Glue for reapplying cue tip

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a crappy house cue that I always break with on my garage table. The tip fell off.

Is there special glue for applying a tip that I should buy?

How do you clamp the tip to the cue or is it good enough to just let it dry without any type of clamp?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
There are lots of Glues but I will say. Loc Tite, because that is what myself and many others use.

If you are putting a tip on that is already shaped to the diameter of the shaft.

Use a Sticky Note around the shaft. Leave just enuff paper exposed over the top of the ferrule to hold the tip.

Apply a small amount of glue to the tip and drop it in the top of the Sticky Note.

With your fingers crossed and a bit of luck, the Sticky Note will center the tip as it was before.

There will be a little of the sticky note paper stuck to the ferrule but a little fine grit sand paper can take that off.

Altho, you could just put a new tip on it.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I have a crappy house cue that I always break with on my garage table. The tip fell off.

Is there special glue for applying a tip that I should buy?

How do you clamp the tip to the cue or is it good enough to just let it dry without any type of clamp?

I have used the brown gorilla glue for reapplying used tips and they never fall off again to date. Just a dab and then push the cue or shaft tip underneath a solid ledge of some kind, a desk or bookshelf that is slightly shorter and wedge it in there by sliding the butt end on something slippery like a magazine. This is all the clamping you need. Let it sit overnight.

JC

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
tweetens, clamp 30 - 40hrs, will outlast shaft

Agreed. I use Tweeten's tip cement in combination with the Willard Classic Tipping Machine (which, by design, applies the tip perfectly-centered to the ferrule on contact and keeps it there). Have done numerous tips and not a single complaint, even when allowing the Tweetens cement to dry for only 30 minutes before use.

-Sean

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't use those cheap superglue.

In my experience, it bites into the ferrule material and leaves a cavity. Only noticable on your next tip change.

use loctite if you can find some.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally use locktite 2 part epoxy. Never had a tip come off. Take a little longer to cure but gives a little extra time to reposition the tip if its off center.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the loctite for cue tips is 454...that's what my tip guy made me bring when he gave me a 'freebie'.

lights_out

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of the above, but prep work is just as important if not more. Make sure to scrape the old glue off of the ferrule and the surface is flat. If you're reapplying the old tip, sand off the old glue and make that as flat as you can as well. Any voids between the mating surfaces could cause the tip to pop off again. Or, you can take it to a cue repair person and pay $10-$20 for a new tip done right.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I believe the loctite for cue tips is 454...that's what my tip guy made me bring when he gave me a 'freebie'.

I would advice to get those in bottles instead unless you store the 454 in the fridge. My 454 just suddenly had small holes appearing when I just left it in the toolbox. Had to keep duct taping the 454. In the end, I transferred the gel into a small glue bottle.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the advice guys. As I said, it is a crappy cue that I only break with, so if I screw up and ruin it, I don't really care. Got it for free when I bought the pool table.

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I have used the brown gorilla glue for reapplying used tips and they never fall off again to date. Just a dab and then push the cue or shaft tip underneath a solid ledge of some kind, a desk or bookshelf that is slightly shorter and wedge it in there by sliding the butt end on something slippery like a magazine. This is all the clamping you need. Let it sit overnight.

JC

I use gorilla glue. It sets up within an hour if it is dampened with water.
I'll wrap a rubber band around the shaft and then stretch it over the tip.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I use gorilla glue. It sets up within an hour if it is dampened with water.
I'll wrap a rubber band around the shaft and then stretch it over the tip.

Gorilla glue is actually quite brittle when dried. I never had a success with it at all unless I wet the tip bottom with a wet tissue.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
either or

+1 for loctite ultra gel

As its a break cue, I may lean toward the 2 part epoxy.

Gorilla or loctite works.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorilla Super glue

Pat Diveney told me to use Gorilla Super Glue, not the gel, so my search is over.