her sister Noriko was the mens champion in japan in a 4 ball version of billiards.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

There you go. She was the acclaimed student of the Japanese master player Kinrey Matsuyama, who was called the Japanese Willie Hoppe.
She played in three World Three Cushion Championships (1952-54) and finished 7th, 5th and 4th! She also toured with Welker Cochran and Willie Hoppe,
plus playing an exhibition match against Harold Worst in 1959.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Masako Katsura

Attachments

• Masako Katsura 1.jpg
    Masako Katsura 1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Masako Katsura 2.jpg
    Masako Katsura 2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 355
  • Masako Katsura 3.jpg
    Masako Katsura 3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 365

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AFAIK, carom/3-cushion or whatever was always popular in France and other French-speaking places like Belgium. I suppose pool US-style was not popular in Europe before the US Army came over.

But billiards was mainly a sport for the nobility in older times - a nice example of a billiards table can be seen inside Hohenschwangau castle (right across Neuschwanstein, the "original" Disney castle). King Ludwig played on that one with ivory balls.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Locat...nschwangau-Hohenschwangau_Swabia_Bavaria.html

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

She was a billiard player, not a pool player. And at that time the internationals had already left the previously dominant American 3C scene far behind. Which is likely to be the outcome in pool before too much longer, the way things are going.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A famous English Billiards champion named H W Stevenson , in the early 1900s was beating all the top players at English Billiards. He decided to take an extended tour of the world and show everyone how magnificent he was at the game.
At the time English Billiards in Europe and its territories and the 3 and 4 ball game in the US were the main games, that were played competitively.
According to his autobiography , Stevenson stopped in the Phillipines and got beaten by everyone he played.
He warns travelers not to go there and expect to beat anyone, because there were just too many great players.{Sound familiar?}

Then he goes to Australia to lick his wounds and they bring out a 12 year old boy to play him, the boy beats him soundly and Stevenson retires from billiards .
The boys name was Walter Lindrum.
Talk about bad timing.
I know some of the trolls on here will say , but that wasn't nine ball, or eight ball, or one pocket, or some other recent game
. The fact of the matter is , the game doesn't matter , it's a table with balls and a stick and if they could beat a world class player at that game , it was only a matter of a short time and they would beat them at any other game on the same equipment.

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walters grave stone

Guess he really lived and died billiards

Attachments

• Walter_Lindrum_grave.jpg
    Walter_Lindrum_grave.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 224

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
A famous English Billiards champion named H W Stevenson , in the early 1900s was beating all the top players at English Billiards. He decided to take an extended tour of the world and show everyone how magnificent he was at the game.
At the time English Billiards in Europe and its territories and the 3 and 4 ball game in the US were the main games, that were played competitively.
According to his autobiography , Stevenson stopped in the Phillipines and got beaten by everyone he played.
He warns travelers not to go there and expect to beat anyone, because there were just too many great players.{Sound familiar?}

Then he goes to Australia to lick his wounds and they bring out a 12 year old boy to play him, the boy beats him soundly and Stevenson retires from billiards .
The boys name was Walter Lindrum.
Talk about bad timing.
I know some of the trolls on here will say , but that wasn't nine ball, or eight ball, or one pocket, or some other recent game
. The fact of the matter is , the game doesn't matter , it's a table with balls and a stick and if they could beat a world class player at that game , it was only a matter of a short time and they would beat them at any other game on the same equipment.

Do you now the name of his autobiography? I can't find details online...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As Jay Helfert has noted, American pool was the only pool until the 1980's. A few had earned an important place in American pool earlier than that, with the most obvious being Cuba's Alfredo D'Oro, but foreign players were a very small part of the American pool scene until the 1980s.

The Filipino invasion is well known and well documented. The first time I saw a Filipino player compete live in America was Jose Parica at the 1978 PPPA World 14.1 Championship, but he did not have a high finish. The Filipino invasion was only getting started in the 1980's, and most of the Filipinos (Andam, Luat, Kiamko, Lining, Sambajon, et al) didn't come to America until the 1990s. The Filipino invasion continues today in full force.

The European invasion began, for the most part, in the late 1980's and the first European player to make a big splash in America was Oliver Ortmann, who won the US Open 14.1 title in 1989. Aside from the obvious example of Souquet, not many of the top Europeans came to America more than occasionally in the next years, and I'd suggest that Europeans in the American pool scene were few until about 1997, when Chamat, Lely and a couple of others began to frequent the American pool scene more than occasionally, with Feijen and Vandenberg following a few years later, and then, Hohmann and another German named Roschkowski. For the most part, though, the European presence in American pro events was minimal until about 2005, and it has been very substantial ever since. I think the WPA World 9-ball Championships in Cardiff, Wales in the first few years of the new millennium lit a spark for European pool,and European players have excelled for many years now.

I'm really struggling to remember which foreign women first hit the American pool scene, but the first foreign woman that I can remember making a big impression at an American pool tournament was Sweden's Ewa Mataya, who played here as early as 1981 in the World 14.1 Championship, and she was a major force in women's pro pool within a few years of that. There was also a capable player from Japan named Meiko Harada, who preceded Ewa, but was less successful.

To sum, Jose Parica, whose nickname in his PBT days was "the leader of the invasion" is deserving of that nickname. The leader of the European invasion is, without question, Oliver Ortmann. The rest is history.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you now the name of his autobiography? I can't find details online...
So far as I can tell, Stevenson only wrote a small instructional book in 1906. Perhaps his biography was covered by some other author in a larger work.

There is a description of Stevenson's meeting with Walter Lindrum in Lindrum's biography by Andrew Ricketts. It's pretty funny. H. W. "Harry" Stevenson had been world champion around 1910. In 1922 he took a trip to Australia to do exhibitions. He was scheduled to play a two-week series to 16,000 points against Walter who was 23 or 24 at the time. Walter went down to the dock to greet Stevenson and bring him to the venue. Stevenson shrugged him off and said, "Lindrum, I'll see you at Heiron and Smiths' at 11 o'clock."

At the organizer's office, Stevenson offered Walter a 6000 point start and 20% of the gate. Lindrum countered with "Let's just play for $10,000 even." (adjusted for inflation) The referee got them to agree to playing the exhibition match even with a 60-40 split. In the first session, Stevenson made a comment about Lindrum not even knowing how to dress properly (he had a chalk-worn pocket) which Walter overheard.

(The game was English billiards, played with two cue balls and a red ball on what we would call a 6x12 snooker table. Nearly everything you can do gets points -- caroms, pocketing, scratching. If you pocket your opponent's cue ball you get two points but it stays off the table which is a really bad situation.)

Walter played a carom shot that put Stevenson's cue ball near a pocket. He then pocketed Stevenson's ball and proceeded to score 1413 points off just the red. It was a personal high run for Walter at that time. Walter won the series 16,000 to 6540.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm really struggling to remember which foreign women first hit the American pool scene, but the first foreign woman that I can remember making a big impression at an American pool tournament was Sweden's Ewa Mataya, ...
Meiko Harada from Japan played in the US Open 14.1 three times (1973-1975) but had the horrible luck to overlap with Jean Balukas. She finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd. I would agree that Ewa was the first to make real waves.