Another one for the old man! - Efren wins!

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
When in Rome...

I didn't see the match but maybe if they mic-ed them up it was to encourage talking and antics for entertainment sake.

Isn't talking and "moving" kind of the norm in the Philippines?

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
JAM - is that you in the avatar? You are a babe and a half!

To keep this about Efren ..... I'm sure Efren would agree.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Efren is a timeless wonder, but given his victory in the nine ball division of the Derby City Classic this year, nobody should be too shocked by this result.

He's not quite the Efren of old, but he's still the magician, and when he serves up a little magic, it's just Efren being Efren.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM - is that you in the avatar? You are a babe and a half!

To keep this about Efren ..... I'm sure Efren would agree.

Aw, shuckies. That avatar was me when I was young and dumb. Thanks! :eek:

I'm just an alley cat now. :grin-square:

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
After all that, they still congratulated each other and joked around even during the presentation. Gomez still hasn't dust off that 2nd placer finish in a finals. When will he ever get that 1st place trophy?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
After all that, they still congratulated each other and joked around even during the presentation. Gomez still hasn't dust off that 2nd placer finish in a finals. When will he ever get that 1st place trophy?

True dat.

When Gomez wins his first one, he might take off just like Efren did when he won his US Open. Up until then, he was being called the Manila Folder for losing in the finals a few times.
But, as soon as he beat Varner in 1994 US Open, he took off.

jaychi

Registered
Joey in Cali or anyone. Where can I watch it again online? I missed it. I only watched it when it was 7-5? Any downloadable video on that? Thanks!

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True dat.

When Gomez wins his first one, he might take off just like Efren did when he won his US Open. Up until then, he was being called the Manila Folder for losing in the finals a few times.
But, as soon as he beat Varner in 1994 US Open, he took off.

Manila folder is racist.
What do you call a Philipino paper boy?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a great match!!! I was lucky enough to be sitting almost front row, center of the table.

I have to disagree with Joey. Overall the match was fine, loose and neither player seemed to mind.

The one thing I don't agree with is the players getting up out of thier chair to look at a questionable leave by their opponenet. That happened quite a few times. I would rather see them stay in their chair and sit quietly.

Overall it was a very setup and run very smoothly. No issues at all.

I leave Manila later today, but really wish I could stay!!

Russ.........

I agree with Russ. It was a dramatic and exciting final match, with a little bit of everything. The large and raucous crowd got both players pretty wound up. That's to be expected. There was some emotion between the players during the match but all was forgotten after it ended. The crowd clearly pulled for Efren, even though his opponent was also filipino. They just love him here! He is a national hero, like Manny.

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
They were both jumping off their chairs as soon as the other guy missed or played safe.
They were both talking. Right after they shot to the audience.
I saw Efren blatantly move in front of Gomez while he was shooting at a ball in that corner. Gomez was blatantly moving on his chair too when Efren was shooting in the final game.
They both had microphones. It might the last time they are going to do that. They were both using foul languages after a bad shot or a bad roll.

It was a sloppy match, honestly. They each had 5 errors easily. Gomez ahead at 5-1 one time and then he let Efren inch back in. Efren looked lost early and Gomez was just cruising.

Jay was there doing the color. He commented there was a lot of sharking one time after Gomez started talking to the audience after he shot.

The ref missed one call even when Efren shot a combo but did not call it. He also sharked Gomez one time when he called a timeout even though Gomez hadn't called for one yet.

Sorry Jay, but the table looked like it played bad. It banked real short and it made a horrible sound . I'm guessing the rails aren't bolted thru the slate.

Most done for the auddiance.There trying to make it a show instead of the boring crap rotation pool has become.They did everything to speed it up for TV and they got it so fast its boring.

I wish they would
go back to 2 foul everything spots,behind the line on the break.IMO it would be a better show.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
From the mouth of the man himself...

“This win is special because there are few tournaments being held here in the Philippines,” the 56-year-old Reyes, winner of the World 9-Ball Championship in 1999, said in Filipino.
“I thought I was going to lose, 10-1, with the way Robert was playing but I guess I got lucky again.”

Well, the man is 56 years old, what else is there but luck, right?

Last edited: