SBE - The Best 10-Ball I've Ever Seen

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just got back from Valley Forge and I'm still abuzz over what I saw Saturday night and Sunday in the pro 10-ball events.

Before focusing on the men's event, which I intend to celebrate in this post, I must give heed to a couple of ladies first. Kelly Fisher was much the best in snapping off the ladies 10-ball event, and the tough Diamond tables didn't seem to present many problems for the many time snooker champion. Well played, Kelly. Also deserving of attention is late teen Brittany Bryant, the sharpshooting Canadian who was Junior World Champion not too long ago. Brittany gutted out a victory against a very game Liz Ford on Saturday night to reach the semifinal against Sarah Rousey. In the semifinal, Rousey jumped out to a 6-1 lead, but Bryant had no quit in her and played superbly to come back for a 9-7 win. Though no match for Kelly Fisher in the final, Brittany turned a few heads at Valley Forge, and with a smile as infectious as her game, she's likely to be a crowd favorite for years to come.

OK, on to the men. Saturday night was Jon "Hennessee" Pinegar's night. After a brilliant comeback after trailing 6-3 against Archer, John overpowered Van Boening and then carved a masterpiece in a 9-3 whitewashing of Deuel to win the hot seat. I wondered whether I'd ever witnessed better 10-ball than Jon had displayed on Saturday night, but Sunday would prove even more electrifying. Hohmann and Van Boening played a truly beautiful match, won double-hill by Van Boening, a match in which you hated to see anyone lose. Shane then played superbly against Deuel, winning easily, to set up the race to thirteen final against Pinegar. It looked interesting for a while, with Pinegar racing out to a 2-0 advantage, but thirteen of the next sixteen racks would be won by Van Boening in the most impressive display of 10-ball I've ever witnessed.

Thanks to Jon and Shane for a memorable display of almost unparalleled excellence over the glorious green felt. Those of us who follow the tournament trail always hope we're on hand when the most elite players get in the zone, but to watch two players execute at this level match after match after match was a rare treat that this particular fan greatly appreciated.

And, of course, thanks to Allen Hopkins for a great show.

Last edited:

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only caught the last bit of Deuel vs SVB and the finals, and SVB was just playing way too damn good. I've never seen so many 10 ball racks broken and ran on a 9 foot diamond before..

SVB's break vs Deuel was pretty bad, loaded with tons of top most of the time. When Pinegar was practicing his break, he was breaking superbly, 1~3 balls down, perfect squat.

SVB and him switched breaks in the final, well Pinegar didn't load it with top, but didn't hit em square and ended up dry.

I think the little feud between him and the ref got to him :/ I was hoping for more safety battles like the one in the beginning, but props to SVB. That safe on the side pocket nipple he played was sweet.

PhillyPoolGuy

Registered
4452030685_b63e4ec9c3.jpg

4452815810_0e875a1f49.jpg

4452040189_9da968135a.jpg

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree SVB was playing awesome. I saw the last half of the SVB v. Corey and left when it was 5-2 SVB against Pinegar, SVB played great. Although John's failed safety on the 2 ball in the 3rd game while ahead 2-0 seemed to turn it all around to SVB. I wish I could have watched the whole thing, it was great pool!

Thanks for the updates, including the women's tourney.

Dave

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
sjm oughtta write for a magazine if he doesn't already. I woulda loved to see all of this. Hope there's video of it somewhere? Nice pix from philly.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ought to add that Shane was off-the-charts incredible Saturday night in the 9-0 whitewashing of Dennis Hatch that ensured he'd reach Sunday's play.

supercue

supercue
Silver Member
So Proud

Shane Called me after he won the title,as he so often does, and I told him I don't think I have ever seen you in such great stroke .Watching him practice when he was home (Rapid City),I knew he had his complete arsenal of skills ready to bring to the table. I see the confidence and focus in him that most people don't see and it's a sight that shows me how complete his game is.
I'm sure there are many more titles for Shane to win ,and lose,but as long as he presents himself as a good representative of the game and enjoys doing it (as he has) ...Well thats the wishes of grandpa Gary, always.

supercue

supercue
Silver Member
Remember ?

I'm 83 yrs young,if you will,and have been playing and teaching this game most of my life and remember ? and of course you don't think I don't know that there is ups and downs in everyones game . as far as betting on Shane is concerned its not that I don't have the confidence in him but it would put more pressure on him if he knew I was risking my money on him. Find yourself a book.I'm sure you can get as much action as you can afford

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Shane Called me after he won the title,as he so often does, and I told him I don't think I have ever seen you in such great stroke .Watching him practice when he was home (Rapid City),I knew he had his complete arsenal of skills ready to bring to the table. I see the confidence and focus in him that most people don't see and it's a sight that shows me how complete his game is.
I'm sure there are many more titles for Shane to win ,and lose,but as long as he presents himself as a good representative of the game and enjoys doing it (as he has) ...Well thats the wishes of grandpa Gary, always.

I had the pleasure of watching your grandson do his thing on the streaming. I was spellbound. That boy can play pool and he does it with style whose origin is obvious. Kudos to you for professing the needed values and kudos to Shane for his brilliant play.

Jonathon Pinegar and Corey played some great pool as well. When I watched Jon on Saturday night he was playing almost perfect pool... but Shane on Sunday... outtasight.

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's behind the back shot with draw to the opposite side of the table was jaw-dropping, as was his break in that last series.

I learned quite a bit watching those matches. I was at sbe on Saturday and got to watch the Sunday matches via streaming from Inside Pool (very nice free treat). 2010 sbe would be a DVD set worth buying. Allen should connect with espn on this for next year.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Please remember how great hes playing when he gets ready to play alex the race to 100 or any other pinoy...and also remember you can get a bet down here...ty

Any other Filipino?????

Okay, you got me. Set him up playing Manalo some 10-ball and I will mortgage my house in preparation for the bet.

Russ

frankwhite

www.superiorbilliardtech.
Silver Member
Any other Filipino?????

Okay, you got me. Set him up playing Manalo some 10-ball and I will mortgage my house in preparation for the bet.

Russ

Im with ya Russ....Even though I dont own a home, I'll try to sell my son(JOKE). But on a real note, I think Shane pound for pound is shinning as much as Pac-Man is to boxing.....

Frankie

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member

I'm a big fan of Shane's and I was at the US Open when he won it and it's no surprise to me to see him winning other tournaments. I couldn't be happier for him and I can't wait to get to see him play again.

James

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other Filipino?????

Russ

ur kidding right russ? manalo was playing in that tourney and not playing anywhere as well as svb. didnt see him playing on saturday night or sunday now did we? it would be svb all the way baby

and to sjm-thanks for mentioning how svb ran over the hatch in 9-0. that match made going to the sbe all worth it to me all by itself.

brian

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I agree SVB was playing awesome. I saw the last half of the SVB v. Corey and left when it was 5-2 SVB against Pinegar, SVB played great. Although John's failed safety on the 2 ball in the 3rd game while ahead 2-0 seemed to turn it all around to SVB. I wish I could have watched the whole thing, it was great pool!

Thanks for the updates, including the women's tourney.

Dave

Yeah... that easy, "failed" safety by Jon was the turning point in the match. I think Shane won 6 games in a row after that.

Jon's getting better and he is getting some serious "seasoning". Jon is already a TOP PLAYER but his second place finishes are simply going to make him into a better player. Jon is learning what it takes to be the world's best.

Jon lost 13-5 in the finals but he was also the only player to beat Shane in that tournament. From an underdog's standpoint, I like the race to whatever, single elimination but the fairness in me says Double Elimination in the finals---- IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEATEN YOUR OPPONENT ONCE in that tournament.

If someone else knocked your opponent onto the one loss side, then it should be single elimination.

JoeyA

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah... that easy, "failed" safety by Jon was the turning point in the match. I think Shane won 6 games in a row after that.

Jon's getting better and he is getting some serious "seasoning". Jon is already a TOP PLAYER but his second place finishes are simply going to make him into a better player. Jon is learning what it takes to be the world's best.

Jon lost 13-5 in the finals but he was also the only player to beat Shane in that tournament. From an underdog's standpoint, I like the race to whatever, single elimination but the fairness in me says Double Elimination in the finals---- IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BEATEN YOUR OPPONENT ONCE in that tournament.

If someone else knocked your opponent onto the one loss side, then it should be single elimination.

JoeyA

I've never seen Jon play before but he is a straight up monster.
He got beat handily but played great. I think it says more about just how good Shane is than what the score indicates.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Double Elim

JoeyA

I kinda like that idea.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
wow russ you got gamble

Oh, mah bad.. By "any Pinoy", I did not realize you were only talking about the 4-5 Flipinos that have ANY prayer of beating Shane in a long race like that in 10 ball.

I guess "any" has different meanings to different people, much like President Slick Willy didn't know what "is" meant.

:D :D :D

Russ

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane vs Alex

Please remember how great hes playing when he gets ready to play alex the race to 100 or any other pinoy...and also remember you can get a bet down here...ty

Ok you got me. ill take the first $500 on Shane even, if they play a streamed 10 ball match to at least a 75 game race.