Did Nick Varner gamble.

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick played at the 2019 Seniors One Pocket at Bogies in Houston (65 and owner) last October. He came in 7th, had a good time and said he would be back.

John, Nick and I warmed up for 9 hours on Wednesday at Bogies before the
tourney started. I had just driven in from Weatherford, about 4 1/2/ - 5 hrs.
Nick had a table and had been hitting balls. You know me, I have always liked to be in action in about 10 minutes of walking in a pool room.

I asked for 9-7, hit 2 balls and we flipped for the break. To make a long story short, Nick got me 4 games loser and then I started holding my own. Ended
up at midnight 2 games loser. That little warmup with Nick helped me finish 5th in tournament.(Feel like I should have finished 3rd or better)LOL

In all of my meetings with Nick, he is always a pleasure to play with. 9 hours and never a question between us of a foul or any kind of dispute.:thumbup:

Last edited:

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
I was at a big Pro Tourney in Austin, TX around '85 (? River City Open). All the action was down the road at a pool room called MoreYours (sp?). I saw Nick crush St Louis Louie one night playing a big set.......Louie seemed sharked by the calm way Nick ran out every time he came to the table.

Funny thing is, a couple nights later I saw Louie give a top-shelf shortstop the wild 7,8,9 and play the best pool I've ever witnessed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was at a big Pro Tourney in Austin, TX around '85 (? River City Open). All the action was down the road at a pool room called MoreYours (sp?). I saw Nick crush St Louis Louie one night playing a big set.......Louie seemed sharked by the calm way Nick ran out every time he came to the table.

Funny thing is, a couple nights later I saw Louie give a top-shelf shortstop the wild 7,8,9 and play the best pool I've ever witnessed.

That's Moyer's pool room, an all night action joint back then. I took Louie there in 1984 for one of Sid Mann's big Villa Capri tournaments, and he cleaned house at Moyer's for a healthy four figure score. On the way out, a hustler named Jimmy King drove into the parking lot in a brand new Caddy and waved a handful of hundreds at Louie and asked him to stay and play some with him. I did my best to convince Louie to leave with me, to no avail (it was maybe 2 AM and he had to play a match at 1 PM). I took my share of our winnings and went back to the room. Louie blew in about 8 AM, dead broke!

Such was life with Louie. I loved him and hated him at the same time. By the way Nick Varner and Buddy Hall were always his nemesis'. He chased after both of these guys and never could beat either one. :frown:

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to back US Open winner that probably never would've happened if he'd gotten negative about being that deeply buried and getting that terrible of a roll.

It probably wouldn’t have happened if he didn’t get an extremely lucky roll on the nine either. :) Sigel blasting the balls is no excuse, though. It clearly shows the difference in attitude and demeanour at the table.

As Danny Diliberto once said: “You have to earn a chance to get lucky”!

If anyone has not seen this match, they definitely should. A keeper, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
That's Moyer's pool room, an all night action joint back then. I took Louie there in 1984 for one of Sid Mann's big Villa Capri tournaments, and he cleaned house at Moyer's for a healthy four figure score. On the way out, a hustler named Jimmy King drove into the parking lot in a brand new Caddy and waved a handful of hundreds at Louie and asked him to stay and play some with him. I did my best to convince Louie to leave with me, to no avail (it was maybe 2 AM and he had to play a match at 1 PM). I took my share of our winnings and went back to the room. Louie blew in about 8 AM, dead broke!

Such was life with Louie. I loved him and hated him at the same time. By the way Nick Varner and Buddy Hall were always his nemesis'. He chased after both of these guys and never could beat either one. :frown:

Mark Wilson and I were talking one day and he told me a bunch of stories about Louie and the one I thought was interesting was when Buddy living down south (i forgot where) he said that anytime that Louie got pumped up with $1200 or more it didn't matter the hour, Louie would jump on a bus (with a return ticket) and head South to play buddy, he would go broke and do this many times.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Interesting post.

Nick was known for playing in the big tournaments and getting lots of rest in between his matches. Then once the tournament was over, he would go back into the green room and rob everyone who had been on little sleep for the whole weekend. And not saying Nick needed this advantage but having that edge, he was smart and knew the benefit of being well rested before gambling.

As Lou F. stated, Nick came to St Louis many times a year back when there was actually pool action in St Louis. He would play any one and every one, gambling on their bankroll level. Also, as people stated, Nick had incredible patient, especially when gambling at one pocket. The 'Varner Wedge' (pushing all the balls up table to the top corner pocket on his side of the table), he was a master at and could control almost any spot doing this, out moving and picking balls off one by one. Also, when giving up a big spot, he would also do the one pocket break where you kicked to the side rail and then into the stack, leaving the cue ball stuck to the side of the rack, only releasing a few balls to his side. He didn't want to open the balls up and potentially leave an easy bank for his opponent.

And when giving up a big spot, you would notice Nick wasn't going to take any half risky shot at his hole until he was sure he could run out. He would patiently wait his chance and for his opponent to make a big error. He actually told me this strategy when we sat and talked once.

Best was when I saw him give Gary Lutman 12-5. They played a big $$$, four ahead set. Big Jake - local big action legend staked Gary. They went back and forth for awhile. Gary was never a great one pocket player but had enough fire power to run 5 balls if given the chance. This took place at Cue N Cushion, local old time pool room in St Louis, that closes at 3 A.M. and would not stay open past that time even if big action was going on. Nick knew this as well. They played for hours, basically dead even and I thought there is no way they are gonna get this set done tonight. But it appeared that then Nick played it perfectly. Got four ahead out of no where and pocketed the winning ball at 2:56 A.M.

The only slight 'negative' I would say about Nick is on one of his trips to St Louis, he had a pre arranged match up with Gene Albrecht (a traveling semi pro who had game) to play some 9 ball sets. They both show up and Gene says I'll play you some $200 sets and guarantee you 3 sets. Nick looked and him and said, "As a hall of famer, I'm insulted you only want to play for $200". Basically he was stating Gene was dishonoring him by not showing him more action. Gene was the definite underdog, even though Nick was past his prime at this point. In my mind, and I'm entitled to my opinion, Nick should have taken the $600 and been happy he was basically getting some donation sets. They finally agreed on $300 a set --- unsurprisingly Nick won, but he did lose the first set.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The TD acted EXACTLY as he was supposed to. No gambling at the ACUI nationals, and no gambling at the BEF Jr Nationals....period! The TD did nothing wrong.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

The tournament director got wind of it and disqualified all of us to play in the tournament because gambling is not allowed. No big deal for me but a few of the guys came from out of state.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Nick played at the 2019 Seniors One Pocket at Bogies in Houston (65 and owner) last October. He came in 7th, had a good time and said he would be back.

Just curious, who finished 1 and 2 ?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting post.

Nick was known for playing in the big tournaments and getting lots of rest in between his matches. Then once the tournament was over, he would go back into the green room and rob everyone who had been on little sleep for the whole weekend. And not saying Nick needed this advantage but having that edge, he was smart and knew the benefit of being well rested before gambling.

As Lou F. stated, Nick came to St Louis many times a year back when there was actually pool action in St Louis. He would play any one and every one, gambling on their bankroll level. Also, as people stated, Nick had incredible patient, especially when gambling at one pocket. The 'Varner Wedge' (pushing all the balls up table to the top corner pocket on his side of the table), he was a master at and could control almost any spot doing this, out moving and picking balls off one by one. Also, when giving up a big spot, he would also do the one pocket break where you kicked to the side rail and then into the stack, leaving the cue ball stuck to the side of the rack, only releasing a few balls to his side. He didn't want to open the balls up and potentially leave an easy bank for his opponent.

And when giving up a big spot, you would notice Nick wasn't going to take any half risky shot at his hole until he was sure he could run out. He would patiently wait his chance and for his opponent to make a big error. He actually told me this strategy when we sat and talked once.

Best was when I saw him give Gary Lutman 12-5. They played a big $$$, four ahead set. Big Jake - local big action legend staked Gary. They went back and forth for awhile. Gary was never a great one pocket player but had enough fire power to run 5 balls if given the chance. This took place at Cue N Cushion, local old time pool room in St Louis, that closes at 3 A.M. and would not stay open past that time even if big action was going on. Nick knew this as well. They played for hours, basically dead even and I thought there is no way they are gonna get this set done tonight. But it appeared that then Nick played it perfectly. Got four ahead out of no where and pocketed the winning ball at 2:56 A.M.

The only slight 'negative' I would say about Nick is on one of his trips to St Louis, he had a pre arranged match up with Gene Albrecht (a traveling semi pro who had game) to play some 9 ball sets. They both show up and Gene says I'll play you some $200 sets and guarantee you 3 sets. Nick looked and him and said, "As a hall of famer, I'm insulted you only want to play for $200". Basically he was stating Gene was dishonoring him by not showing him more action. Gene was the definite underdog, even though Nick was past his prime at this point. In my mind, and I'm entitled to my opinion, Nick should have taken the $600 and been happy he was basically getting some donation sets. They finally agreed on $300 a set --- unsurprisingly Nick won, but he did lose the first set.

Great story! I'm a once a week player now (if that) so I try to get over to C & C on Saturday's for an hour or two. I love the Huddlestons - Shirley, Cary and Chris. When I first retired from the Air Force I wasn't working and was in there daily for about 3 months. Chris found out what a fan of Varner I was, and was kind enough, as a surprise, to call Nick and got me a personally autographed photo as a gift. Very thoughtful, nice family.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member

Funny you mention Jimmy King......great one-eyed player from Alabama. It was '85 (the year Hopkins beat Mike Gullyassy in the finals) that I was there. There were 2 days left in the pro event and I decided to check out Moyers one last time. I walk in mid afternoon and Gullyassy was playing Scotty Townsend. They were playing by the game because Scotty and Mike were both still in the tournament and had scheduled matches soon. Gullyassy was in dead stroke, winning every game.

About a half hour later they had to quit and leave for their matches. Jimmy King jumps up, claims the table, and starts wolfing for a game. I was feeling a little froggy and volunteered to play some "cheap", and asked for some weight. Jimmy looks at Scotty and asked if he knew me. Scotty and I had played several times over the previous 18 months in Shreveport, LA and knew how I played. Scotty says "he needs the 8". Without blinking an eye :wink:, Jimmy says "flip it".

So we ended up playing for about 27 hours. I won all but just a couple of sets.......won $3K (the rail won about $7K and no jellys for me :(). Jimmy was a true gentleman to play with and never asked to adjust the game. I was about 24 years old, it was my biggest score to date.

DTL

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny you mention Jimmy King......great one-eyed player from Alabama. It was '85 (the year Hopkins beat Mike Gullyassy in the finals) that I was there. There were 2 days left in the pro event and I decided to check out Moyers one last time. I walk in mid afternoon and Gullyassy was playing Scotty Townsend. They were playing by the game because Scotty and Mike were both still in the tournament and had scheduled matches soon. Gullyassy was in dead stroke, winning every game.

About a half hour later they had to quit and leave for their matches. Jimmy King jumps up, claims the table, and starts wolfing for a game. I was feeling a little froggy and volunteered to play some "cheap", and asked for some weight. Jimmy looks at Scotty and asked if he knew me. Scotty and I had played several times over the previous 18 months in Shreveport, LA and knew how I played. Scotty says "he needs the 8". Without blinking an eye :wink:, Jimmy says "flip it".

So we ended up playing for about 27 hours. I won all but just a couple of sets.......won $3K (the rail won about $7K and no jellys for me :(). Jimmy was a true gentleman to play with and never asked to adjust the game. I was about 24 years old, it was my biggest score to date.

DTL
Jimmy's from here in Birmingham. I've known him for about 45 years, we're about the same age. He would damn sure wolf it up and gamble. Was almost wild as Scotty.
He had both eyes and they both worked, the right just looked off to the side a bit. He may have told folks he was blind it that eye, no telling what he might say at any moment. Lots of fun to be around most of the time, wide open all the time.
He was living in Houston at that time so no doubt it's him, he did drive a new Caddy around that time, and a Canary Yellow '55 Chevy.
It's been 5 or so years since I've seen him or heard of him being around here. Last I heard he was in Mississippi.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I lived in the same town as Buddy for about 3-4 years and I got to know him well enough to have him share some stories about pool players. As most know most of these old pool players hardly ever say great things about other players, but I think Buddy was amazed at Keith and Louie.

He said that Keith McCready and Louie were both without fear and gambled with him often. He went on to say when he busted either of them, there were no problems and they just went out and made a ton more money and came back to play him again.

The world has really changed. There aren't guys like Keith and Louie anymore, and there isn't a way to "make a ton more money" gambling.

Ken

:angry::angry:

Ken