Playing Under the Influence

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Marijuana directly affects the brain’s dopamine levels. Dopamine is a chemical neurotransmitter that is involved in mental awareness, focus, and memory.

Smoking or ingesting pot will increase dopamine levels but be careful not to get your dopamine levels too high. That’s when memory and focus become impaired.

So, in the right amount, it can help players. You don't think a few pool world champions made a living at this game while not lighting up ? I know for a FACT they did and continue to do it.

Might be a reason why it's illegal in all sports. Heck, you don't think some of those young gun poker players are not smoking pot before they play marathon poker games. Concentration :)

I don't know, I've never tried it, but it seems to work for some folks.

took the words right out of my mouth. personally pot always added to my acuity and base line energy level on the mental side.....but of course smoking and getting ripped are not the same lol. I for one would rather see a pot smoker than a drinker......alcohol really aint worth one phuck to be perfectly honest. I can say this much....i never lost a match where i thought, dam i shouldn't have smoked....but there were plenty over the years that i know for a fact alcohol didn't do nothing for me except hold me back in general...glad i pretty much only have a bud light with my pop maybe once a month almsot a few years now that i just had some internal switch pop and it all mostly just dont taste good...and i just have no motivation to drink besides that. It might be the only thing in my life i never really questioned as to why that happened...just glad it did.

Greyghost

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Just an FYI, when pot was legalized here it (in California and locally) seemed like everybody was trying it. Now in our neiborhood, it's pretty much died back to the same people who were using it before it was legal.

At this stage, pot is kind of a bust. Here's the stock chart on Aurora Cannabis. I know many people who have lost many kilo's of money on cannabis investments. The same analysts who were screaming "Buy,Buy,Buy!" a year ago at $10 a share are now screaming "Sell, Sell, Sell!" at $1.75 a share.

Attachments

• ACB 1 year.jpg
    ACB 1 year.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Drugs that affect balance and depth perception hurt. Drugs that increase concentration and calm the nerves can help.

Some players need a certain "mix" to play better. When they get it, there's no question they do.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
All your opponent would need to is dangle some Twinkies while you're shooting.

Heck, I'm a sucker for twinkies even sober.

Oh, you mean the pastry... that too.

That was a little creepy.

I thought it was funny lol. But I’m twisted so whom knows?

Perhaps our understanding of the slang term "twinkie" diverges.
I meant boobs - you know, what somebody might "dangle" to shark you.

But even if I had meant gay guys ("twinks")... isn't it kinda creepy to think that's creepy?

pj
chgo

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drugs ,alcohol are nothing more than phony courage.If you need em you got nooooo heart.You can tell yourself it helps all you want ,if you cant play on the natch you cant play.Yea the games full of ,if he,s got the mixture rite .

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've previously mentioned issues with my vision after having Lasik twelve years ago.

Cannabis really does help my vision by sharpening up images and it seems to slightly reduce the halos and starbursts that make it hard for me to see more than two feet away. I really need a proper pool lighting setup, as I currently see at least 3 different shadows on each object ball laying on the table due to multiple light sources at different angles.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I've previously mentioned issues with my vision after having Lasik twelve years ago.

Cannabis really does help my vision by sharpening up images and it seems to slightly reduce the halos and starbursts that make it hard for me to see more than two feet away. I really need a proper pool lighting setup, as I currently see at least 3 different shadows on each object ball laying on the table due to multiple light sources at different angles.

Dude..when I play at my moms it’s like I’m in pool hell. High ceiling with no light, the rooms lit by 6 or 7 mostly small lamps placed all around at different elevations, mad shadows along the rails... it’s madness. Lighting makes a difference fo sho.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drugs ,alcohol are nothing more than phony courage.If you need em you got nooooo heart.You can tell yourself it helps all you want ,if you cant play on the natch you cant play.Yea the games full of ,if he,s got the mixture rite .
You'd be surprised(maybe not) as to how many great players in 70's-80's were either semi-drunk, stoned or speedin' their ass off while playing. I know this 'cause i partied with a bunch of them in those days. It was no big deal, SOP in those days. I like to hit balls after some killer green but i never could play serious behind it. Can't get into serious focus mode for any length of time til it wears off.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If a drug, or alcohol, legal, or ileagle will interfear with your ability to operate machinery, drive a Car, drive an 18 Wheeler, fly an aircraft, or walk a tight rope.

Why would you want to Play Pool under there influence? Make no sense.:wink:

Flip side of the argument is the next few days in the Valley were I live, people will be at the Barret Jackson - Auto Auction spending crazy amounts of dollar for collector cars.

Several local Police Departments, the DPS, and Sheriffs Department is setting up DUI Check Points near & outside the auto auction venue to deal with the rich Nuckleheads who party too hard?

Media is trying to get the word out but the Cops will arrest many who knew they were not too drunk to drive.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Most everything except the hallucinogens won’t really interfere with your ability to do all those things mentioned, just sayin. I’ve played trippy pool before : ) and it was intense. A lot of feel going once I got focused.

It’s fun to play pool, if you enjoying doing other things perhaps they’ll go good together but I don’t think any will make you play better, just get you to your feeling good state of mind

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drugs that affect balance and depth perception hurt. Drugs that increase concentration and calm the nerves can help.

Some players need a certain "mix" to play better. When they get it, there's no question they do.

This thread reminds me of an old ‘made-for-tv’ movie that starred Johnny Cash as a pro pool player. If I recall correctly, a plot twist involved his opponent doping his soft drink (?) with amphetamine. Made his playing overly aggressive.

Same problem with alcohol or opiates. While likely calming the nerves, they DO lower inhibition, which typically leads to a ‘sell out‘.

Cannabis can inspire creativity. Great for jazz musicians who improvise, but maybe not so good for chess players or blackjack card counters.

The only drug I might endorse for pool would be caffeine, but merely to enhance stamina during a long session.

I haven’t tried Valium, but maybe it would help to make my playing more automatic, instead of my usual ‘checklist’ thinking approach (?).

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had an old buddy that would get "in tune" with a hit or two of fine WV weed. It actually helped him stay focused and play better. For some people marijuana can reduce the habit of overthinking, making it easier to play in "the zone". For others it can cause overthinking, overanalyzing, making it impossible to play in the zone.