Best tip for using english

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
Thinking of trying a new tip and looking for suggestions. I like to use english on most of my shots and am curious about everybodies opinion of the best tip, to get the most action with the least amount of power and english.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Honestly years ago the guy who was Winning All the Big Tournaments in ARIZONA was named Doug Hail. Big Table, or Bar Box. He played with a McDermott Plane Jane with Leather Wrap, his TIP was a LePro. Doug's skill was what made the difference, not his Magic Cue!

You can spin a Cue Ball with BARE WOOD, or a BARE FERREL if you have a stroke...

Last edited:

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Moori and LePro in the past, but I really like Kamui Soft! I have 2 shafts and I'm gonna put a Super Soft on one and try that!!

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking of trying a new tip and looking for suggestions. I like to use english on most of my shots and am curious about everybodies opinion of the best tip, to get the most action with the least amount of power and english.

The best tip is to stroke through the ball, accelerate the cue and have a long follow through. Seriously, if the tip has chalk on it you can spin the ball with any tip. I have morri mediums on most of my shafts and triangles on some and they all work well. If you want to hit some shots with my set-up, I am also in Colorado and usually play at Felt. PM me..

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard you can get more english with softer tips and using more of a softer stroking motion.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've still got some original Mooris they hit great.

But I think Sniper can hang with them.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui tan or black super soft (ss)

Once you use one of these you will see what the best tip on the market has to offer.

make sure it is put on right and start with it higher. See how you like it because you can always cut it down more. But don't cut it down right away.

Check it out. Good Luck........

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pretty much what I had in mind

A brand new, unpressed Elk Master.

I like a milk dud but not massively pressed. Pressed back down to it's original height or a bit shorter. I feel like a plain tip is more consistent than a layered tip and a soft tip and finesse seems to get more out of a cue ball while moving it around less than harder tips and harder hits. A milk dud like that lasts me several years so I'm well pleased with tip life.

Hu

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Tips, shafts, and all the other products sold today are no match for for practice and good stroke. If you don't have rock solid fundamentals and good follow through a new tip will not change a single thing, except how money you have in your pocket.

Trust me on this no one can tell you what is best for you, they can only tell you what is best for themselves. The road to finding the best anything is by using everything, but you also have to understand that all these items are nothing but tools and none of them will fix a bad stroke or bad fundamentals.

Take care

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
To the people talking about stroke fundamentals and all that, my stroke is pretty sound and I practice a lot. I am in a more experiemental mood with one of my cues, its really nothing im trying to do to improve my game any just trying new things out, and with the cost of a lot of tips these days and the availabilty of info from azbilliards I just thought I would ask the masses before I made a final decision. I have used Moori medium and triangle mostly and a le pro once (which I hated) I was thinking of trying a Kamui and that seems to be the general consensus on here but I don't know what gives the most action, I have always heard that the harder the tip the more action you can get but a few people have said Kamui soft or medium.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
To the people talking about stroke fundamentals and all that, my stroke is pretty sound and I practice a lot. I am in a more experiemental mood with one of my cues, its really nothing im trying to do to improve my game any just trying new things out, and with the cost of a lot of tips these days and the availabilty of info from azbilliards I just thought I would ask the masses before I made a final decision. I have used Moori medium and triangle mostly and a le pro once (which I hated) I was thinking of trying a Kamui and that seems to be the general consensus on here but I don't know what gives the most action, I have always heard that the harder the tip the more action you can get but a few people have said Kamui soft or medium.

Basically what you are getting with a hard tip is a smaller contact patch so for the same offset the hard tip will seem to get more english. You are also more accurate in your application of english because of this IMHO......

I actually just showed this to a guy at derby and he had never even considered that different tips will produce different sizes of contact patch... The other thing noone ever considers is the fact that a dime radius will produce a smaller contact patch as well...

Contact patches in pool are not the same as in racing... In racing you are wanting as much of a patch as possible because you have the ability to apply more power than the tire can handle... In pool as long as chalk is in use and your tip is properly maintained spin will be determined by tip offset. A soft tip may look like it is able to hit further out than a harder tip but when the contact patch is considered it usually isn't the case.....

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Milk dud, dime shape. Medium moori dime shape, med black kamuii, dime shape. All about same english. Milk dud, 3.50. Moori, kamuii 30.00. John

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

I have had nothing but good luck with Talisman hard tips. I have them on at least a dozen of my playing cues and I can buy and install them for less then most tips cost just to buy!

Mueller's still have the best price for these and I buy a few at a time and that helps on the cost.

I have never tried Sniper or Kamui tips so I suppose I am missing out.

Cuebuddy> Rock spinner from way back:cool:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Actually, a hard tip will give you more control, and the softer a tip is the more action it will give you. With that said, soft tips make control more difficult due to all the spin that you can put on the ball.

Take care