hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he has a thread in the FS section

he is getting $300 and has differet joint choices
unfortunately schon is not one

his are better priced and i know of no
reason why they are not just as good

I took at look at getting one, the thing that got me from getting it is the taper, looks like one of Earl's shafts, same taper almost to end. While it may not matter, I'm a bit hesitant there to get it without having a sample to try.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hang the 9

That shaft was one of the first style of shafts I made. The new ones have a 12.5 mm 14 inch pro style taper and are shaped like a standard wood. shaft.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
These aren't full of are they? Looks like it's wood with cf wrap over top. Have one of those for my jump shaft.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you just buy the Predator Revo and the Starkey and the Cuetech and the BeCue? You spend 10's of thousands per year on cues and tables. If you buy one sample of every available CF shaft on the market today, it will only be 2k for all of them. Just do it! ha ha

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you just buy the Predator Revo and the Starkey and the Cuetech and the BeCue? You spend 10's of thousands per year on cues and tables. If you buy one sample of every available CF shaft on the market today, it will only be 2k for all of them. Just do it! ha ha

I agree.

If not for the wife killing me, I would do exactly that.

If timing was right, a person would most likely be in a position to turn a profit if they had all of them at this time.

Not often can a person buy a new cue and sell it for a hefty profit same day. Just ridiculous when I think about it.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
he has a thread in the FS section

he is getting $300 and has differet joint choices
unfortunately schon is not one

his are better priced and i know of no
reason why they are not just as good

As many here know, I'm in technical manufacturing and am a plastics assembly engineer (to put it as mildly and layman as possible). I am in the network of all things plastic, Carbon Fiber included.

I trust that Chuck did his due diligence. All Carbon Fiber products (composites) are not equal. Not by a long shot. A final product is made in multiple process. The final result is a sum of the processes. Considering there are at least two major methods of binding the carbon fiber, and four classifications of the carbon fiber itself, the final products really should be (and sort of are in the industry) referred to in two distinct separate binding categories. One of them is dreadful for cues.

There are a few other methods that are probably the strongest, but I never see anywhere but trade shows. Too expensive to do, I gather. To put some of these as somehow the same as any other carbon fiber product is, to put it bluntly, ridiculous.

Sincere good luck to Chuck Starkey. He does some amazing work.

Freddie <~~~ Plastics R Us

Last edited:

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean, Chuck does have a piloted 5/16-14 that I have been useing on my Schon. I have one if the older shafts with the long straight taper that I think is awesome. As soon as I can scrape together a few more bucks will be ordering another for a radial pin.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok
chuck i making me one for my schon
I will report back my findings
then I will loan it to Jackpot,he actually shoots good pool
his report might be better

after that i will either play it or sell it as you guys know
i just like to try things out

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one being shipped today
i will try it first

jackpot says he is willing to borrow it when i realize
its not for me

i tried the revo and can not really remember why i let it go so fast

i have never really given any of the high tech shsfts have a fair chance

i have ordered a bunch of shafts to try ,i usually get a decent price because i buy in bulk
sometimes i find a good shaft that i really like and sell the rest

i seldom end up losing and it is fun

i need a case that will hold a bunch of shafts,let me know if you have one
ugly is ok

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As many here know, I'm in technical manufacturing and am a plastics assembly engineer (to put it as mildly and layman as possible). I am in the network of all things plastic, Carbon Fiber included.

I trust that Chuck did his due diligence. All Carbon Fiber products (composites) are not equal. Not by a long shot. A final product is made in multiple process. The final result is a sum of the processes. Considering there are at least two major methods of binding the carbon fiber, and four classifications of the carbon fiber itself, the final products really should be (and sort of are in the industry) referred to in two distinct separate binding categories. One of them is dreadful for cues.

There are a few other methods that are probably the strongest, but I never see anywhere but trade shows. Too expensive to do, I gather. To put some of these as somehow the same as any other carbon fiber product is, to put it bluntly, ridiculous.

Sincere good luck to Chuck Starkey. He does some amazing work.

Freddie <~~~ Plastics R Us

Now I'm really confused! :thumbup:
I had no idea Freddie was an engineer, let alone a Plastic guru. I always thought he was just another pool player trying to get the best of it. HA HA!
I truly appreciate Fred's explanation regarding the relative value of certain carbon fiber shafts. In fact I would love to see him have an opportunity to make comparisons for those of us who are less educated.

My brother was an engineer and a doctor no less, so I have great respect for those who have learned these respective trades. Without good engineering we would be back in the Dark ages. Everything that makes our life great comes from the minds of good engineers. Whether they are school taught or self educated it does not matter. It's the finished product that does matter. Engineers built that walkway that collapsed in Florida shortly after it opened and engineers have taken us to the Moon and the outer reaches of our solar system. So hat's off to all the good engineers and boo to the bad ones.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I'm really confused! :thumbup:
I had no idea Freddie was an engineer, let alone a Plastic guru. I always thought he was just another pool player trying to get the best of it. HA HA!
I truly appreciate Fred's explanation regarding the relative value of certain carbon fiber shafts. In fact I would love to see him have an opportunity to make comparisons for those of us who are less educated.

My brother was an engineer and a doctor no less, so I have great respect for those who have learned these respective trades. Without good engineering we would be back in the Dark ages. Everything that makes our life great comes from the minds of good engineers. Whether they are school taught or self educated it does not matter. It's the finished product that does matter. Engineers built that walkway that collapsed in Florida shortly after it opened and engineers have taken us to the Moon and the outer reaches of our solar system. So hat's off to all the good engineers and boo to the bad ones.

Couple thoughts Jay …. there have been many advancements / great ideas that have come from lay persons, not all are from engineers. Also, I haven't read much info on that bridge failure in FL but I would put huge money that it was the GC building it and not the engineers who are to blame.

BTW - Can you spot me 9-6 for some $20 1P games? I haven't hit a ball in months... :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Couple thoughts Jay …. there have been many advancements / great ideas that have come from lay persons, not all are from engineers. Also, I haven't read much info on that bridge failure in FL but I would put huge money that it was the GC building it and not the engineers who are to blame.

BTW - Can you spot me 9-6 for some $20 1P games? I haven't hit a ball in months... :)

Self educated and lay persons are one and the same to me.
Guess what? I was thinking of asking you for 9-6 since I also hadn't been playing for months. What a coincidence! :D

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that the Carbon Fiber shaft Danny Smith had shipped to New Orleans?
I got a close look at it at Buffalo’s