Earl banned by Pat?

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl unscrewed when he was losing to Niels.
Earl had 8 games and I think Niels had 10 games.
I scored the match as 11-8 with an "F" , indicating a forfeit.
Earl left the room without notifying me or the ref.
He was not banned for future entry in the International.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl

Most great artists are temperamental...

Yes, I agree. It's a given attitude expressed by those who are the best at whatever endeavor they choose. But they too must be held accountable for their conduct and behavior. Some of the best are thieves and con artists.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl is one of the greatest of all time, he hates jump cues and rack mechanic's. We need a referee for racking with no looking at or touching the rack! This would fix Earl and many other players.

FYI:
Earl used a jump cue during his match against Alex Kazakis on the TV table.
He sheepishly took it out of his cue case, jumped, made a good hit and unsuccessfully pocketed a ball.
Alex won the match 11-9.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
FYI:
He sheepishly took it out of his cue case, jumped, made a good hit and unsuccessfully pocketed a ball.
Alex won the match 11-9.

what does it mean that he "made a good hit and unsuccessfully pocketed a ball"?

I've seen Earl use a jump cue before and as you noted, he seemed reluctant but went ahead anyway.

My biggest issue is when a guy forfeits a match he is disregarding all who may have action on the match. It's grossly unfair to fans watching and anyone betting on it.

best,
brian kc

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
(snip)

My biggest issue is when a guy forfeits a match he is disregarding all who may have action on the match. It's grossly unfair to fans watching and anyone betting on it.

best,
brian kc

THAT ^^^^

Plus, why does Earl even bother entering a tourney then quit it early? That's a waste of his not-too-big resources, I'd think.

I'm older than he is, and I think HE is too old to compete anymore with the big guns. We old guys have to deal with it and it's very difficult to accept the fact that we just can't keep it up as long as we used to, no matter how hard we try (forgive the sexual refs, not intentional).

Jeff Livingston

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
THAT ^^^^

Plus, why does Earl even bother entering a tourney then quit it early? That's a waste of his not-too-big resources, I'd think.

I'm older than he is, and I think HE is too old to compete anymore with the big guns. We old guys have to deal with it and it's very difficult to accept the fact that we just can't keep it up as long as we used to, no matter how hard we try (forgive the sexual refs, not intentional).

Jeff Livingston

Like many folks, this is all he knows. Been on the road since the age of 14. Thank about that one.

Plus, as a devoted die hard libertarian that you are Jeff, should not Earl have the choice and freedom to chose what he wants to do regardless of his age. If he wants to play pool till the cows come home, so be it. Plenty of folks hang around other sports far too long....but it was their choice. I know I did in baseball, should have left a decade ago, instead waiting till the ripe old age of 53 after blowing out my ACL and having multiple surgeries... that almost cured me, doctors told me I could never play again due to the complications of the multiple surgeries. 3 years later (this summer) I tried again. Played in 2 games, but didn't like my performance nor the way it felt. Did I retire? Maybe, cause there is always next year :) How do I give up something you love this much, something I've been playing since the age of 5 and never missed a season of playing baseball until I got to 53. It's hard, many folks won't understand, but some folks will.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jayhelfert said:
...disruptions are totally unfair to the other players competing on the surrounding tables, as well as his opponent.

I think the above deserves repeating.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all of us who respect the players and the game, allowing Earl to compete has become a non-starter. Who in their right mind would want to have a finals match broadcast live with Earl in the box? Go back to some of the old Mosconi Cup Matches and you'l see Earl really acting like a loose cannon. It's over. I just don't see any TD allowing him to play in a sanctioned event.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I've seen Earl use a jump cue before and as you noted, he seemed reluctant but went ahead anyway.

best,
brian kc

Brian, I didn't understand that part either. How do you unsuccessfully pocket a ball? Maybe there's something about pool that we don't know yet? :D

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"And more.. much more than this.. I did it myyyyyy wayyyyy"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 346

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
"And more.. much more than this.. I did it myyyyyy wayyyyy"

This look! Somehow Earl always looks tortured, and uncomfortable in his own skin. It was always a challenge to relate to him, more so as he got older. He could be coherent at times and irrational at others. Definitely a troubled soul.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

In my view, yes and no.

I don't think players owe it to side bettors to finish a match. Nor, for that, matter does a thoroughbred jockey owe it to bettors to finish a race. In each case, when you make a bet, you don't know whether your horse will even finish, and all you're betting on is whether they will win. When you bet, things happen.

I do believe, however, that in any event in which fans have paid an admission fee, those fans are being short-changed anytime a player quits in the middle of a match. If a baseball team walked off the field after the seventh inning because they didn't like a call, or if a football team walked off the field after the third quarter in a similar situation, the fans would go nuts, and the teams producing those sporting events would almost certainly feel compelled to do something to make it up to both the fans and the event sponsors.

Pro pool players as a group, unlike most of the pros in the mainstream sports, don't feel an obligation to anybody but themselves. Far too many pool pros take the freakish view that they'll behave the day they get paid the big bucks, overlooking the obvious reality that until they behave, they won't get paid the big bucks.

In the end, it comes down to whether pool pros are committed to their sport and whether they care if they devalue the pro pool product through their actions. From time to time, their lack of commitment has unfortunate consequences.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
In my view, yes and no.

I don't think players owe it to side bettors to finish a match. Nor, for that, matter does a thoroughbred jockey owe it to bettors to finish a race. In each case, when you make a bet, you don't know whether your horse will even finish, and all you're betting on is whether they will win. When you bet, things happen.

I do believe, however, that in any event in which fans have paid an admission fee, those fans are being short-changed anytime a player quits in the middle of a match. If a baseball team walked off the field after the seventh inning because they didn't like a call, or if a football team walked off the field after the third quarter in a similar situation, the fans would go nuts, and the teams producing those sporting events would almost certainly feel compelled to do something to make it up to both the fans and the event sponsors.

Pro pool players as a group, unlike most of the pros in the mainstream sports, don't feel an obligation to anybody but themselves. Far too many pool pros take the freakish view that they'll behave the day they get paid the big bucks, overlooking the obvious reality that until they behave, they won't get paid the big bucks.

In the end, it comes down to whether pool pros are committed to their sport and whether they care if they devalue the pro pool product through their actions. From time to time, their lack of commitment has unfortunate consequences.

Well, I don't believe the two go "hand in hand". Earl attracts a crowd, and pool hall owners LOVE that. And lets be honest, pools decline had NOTHING to do with how folks act while playing pool. If that was the least bit true, the NFL would be out of business decades ago, yet, it's a multi-billion dollar juggernaut.

Actually, in today's society, if they were more outrageous, they may get some ink. There is an old saying, "no press is bad as long as they spell your name correctly" We do live in a "Kardashian Cultre" today, and folks will watch a train wreck, heck, some even like them more after the tracks have been cleared of the bodies.

Sponsors only come when they can get something out of it. If nobody is watching, what will they get? If pool got good ratings, it would be on ESPN. The re-runs of events don't get good ratings and they are used as a "filler" only.

I play with some many folks that don't watch any pool, not on utube, not on a free stream and certainly NOT on a paid stream. If folks who actually play the game won't watch it, what chance do we have of getting non players to watch? There is the problem.

Yet, I can tell you how many folks I know that never played baseball, football, hockey or basketball who not only watch the games on TV but they spend hundreds of dollars to go to see a game in person.

We're a niche sport and we have to accept that. We are no different that Badminton, and some other niche sports in the US. So, just accept it and enjoy the game. Help bring in a few more "die hards" before we all "check out", so it stays alive :)

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This look! Somehow Earl always looks tortured, and uncomfortable in his own skin. It was always a challenge to relate to him, more so as he got older. He could be coherent at times and irrational at others. Definitely a troubled soul.

Agree 100%.... troubled soul, indeed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 317

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't believe the two go "hand in hand". Earl attracts a crowd, and pool hall owners LOVE that. And lets be honest, pools decline had NOTHING to do with how folks act while playing pool. If that was the least bit true, the NFL would be out of business decades ago, yet, it's a multi-billion dollar juggernaut.

Actually, in today's society, if they were more outrageous, they may get some ink. There is an old saying, "no press is bad as long as they spell your name correctly" We do live in a "Kardashian Cultre" today, and folks will watch a train wreck, heck, some even like them more after the tracks have been cleared of the bodies.

Sponsors only come when they can get something out of it. If nobody is watching, what will they get? If pool got good ratings, it would be on ESPN. The re-runs of events don't get good ratings and they are used as a "filler" only.

I play with some many folks that don't watch any pool, not on utube, not on a free stream and certainly NOT on a paid stream. If folks who actually play the game won't watch it, what chance do we have of getting non players to watch? There is the problem.

Yet, I can tell you how many folks I know that never played baseball, football, hockey or basketball who not only watch the games on TV but they spend hundreds of dollars to go to see a game in person.

We're a niche sport and we have to accept that. We are no different that Badminton, and some other niche sports in the US. So, just accept it and enjoy the game. Help bring in a few more "die hards" before we all "check out", so it stays alive :)

Well said! Tap, tap, tap.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI:
Alex won the match 11-9.

Earl can jump a ball and jump the well.. he has said he doesn’t like jump cues but he will use them because not to would put him at a big disadvantage

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
FYI:
Alex won the match 11-9.

best,
brian kc

Brian, I didn't understand that part either. How do you unsuccessfully pocket a ball? Maybe there's something about pool that we don't know yet? :D

I too want to know what “unsuccessfully pocketed a ball” means.
...I could see that phrase used to refer to call shot rules where a player flukes a ball....
...I got a feeling this was just a grammar error and K just meant he was unsuccessful at
pocketing a ball.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I too want to know what “unsuccessfully pocketed a ball” means.
...I could see that phrase used to refer to call shot rules where a player flukes a ball....
...I got a feeling this was just a grammar error and K just meant he was unsuccessful at
pocketing a ball.

Using a jump cue, Earl hit the 6-ball successfully and slopped it in an unintended pocket. [Then he won the game on the next shot with a 7-ball/9-ball combo. But he never has any good luck.:)]

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

There are many niche sports and I attend events in more than a few of them. It is in pool alone that I've experienced competitors walking out in the middle of a match or competition. Asking me to accept it is unreasonable. I'd like pool players to show greater respect for the game, its sponsors and its fans.

I reject the suggestion that pool pros conduct themselves comparably to pros in other niche sports in America. It is not consistent with my vast experience around niche sports.

Accepting pool as a niche sport doesn't require accepting the rampant unprofessionalism found in the sport as both reasonable and expected. In America, the issue is not that pool is a niche sport, but instead that is a sport consisting almost entirely of independent events and no governing body. Conducting oneself with a lack of professionalism has virtually no consequences in today's American pro scene. Betcha it's different in badminton!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was playing this kid Jesus Atencio great young player. And once Earl started losing he got very disrespectful kept talking louder and louder when the kid was shooting it got so bad the kids sponsor had to tell Earl to shut up and that just made it worse and Earl starting yelling a bunch of nonsense lol Jesus kept his cool the whole time and played great in the end Earl raked the balls off the table and was very unsportsmanlike like to a very respectful young player that was prolly thrilled to beat Earl.

Tony Chohan and Sky were playing a match on the next table and Earl's antics totally disrupted their match too. Very unfair to those guys too.

Tony even posted about it after the match on facebook, saying it was a joke having to play next to Earl acting out like that.

View attachment 503792

Yeah, they even caught the a-hole's behavior on video from the match:

https://www.facebook.com/100001863545081/videos/2302720923133337/

That is quite the professional. The best is the spineless ( I presume tournament director in the navy windbreaker?) who he keeps barking at to come over and shark the kid yet the guy does nothing about this fool's behavior.

Now lets see all his moronic defenders cry poor poor Earl :boring2::boring: