STRAIGHT POOL Strategy and “Run Your Age” Challenge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that presents a "Run Your Age" Challenge and offers advice on how to play straight pool effectively. Check it out:

Topics covered [with YouTube timestamp links] include:
- Intro [0:00]
- Opening Break [1:17]
- Break Ball [2:37]
- Pattern Play [3:41]
- Solving Problems [6:04]
- Break Shots [9:28]
- Example Run [10:46]
- Wrap-Up [13:31]

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests. And I hope some of you post scores and videos for the "Run Your Age," "Run 100 Minus Your Age," and "High Run" Challenges. Current results are available in the YouTube video description.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

What a great video, thanks so much for posting.

I am going to take this challenge,,, I will be very pleased if/when I run 51 on my Diamond ProAm.

Really glad you posted this.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shouldnt it be
run your age minus 100.....:D
Did you mean "Run 100 Minus Your Age" (e.g., if you are 70, you need to run 30=100-70)?

BTW, shouldn't you get better with age? :grin-square:

Maybe the Challenge should switch from "Run Your Age" to "Run 100 Minus Your Age" at 50. What do you and others think about this?

FYI, I also have the "Maximum Run" as part of the Challenge for the young people who are very good.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you mean "Run 100 Minus Your Age" (e.g., if you are 70, you need to run 30=100-70)?

BTW, shouldn't you get better with age? :grin-square:

Maybe the Challenge should switch from "Run Your Age" to "Run 100 Minus Your Age" at 50. What do you and others think about this?

FYI, I also have the "Maximum Run" as part of the Challenge for the young people who are very good.

Regards,
Dave

Yes I did mean 100- your age
Your idea of starting that at 50 seems reasonable
Pool players are in therir prime when young
So running 25 at age 25 isn’t as hard as running 65 at age 65
Jmho

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Great Video! I ran 47 and out in a college tournament. I did not break that personal record until 40 years later. It proves that pool is a game you can play for your whole life-

Thanks, Dave-

-dj

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I did mean 100- your age
Your idea of starting that at 50 seems reasonable
Pool players are in therir prime when young
Jmho
That's true for people who start young, but it doesn't apply to all. It would have been virtually impossible for me to run 20 balls when I was 20 because I played only socially back then. I have a much better chance to run 56 balls now, and I hope to keep getting better. I hope I can run 70 when I am 70, and I also hope 30 balls (100 - 70) would be trivial by then.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Video! I ran 47 and out in a college tournament. I did not break that personal record until 40 years later. It proves that pool is a game you can play for your whole life-

Thanks, Dave-

-dj
Thank you, and you're welcome. I look forward to see some good scores and videos from you if you decide to participate.

Regards,
Dave

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great challenge Dave! I'll definitely be participating. Everyone always talks about drills to practice, but I find it very boring and doesn't hold my interest. I play 1 player straight pool instead. This seems to get my complete focus, similar to if I'm playing tournaments or cash. Best practice there is in my opinion.

Jmho

I'm a much better player at 47 than I was at 25. I'd probably be able to spot 25 me 3 in a race to 9, playing only with my off hand.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's true for people who start young, but it doesn't apply to all. It would have been virtually impossible for me to run 20 balls when I was 20 because I played only socially back then. I have a much better chance to run 56 balls now, and I hope to keep getting better. I hope I can run 70 when I am 70, and I also hope 30 balls (100 - 70) would be trivial by then.

Regards,
Dave
Good point dave

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 71 and I'd be dead a hundred years before I could run 71??? But 29 and dropping is a possibility.

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are 56?!!! i thought you are closer to early 40s....

once again another great video

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! I hope you and others post some scores and videos.

Good luck and play well,
Dave

Working on it.
I once ran double my age (in my mid 40s), but then that was against a guy who had embarrassed (robbed) my just too many times. Every time I bent over to shoot, it was ‘life-or-death’. THAT level of concentration eludes me these days. Maybe Willie was right (nothing to lose playing alone).