Mr 600

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgUxzPB8_4

Maybe Efren did it only once but it was for $500,000. Go to 45:40 mark and watch as Efren tosses piece of paper which distracts Rodney. At 46:07 mark you can hear Rodney say "I got sharked".

Not sure if Efren "pulled a move" but it definitely sharked Rodney based on his comment.
I watched and listened to it 10 times. I don't see it at all that way and don't hear the word shark at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched and listened to it 10 times. I don't see it at all that way and don't hear the word shark at all.

I can't pinpoint it any better for you. Efren tossed the paper while Rodney was down on the shot. Rodney's comment is at the 46:07 mark. The announcer is speaking loudly and you can hear a voice say "I got sharked." That is Rodney's voice. (maybe I have clearer sound on my computer)

You can check with Rodney or Mika Immonen who I believe Rodney was speaking to when he made the comment (I could be wrong on that part but someone told me that)

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I can't pinpoint it any better for you. Efren tossed the paper while Rodney was down on the shot. Rodney's comment is at the 46:07 mark. The announcer is speaking loudly and you can hear a voice say "I got sharked." That is Rodney's voice. (maybe I have clearer sound on my computer)

You can check with Rodney or Mika Immonen who I believe Rodney was speaking to when he made the comment (I could be wrong on that part but someone told me that)

I didn't hear the word shark, but I'm still inclined to agree with you. Efren moved in Rodney's line of sight while Rodney was over the cue ball. At best, that's very poor etiquette, and at worst, it's outright sharking.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny quit whining your envy is showing through your bitterness

pool isn't played at the library,people should take care of themself

every time we review frame 12456B and low and behold somebody moved or scratched his privates or passed gas

GIVE IT A REST YOU OVER SCRUPULOUS NERDS

Last edited:

dudlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I truly do not think Rodney was sharked by the paper, even though I don't know what could been so important at that time that Efren needed to pick it up to check out.. I put on ear phones and turned up my Bose speakers, and I really believe that Rodney says something about the shot clock getting him, but I could be wrong....

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

At first I couldn't hear the "I got sharked" comment then, I put it on my TV and turned it way up and yes, Rodney most definitely said "I got sharked"....no doubt about him saying that.

I hope it was an accident because I would classify that as a "move".

Even the Magician is guilty it "seems".:shrug:

Jeff

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
At first I couldn't hear the "I got sharked" comment then, I put it on my TV and turned it way up and yes, Rodney most definitely said "I got sharked"....no doubt about him saying that.

Jeff

It was certainly inappropriate, but it was fairly minor and shouldn't have effected Rodney's shot...if it did he should have stopped and regathered himself. Regardless of what Rodney said, he was tight and missed, Efren did nothing more than reach for a bottle water while in the chair. Was it a move, maybe, but a very weak one...I'd have to give Efren the benefit.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I truly do not think Rodney was sharked by the paper, even though I don't know what could been so important at that time that Efren needed to pick it up to check out.. I put on ear phones and turned up my Bose speakers, and I really believe that Rodney says something about the shot clock getting him, but I could be wrong....

Jeff

Rodney is sharkable....two or three years ago at the Stone he was playing Earl....
...Earl was being Earl...Rodney was making fun of him behind his back....
...had a bunch of sweaters laughing.....then Earl got into stroke and took over the lead...
....Rodney got mad at some of the same guys he was entertaining before.

A great player’s attention should be on the table.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It was certainly inappropriate, but it was fairly minor and shouldn't have effected Rodney's shot...if it did he should have stopped and regathered himself. Regardless of what Rodney said, he was tight and missed, Efren did nothing more than reach for a bottle water while in the chair. Was it a move, maybe, but a very weak one...I'd have to give Efren the benefit.

Bottle of water? Are bottles of water made from sheets of paper now?

dudlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney is sharkable....two or three years ago at the Stone he was playing Earl....
...Earl was being Earl...Rodney was making fun of him behind his back....
...had a bunch of sweaters laughing.....then Earl got into stroke and took over the lead...
....Rodney got mad at some of the same guys he was entertaining before.

A great player’s attention should be on the table.

Right you are, Bob. He's like that.. And it's funny how people hear and even see different things. The other poster said he was sure he heard him say he had been sharked.. I went back and listened to it a couple of more times and I would swear I heard him say the words 'Fkkking Shot Clock'.. But unlike him, I readily admit I could be wrong...

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Bottle of water? Are bottles of water made from sheets of paper now?

Of course it was a sheet of paper he reached for and put down, clear as day. I was equating the two actions as having little difference as far as distraction, not composition.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Right you are, Bob. He's like that.. And it's funny how people hear and even see different things. The other poster said he was sure he heard him say he had been sharked.. I went back and listened to it a couple of more times and I would swear I heard him say the words 'Fkkking Shot Clock'.. But unlike him, I readily admit I could be wrong...

It’s the human condition.
I can’t remember the author....but the quote was...
“No two people read the same book.”

So I guess we should give people some leeway....although I don’t always remember that.
:embarrassed2:

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is about a 100% chance you are wrong, since, there was no Shot Clock.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgUxzPB8_4

Maybe Efren did it only once but it was for $500,000. Go to 45:40 mark and watch as Efren tosses piece of paper which distracts Rodney. At 46:07 mark you can hear Rodney say "I got sharked".

Not sure if Efren "pulled a move" but it definitely sharked Rodney based on his comment.
Go back about 10 or 15 seconds before the tossing of the paper and you see Efren reaching to deliberately pick up the piece of paper because he knows -- as any world-class player would -- that the 11-ball will be Rodney's next shot and his (Efren's) seat is so fortuitously positioned directly on the line of sight Rodney will be aiming on. Then comes the rapid, precisely-timed sweeping arm movement for the casual-seeming, but plainly premeditated "paper toss" just as Rodney's about ready to pull the trigger (and naturally misses the shot by a mile).

No need to hinge your judgment on whether if Rodney did or didn't speak the word "shark" -- just watch Rodney at 46:30 . . . knowingly nodding "I know what you just pulled" and glaring in disgust at Efren. That announces "shark move" better than any words.

I've loved Reyes for decades like the rest of the world, but when this tempting, irresistible move presented itself and might bear on the difference between a $500,000 1st place and $150,000 for 2nd . . . well, Efren plays with unearthly skill, but he's human (and he's had moves like this pulled on him hundreds of times in hundreds of places, with a ton less money at stake). So he knows how the bad guys do it, and make it look casual. Just a guy relaxing and innocently distracting himself while he's pinned in the chair.

Arnaldo (sorry to have to agree with others who also regrettably had to acknowledge it and have discussed it from time to time over the past dozen or so years.)

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure? Not even in the finals?

Yes. The IPT had a rule for slow play but had no shot clock. (Also the shot Rodney missed here took way less time than many other shots during the match) If they had put in a shot clock, then generally something sounds with 10 seconds left and the player has the option of taking an extension (if they hadn't used it). None of this existed in the IPT.

Last edited:

dudlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. The IPT had a rule for slow play but had no shot clock. (Also the shot Rodney missed here took way less time than many other shots during the match) If they had put in a shot clock, then generally something sounds with 10 seconds left and the player has the option of taking an extension (if they hadn't used it). None of this existed in the IPT.

Ah, you're right... Also Jeff said that he was sure about hearing the shark complaint, so that's got to be right...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
no one is above a little sharking now and then. The magician is known to be all up in your shot line as well. Acceptable sharking

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
look at the conditions those pinoys play in back home

hundreds of spectators shouting like a cock fight

now thats the way to play pool